C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bad Week

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Dude59
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Week

So my week began with my 96 LT4 CE having been recently cleaned and detailed and new oil change. Then it sprinkles everyday just enough to leave water spots. Then Wednesday morning, while I am driving it and enjoying it I am pulling through a parking lot and a Chevy Silverado backs into me ripping the fiberglass in the rear driver's side quarter. Then to add insult to injury, a bird decides to drop a large amount of feces on my windshield. My poor beautiful car. On the bright side, the police gave him a ticket and declared it his fault, and he has insurance. Also the rear fiberglass piece that holds the tail lights and has "corvette" indented into it was already cracked by the previous owner(although from 5-10' away you would never notice) but now his insurance should be hopefully buying that $450 piece and painting it. I already started the claim they are supposed to call Monday and let me know. sorry, no camera so no pics. its not horrible, just saddens me after I try to take care of the car. I just finished all new plugs, wires, opti spark, exhaust header gaskets, oil change, and new front tires, all in the last 2 months, and my check engine light just went out a couple weeks ago. and now this.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:08 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It always rains just enough to mess up the wax job.....just after you wax it. It usually is a downpour on mine. I've been thinking of driving it to Texas and taking my own bottled water to wash it. Call myself a "Rainmaker". If I make it rain on your crops you can pay me money. I'd get rich. Every time I tell you.......every time.

It looks like you're going to luck out on the free body work. That was a good thing not an accident. Be happy about that. The birds....well, that just always happens to a clean car. They've got aim and real good at it. If our bombers were that accurate in WW 2 the war would have been over a year earlier.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:01 PM
1963SS
Drifting

There's no fraud at all my friend. The rear fascia is almost never repaired, it is replaced. If the guy tore it up his insurance needs to fix it. Quite plain and simple. The fact that it had a little prior damage that was barely visible is not even an issue. What would you have them do? Put on a new piece and then rip it where the old one was ripped.

Geesh, remember guys, we're one big happy family. I'm sure Dude feels bad and silly Dragon talk isn't helping. His Vette's busted....give him a break.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:05 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Man that was a BAD week.

Originally Posted by 1963SS
The birds....well, that just always happens to a clean car. They've got aim and real good at it. If our bombers were that accurate in WW 2 the war would have been over a year earlier.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:39 AM
doc_cj
Instructor

Man, that was a bad week. On the bright side ... you're not this guy ...

Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 AM
1963SS
Drifting

Either the mods have been here or my second post was a LSD flashback from the 60's. Did I just think I saw a post? What.....am I talking to myself. Good job mods. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Either the mods have been here or my second post was a LSD flashback from the 60's. Did I just think I saw a post? What.....am I talking to myself. Good job mods. Thanks.
Yeah....I saw a bit of a continuity issue and figured the mods have cleaned house. I never did acid, so you're in the clear. It's about the only thing I never did

To the OP....keep your chin up....when it rains it pours.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then to add insult to injury, a bird decides to drop a large amount of feces on my windshield. My poor beautiful car. On the bright side, the police gave him a ticket and declared it his fault, and he has insurance.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune...

But,isn't that a little harsh on the bird?

Besides that, who sells birds insurance?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:31 PM
1963SS
Drifting

.....and how do you know the bird was a "He". Did you check?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point!

But he probably did have a 'birds eye' view.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:14 AM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He was just putting the icing on Dude's cake......
Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Third landing gear?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:08 PM
DRidgeway
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doc_cj
Man, that was a bad week. On the bright side ... you're not this guy ...

If feel better now !!!!!
Hopefully soon you'll have a perfectly matched bumper and looking good again!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Dude59
Heel & Toe

thanks for the kind words. I am glad I don't own that jeep. Going to call the insurance company again today, they called on Saturday left a message, I called them back and they still haven't replied. Hopefully I'll get it sorted soon.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Dude59
Heel & Toe

Bad week turned into bad month a half. after three weeks i finally got to talk to a real person at progressive, finally took it to the local chevy dealer. due to the insurance company forcing them to go at it cheap, they have wasted 18 days trying to repair my damaged bumper cover that i could have told them they couldn't fix, then ordering me a refurbished one, that didn't work, so they ordered a used one, which was in worse condition than my original, and finally they decided to drop $1200 on a brand new GM one. which is great, but in a hurry to get it back to me the body shop failed to prep the piece or finish it properly and tried to give it back to me with a 4 inch scratch, and several rough edges that were wavy and looking terrible. now I'm back in a rental. oh and because I don't have full coverage on my car I have to pay for the insurance on the rental so that I don't have to worry about it. the other guy's insurance is paying for the rental, but not the rental cars optional insurance. although the dealer is paying for the insurance from now on as it is their fault the car was not finished properly. needless to say I'm very frustrated, I just want my car back. and as a Marine currently I am used to having a foul mouth at work with everyone I deal with so I'm trying to bite my tongue before I start verbally harassing the insurance company. all this because someone didn't check before backing up and hit me at less than 5 mph.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Alan777
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's the other guys fault why aren't they replacing it with a new part? Argue with his insurance until they do it right. They'll always try and screw you.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:05 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Progressive Insurance, huh? You should've been wringing Flo's neck for all the crap you've been through! Geez, what a bunch of idiots. "Let's fix the total'd floppy one". Nope, that didn't work. "Let's get a 'used one' torn off some other poor 'Vette in a yard, that's been sitting around for how many years? Nope, that didn't work and now "Let's buy a new one and do a crappy job putting it on and painting it".

Semper Fi, bro, cause I'd want to go ballistic on the phone as well!

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Week

Old 12-01-2011, 09:36 PM
rosros
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts

There is nothing wrong with a recondition, aftermarket or used (same year or newer) bumper cover. No blaming the insurance, Blame the crappy body shop. A good shop knows how to fit up the bumper properly and more important do a proper prep to raw plastic. also make sure they add flex to their paint.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Dude59
Heel & Toe

Well, after 5 weeks in rental cars they finally "finished" my car. The bodywork itself is what i would consider pretty good, it looks on par with all the original parts. My problem now is that the paint is blatantly not matching, I know that trying to match 15 year old paint is not going to be perfect but its just a little too off and it is going to annoy me everytime I walk around my car. Unfortunatly I lost all faith in the dealership I had it at and I just wanted it back. After the holidays I am going to take it to a more reputable body shop and see if they think they can do a better job, or if I just need to get the whole body repainted so its all the same coat. Really quite mad now a 5 mph bump because someone can't look behind them when they back up, now my 70,000 mile car has an accident on record, new body parts and its been and becoming more of a headache.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Tiger05
Instructor

He could tell by the pecker.

Quick Reply: Bad Week