Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

LT1 vs. LT4 vs 383 stroker-best engine???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Vettehokie
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 vs. LT4 vs 383 stroker-best engine???

When I am really able to finally pull the trigger and buy a C4, what are the CF members thoughts on these engines, as far as design (good and bad),maintenance, driveability, passing emissions tests and any other issues that may weigh in on the decision on which engine to go with when purchasing a C4 for daily tooling around. ALWAYS enjoy reading the many opinions of the CF crowd in all the different CF departments...very knowledgeable people...gaining knowledge which will help me in the future......Thanks to all that take the time to share their smarts,shortcuts and good humor with the C4 community....
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

The LT4 is highly regarded, but any c4 engine has great potential.
Stock wise the TPI 85-91 are a great torque engine with power everywhere, only limited with medium high rpm they run out of puff at around 5,500 in stock form. They were made to be like a tractor.
Torque is what accelerates a car horsepower is for high speed and to sell engines

The LT1 is a great revving engine, but it lacks a bit in low down torque.
They are slightly faster than a stock TPI, more suited to high rpm use.

The LT4 has a bit more h/p

The LT5 ZR1 is the pick of the bunch with 92-95 having 415hp, compared to the early ones 375hp. These engines are as bullet proof as you can get from the factory. Not uncommon to see 600hp ones built, but do your research so you are dealing with an LT5 expert.

The c4 engines have great potential, however best start with a low mile vette you can find and look for the danna 44 diff.
The half axles are a weak spot as they are thin aluminum, i have had steel ones made they wont twist

So in short get a ZR1 if your budget permits, that will give you the best bang for the buck. And is a great all round base

But that said you can put a intercooled blower on a stock TPI and do (standard) ZR1 quarter mile times low 12 sec quarter's, keeping the great low down torque and fuel economy.

Have seen plenty TPI and LT1 vettes do a lot better,
4 bolt mains, steel crank, race rods, aftermarket aluminum heads and headers. But remember a stock ZR1 is cheap compared to many thousands spent on the engine trans and diff on a non ZR1 C4.

Hope it helps you decide, what ever vette you get you will always have a smile when you are behind the wheel.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
remember a stock ZR1 is cheap compared to many thousands spent on the engine trans and diff on a non ZR1 C4.
Same diff and trans as any other manual C4
Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Stock wise the TPI 85-91 are a great torque engine with power everywhere, only limited with medium high rpm they run out of puff at around 5,500 in stock form. They were made to be like a tractor.
Torque is what accelerates a car horsepower is for high speed and to sell engines

The LT5 ZR1 is the pick of the bunch with 92-95 having 415hp, compared to the early ones 375hp. These engines are as bullet proof as you can get from the factory. Not uncommon to see 600hp ones built, but do your research so you are dealing with an LT5 expert.

The c4 engines have great potential, however best start with a low mile vette you can find and look for the danna 44 diff.
The half axles are a weak spot as they are thin aluminum, i have had steel ones made they wont twist

So in short get a ZR1 if your budget permits, that will give you the best bang for the buck. And is a great all round base

But that said you can put a intercooled blower on a stock TPI and do (standard) ZR1 quarter mile times low 12 sec quarter's, keeping the great low down torque and fuel economy.

4 bolt mains, steel crank, race rods, aftermarket aluminum heads and headers. But remember a stock ZR1 is cheap compared to many thousands spent on the engine trans and diff on a non ZR1 C4.

Hope it helps you decide, what ever vette you get you will always have a smile when you are behind the wheel.
In my opinion, your advise and comments need work.

HP wins races.....always has.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

horse power doesnt get you out of the hole, tourqe does. Race you with the same engines..you can have 30 more horses..I get 30 more pounds of tourqe, both being over a broad power band line,..beat you every single time in the 1/4.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 11-04-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Yes Hose power does win races, if you want a 2000 hp engine to win races. However how many use a 2000 hp car on the roads?

"Remember the question (daily tooling around)" and passes emission testing

It is just my advise to some one, i know everyone sees things differently. A ZR1 is the best starting point for horsepower in my opinion. i saw one on ebay just the other day with low miles and 600+ horse power all the work done for you. Just buy it turn the key and drive Cheap way to start with a decent fast vette.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Lot cheaper to build a SBC, LOTS.
They cost an absolute fortune to mod, unless you buy one done forget it.

If you have a 383 you wont want a 350
If you have a 400 you wont want a 383 and so on

Noones taking 350s out and putting 327s in for a reason.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
horse power doesnt get you out of the hole, tourqe does. Race you with the same engines..you can have 30 more horses..I get 30 more pounds of tourqe, both being over a broad power band line,..beat you every single time in the 1/4.
No you won't.... you do not understand acceleration.

If both cars are set-up appropriately for the combination, the HP vehicle will win "everytime"....
Old 11-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Yes Hose power does win races, if you want a 2000 hp engine to win races. However how many use a 2000 hp car on the roads?

"Remember the question (daily tooling around)" and passes emission testing

It is just my advise to some one, i know everyone sees things differently. A ZR1 is the best starting point for horsepower in my opinion. i saw one on ebay just the other day with low miles and 600+ horse power all the work done for you. Just buy it turn the key and drive Cheap way to start with a decent fast vette.
I see things from the view of the dragstrip running street/strip cars. HP wins.... this is proven every single weekend at dragstrips across America. You have to understand what is "actually" happening when a street/strip car goes to the track or accelerates on the street.... I can teach you about this if you want. You'll learn, what is important is the Average HP that your motor makes in the final 1600-1800 rpm of operation. (Depends on your slap-back rpm as to what the band of rpm is)
Old 11-05-2011, 09:48 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

It depends on what you are going to use it for. At autox's I consistently beat the ZR-1's, they are heavy in the front end and don't handle as well as mine.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:08 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

The '90-'92 engines came stock with 375 horsepower 370 ft. lb of torque, the '93-'95 engines in stock form were 405 horsepower and 385 ft. lb.

The only way to get the dana 44 is with the 6 speed manual, if not intending to spend every day tracking the car the dana 36 will hold up just fine.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Noones taking 350s out and putting 327s in for a reason.
Just got that recommendation for my track car!

Hokie is back.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:16 PM
96_vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Torque gets you there.

Horsepower holds you there.

Last edited by 96_vette; 11-05-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:12 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

for daily tooling around any of the C4's engines will do you just fine.

Until you get one, then you want to go faster even though you never will because of BS speed limits.

I had an L98 and it was great for me and what I did. I now have an LS1 and I can feel the difference, but it's still not a great difference just tooling around. But when you stomp it, it is.

If it were me I would go with an LT4 if I could find one to my liking and price range. so close to the LS1 you won;t know the difference if there is any actually.

I would not go with an LT5 unless it was going to be strictly a weekender and/or show car because they are getting older and why trash such a great car driving it everyday. It should be preserved IMO.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Vettehokie
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks to all who responded to my question...

I knew I was going to get many different opinions and thoughts concerning this subject and I was happy I did. That's what make's the CF crowd so valuable to new guys like me (and also all other CFers'), everyone looked at the question from a different perspective. I just threw the question out there and I wanted to see what "twists and turns" it took and it certainly did...technical stuff...motor talk....drag
racing.....autocross....everyone had valid points in their responses and were able to back up their answer with their own experiences (real life and/or horsepower/torque numbers). If it's out there when I'm ready, I am leaning towards a LT4 with the right color...."Timing is everything in Life" they say and so I hope timing will be on my side when I'm ready....Thanks again to all and really appreciate your input on all levels of CF....

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 vs. LT4 vs 383 stroker-best engine???

Quick Reply: LT1 vs. LT4 vs 383 stroker-best engine???