C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Sunviors replacement time? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Sunviors replacement time? Pics

Ive been driving my fathers 96CE a lot while my car is being pieced together. So I was getting a little tired of my pops ratty dog earred sun visors. So I decided to replace them for him as an Early Christmas present.

I took a few photos so you can see what is involved. If your a NCRSer please check out of this thread now as these are not 100% correct replacements but they look pretty damn good. These are the $69.99 replacements you can get on Ebay lately.

Step 1.

After rmoving the roof you are faced with a small plastic plate cover which covers the spring threaded sunvisor rod. A T-10 bit is required. Once removing the 2 bolts pull up at angle from the corner of the windshied as this plate has two tuck under tabs

Step 2.

Now with the plastic plate out of the way remove the threaded nut that holds the visor to the roof. It comes off real easy. Make a note of how much thread is above the nut. When it comes to the install of the new visor if you overtighten on the reinstall the rod WILL snap.

Step 3.

This parts sucks as there is no easy way to do it and its in tight quarters. You need to take two small flat bladed screw drivers and try to pry up each side of this spring retainer cap upwards. The pot metal threads may complain a bit but it will come up and can easliy be reused when you install the new visors.

Step 4.

Now with the spring cap removed you can pull the small spring out exposing a bit of ole nasty GM grease but more importantly a naked and free sun visor thread rod. Now go inside the car and remove the closest trim screw surrounding the rod. There is one on the left and one on the right. Pictured here is one on the right.

Last edited by Goldcylon; 12-04-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Step 5.

With both of the inner windshield trim piece screws out of the way stop here for a moment. Now go back up top side and tap the threaded sunvisor rod from above and the sunvisor will drop down into the cabin. Gently tug and the wiring will pop through the threaded rod hole. Look for the connector as pictured. A small jewelers screw driver will allow you to seperate the connector.

Step 6.

Chuck your old sun visor on the driveway. Reconnect the New sunvisor light plug into your harness and reverse the above steps. Really a simple job. Just dont overtighten the threaded sun visor rod on the install. GC

Heres is how they look and as you can see they have sunvisor air bag warning stickers and the black material looks OEM against our black headliners.

I left the light off here to avoid flashout. These replacements dont have a switch
to turn off and on anymore to forget. A little white microswitch above the mirror turns on the lights when the door is flipped up and open.

On my car I used the drivers Homelink visor also available on Ebay. It just plugs in the same way as these visors do and you just program it like a garage door opener. Kinda sweet to have some C6 Tech in our old C4s.

Have fun GC

Last edited by Goldcylon; 12-04-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:52 AM
91 corvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks I need to do that this winter.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:30 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

Good tips! Thanks Daryll!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:54 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 249 Likes on 115 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Great write up. I'll be doing mine over the winter, but i'm having a friend reupholster them rather than buy new ones, i still think they are kind of pricey to buy new, but that homelink option is sweet.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:42 AM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write-up!
Old 11-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Thanks fellers.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:00 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Good thread Cyclon. If I had to do it again, I will buy the new visors without mirrors. Those two
are about 75% of the interior rattling.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:45 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by PLRX
Good thread Cyclon. If I had to do it again, I will buy the new visors without mirrors. Those two
are about 75% of the interior rattling.
The only one that uses the sunvisor light in my car is the sposual support unit. I use the homelink only and ocassionally to block out the sun.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

I have those visors on my workbench and was going to look for an instructional thread on this task. Thanks for the write up
Old 12-04-2011, 12:28 PM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Goldcylon

On my car I used the drivers Homelink visor also available on Ebay. It just plugs in the same way as these visors do and you just program it like a garage door opener. Kinda sweet to have some C6 Tech in our old C4s.
Great write-up, Goldie.

Sorry to be out of the loop, but was is "Homelink"?
Old 12-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Doesn't the spring cap cover just unscrew out? Couldn't you use a long jaw needle nose to screw it out?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by johnnymo63
Great write-up, Goldie.

Sorry to be out of the loop, but what is "Homelink"?

Home link is a brand name for a smart programmable remote control that can open garage doors, Turn on lights and open gates. Its one remote that serves multiple seperate funtions. The beauty is this is C5/C6 technology that you can have in our C4. Mine opens two garage door and the gate to my community.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNVISOR-Cor...item4cf5fc5bfe

As you can see the remote is a part of the visor. No more ugly clip on remote or fob fumbling for the remote just reach up and press the button. 2000s technology real clean. GC
Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Strick
Doesn't the spring cap cover just unscrew out? Couldn't you use a long jaw needle nose to screw it out?
No its down real tight and there is little to no room for long nose pilers to get in to grap to make the turn. Dont worry about bending the tines a little they are easily put back into shape and reuse. Its entirely possible all my long noses were too fat. Longnose pilers always tend to slip on me and two much pressure can bend the cap as well.

Last edited by Goldcylon; 12-07-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:55 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Nice writeup. Thanks!!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

Finally got around to doing this.
The write up was spot on!
Thanks again for taking the time to do this
Old 01-02-2012, 06:17 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow what great timing I'm getting ready to replace mine. Thanks for the all the tips.

Get notified of new replies

To Sunviors replacement time? Pics

Old 01-03-2012, 11:15 AM
speedycat3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine as a birthday present on my 93 Ruby.
I got the GM parts and I am hoping that they will last at least 10 years or so, as they seem to be just as cheaply made as the original.
Not a bad job all in all, took about 20 minutes for each side.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced my sun visors today and found a little trick that helped a lot. Removing and replacing the spring retainer is a big pain in the butt. The driver side came off pretty easy but replacing it was a different matter. I couldn't get enough down force and turn it at the same time to start the threads. The spring under it is pretty strong and compressing down enough to start the retainer was nearly impossible. After many attempts I drilled two small holes in the retainer and used needle nose pliers in the holes and could push and start the retainer on the threads. It made a big difference so on the other side I drilled the holes before removing and it came off and went back on in a snap. The picture shows one hole but I did drill another one. Just a little thing that made the job much easier. Hope this helps someone.
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2012, 09:36 PM
speedycat3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrmtrtrnd
I replaced my sun visors today and found a little trick that helped a lot. Removing and replacing the spring retainer is a big pain in the butt. The driver side came off pretty easy but replacing it was a different matter. I couldn't get enough down force and turn it at the same time to start the threads. The spring under it is pretty strong and compressing down enough to start the retainer was nearly impossible. After many attempts I drilled two small holes in the retainer and used needle nose pliers in the holes and could push and start the retainer on the threads. It made a big difference so on the other side I drilled the holes before removing and it came off and went back on in a snap. The picture shows one hole but I did drill another one. Just a little thing that made the job much easier. Hope this helps someone.
My wife gave me a set of original GM"s as a Birthday gift, and I was able to even re use the older retainers. I used a short adjustable painter's pole to hold the shaft in place so I could use both hands to push down and get the thread started. Both went in with no issues.

Quick Reply: Sunviors replacement time? Pics