Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by 3D87C4
folks seem to prefer the LS engines

The LS is a newer and better engine. So strong hot rodders call it "Created by The Hand of God" and that would make it mighty powerful

Im waiting for the engine/computer/digital dashboard/ASR/ABS flaw to be fixed. I can see myself doing this to The Ghost. I hope it happens within 5 years.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:02 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX

Im waiting for the engine/computer/digital dashboard/ASR/ABS flaw to be fixed.
You and me both ...
Old 12-17-2011, 02:12 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I sold most of my stuff individually on flebay. List your heads as ZZ4 if they are 113s. If they are 128s list them as aluminum corvette heads.
List your Intake runners plenum and PCM with the old TPI harness as a TPI swap.
Sell the short block separate.You will get more money this way. Otheywise you are limited to one local who will want it all vs all the people looking for individual parts.
Interesting approach, thanks.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:03 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Updates Please
Old 12-24-2011, 04:30 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

The shop is taking a holiday break so no news.

The old ECM is retained as an interface to the dash and other systems so some wire harness work will be done prior to installing the engine & tranny. The TCU, AC bracket and a host of smaller stuff still need to be purchased.

I've been lurking on other forums PM'ing potential buyers for the old engine. They were both working well so I'd really like them to find a good home, and a little cash wouldn't hurt either.

My next credit card bill is going to be interesting what with this project, Christmas presents, & a new drysuit. I did sell the exercise equipment mentioned in an earlier post, and accepted a tender offer for some shares of a company I used to work for, so there are some plus' in the ballance sheet too. I set asside the cash for this project when I got the original quote, but hate spending money and am glad to have a little coming in now that it's happening.

Wishing you all the best this Christmas Eve.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:23 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

The shop is taking a holiday break so no news.

The old ECM is retained as an interface to the dash and other systems so some wire harness work will be done prior to installing the engine & tranny. The TCU, AC bracket and a host of smaller stuff still need to be purchased.

I've been lurking on other forums PM'ing potential buyers for the old engine. They were both working well so I'd really like them to find a good home, and a little cash wouldn't hurt either.

My next credit card bill is going to be interesting what with this project, Christmas presents, & a new drysuit. I did sell the exercise equipment mentioned in an earlier post, and accepted a tender offer for some shares of a company I used to work for, so there are some plus' in the ballance sheet too. I set asside the cash for this project when I got the original quote, but hate spending money and am glad to have a little coming in now that it's happening.

Wishing you all the best this Christmas Eve.
Remember, sales taxes are deductible.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:17 AM
C4orce2
Racer

Just saw this thread for the first time this morning. Glad to see the project is under way. I know how you feel about the cost, but once you are in the car and have all the bugs worked out (there will be some) you will know it was all worth it. Not sure if I told you about the pics of my build where the LS376/480 was installed. If you want to see it, google "C4orce2" and look for the photobucket. There is an album there about the build with some 30 pics, and one with two videos taken while the car was being tuned on a loaded dyno. Sometime in the future we should try to get together with other C4/LS3 guys and compare. Right now it is a very small club, but our numbers will grow!

Last edited by C4orce2; 12-28-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 AM
C4orce2
Racer

Originally Posted by PLRX

The LS is a newer and better engine. So strong hot rodders call it "Created by The Hand of God" and that would make it mighty powerful

Im waiting for the engine/computer/digital dashboard/ASR/ABS flaw to be fixed. I can see myself doing this to The Ghost. I hope it happens within 5 years.
On my build a gentleman from Florida (now a good friend) built an interface that tied the new E67 computer to the old C4 computer. That saved all the digital functions on the dash. The only functions we did not attempt to save were the traction control and the cruise control. The builders thought they could solve those problems if I wanted them to but I told them not to waste the time and money doing so. I believe there are other products out now that can save the dashboard digital functions. Mine was custom made (only the third one he made) and works great. As more C4 owners want to install LS3s I'm sure this type of product will be developed. However, with 429rwhp and 442rwtq (measured on a loaded dyno) I do wish I had traction control!
Old 12-28-2011, 12:18 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by C4orce2
On my build a gentleman from Florida (now a good friend) built an interface that tied the new E67 computer to the old C4 computer. That saved all the digital functions on the dash. The only functions we did not attempt to save were the traction control and the cruise control. The builders thought they could solve those problems if I wanted them to but I told them not to waste the time and money doing so. I believe there are other products out now that can save the dashboard digital functions. Mine was custom made (only the third one he made) and works great. As more C4 owners want to install LS3s I'm sure this type of product will be developed. However, with 429rwhp and 442rwtq (measured on a loaded dyno) I do wish I had traction control!
Does the ABS at least function?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:56 PM
C4orce2
Racer

Yes, the ABS does work.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Cavi
Pro

Cforce, you don't need traction control, you have it , it is your right foot.........
Old 12-28-2011, 01:38 PM
C4orce2
Racer

Originally Posted by Cavi
Cforce, you don't need traction control, you have it , it is your right foot.........
Not unlike another part of my body, sometimes my right foot has a mind of its own.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Traction control isn't an option in my '87.

The cruise control functionality is apparently disabled in the (drive by wire) ECM that comes with the EROD so that's falling by the wayside as well. The Dakota Data CRS 3000 may be an option.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:54 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

ABS works, huh? If my 91 LT5 drove over its crankshaft tomorrow, I'd be all over that swap then. Of course it will never happen, but it would be a much more economical way to get a big displacement increase into these cars.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:01 PM
subtlez28
Racer

Subscribed!

These new LS C4 swaps are helping me get motivated. I haven't worked on my swap in a year now.

As for the LS vs SBC debate. My stance should be clear. I actually test drove a V-8 swapped S-10 a few weeks ago (I wanted a turn key hot-rod). It had an old school carbed 350. Thing was quick, but I just don't think I can go back to SBCs and especially carbs anymore. Throttle response and just plain smooth power of an LS1 (or 3) just wasn't there. My 02 Z28 spoiled me.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Had to give an update to my co-workers in yesterday's staff meeting so figure I should do so here as well:
  • The shop has been working on the wiring & fuel system while the engine is out.
  • They'll be installing the fly-by-wire gas pedal & motor mounts soon.
  • The old L98 is still available & I've been making a pest of myself on a couple of forums trying to sell it. A few people have contacted the shop & we hope to sell it soon.
  • The credit card bill for the engine, tranny, torque converter & accessories, Christmas & more arrived Monday & I'm shoveling large stacks of cash from one pile to another getting ready to cut a check. (Don't take that literally---if you break into my house you'll only find banjos.)
  • We're going to have to buy a transmission controler soon: I'm leaning toward the FAST EZ-TCU system. Anyone have any experience or opinions on that?

We're having a bit of a drought here & I'm missing the vette. I really wish it would pour so I'd be happy driving the truck. The latest estimate is the swap will be done this month. I'll bet February will be very wet.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm shoveling large stacks of cash from one pile to another
If you need someone to help shovel from those piles let me know

Get notified of new replies

To Erod ls3

Old 01-05-2012, 02:26 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Get in line.

It's funny how much help you can get spending money & how hard it can be getting it to flow the other way. We had a layoff here a couple of months ago and a friend is really struggling to find a new position. I circulated their resume, but don't know how else to help.

I'm frankly embarrassed to discuss the money involved here---I'm not into conspicuous consumption, have a tiny house, 10 year old shoes & 130K+ miles on my truck---but there's no getting around the fact that opting for new components & having someone else do the swap is the expensive way to go. If I'm lucky I've got another 10-15 years to enjoy this car & figure if I don't get a little fun out of my savings now it'll just go to my boys. Life is short.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

In another swap they did, it looks like they removed half of the heater/AC box under the hood to fit the engine. I haven't seen this on other swaps. Did they do it just to get it in or is that something they do that is permanent? They mention you could replace it something smaller....Are they doing that to yours?
Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Cavi
Pro

3d, you are doing it correctly, if I was to do it I would also be hireing it out and looking over their shoulders with lots of research to show them and make sure the mistakes were minimized....

Quick Reply: Erod ls3