C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

95-96 Sport Seat Air Bladder Repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:23 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Default 95-96 Sport Seat Air Bladder Repair

Have searched but have not found replacement bladders or much of anything for the 95-96 Sport Seats....anyone know where to get parts at?
Are there any videos that show reparing of these seats?
Old 10-15-2011, 08:59 AM
ZONER-95
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Found this on the ZR-1 Registry site.....

18. TITLE - The inflatable seat bladder won't pump up.

YEAR(S) - All

PROBLEM - Common problem is for the inflatable seat bladder for your back stops working. The pump is ok but the actuated bellows housing membrane has rupture.

CORRECTION - Instead of replacing the whole pump from GM you can order just the membrane from the manufacture Jasco Products in Sun Valley, CA. Their phone number is 818-504-2516. Ask for Ramona. Also you will find an article on replacing this piece in the May '95 issue of Corvette Fever.

Another fix from member Mike Zeeff:

If your one of the 99% of ZR-1 owners whose seat bladders don't work, then try this procedure. I know you can order the diaphragms from Jasco, but here is a better fix for 99 cents. Some of the info came from the vette net by Jim Mason, but I found an easier way to make the fix. Both of my diaphragms were blown out on my 90 ZR-1. Total time to fix both sides was 45 minutes total.

1. Purchase a pair of latex rubber dishwashing gloves from your local 5&10. Make sure they are the heavy duty kind, and not the ones the thickness of a condom. Also make sure they have a good portion of flat texture on the cuff. You'll need enough to cut out two 1" round diaphragms.

2. Remove the lower seat cushion. There is a wire retainer at the front bottom of the seat. Carefully flip the seat bottom up and out of the way to expose the bladder pump. It is the one with the tubings attached to it.

3. On one one end of the pump you will notice two small phillips head screws, holding on a retaining plate. Remove both screws and the retaining plate. The bottom one is a little hard, but it can be done with a small jewelers screwdriver. You do not have to remove the pump itself.

4. Once you remove the retainer, you can wiggle out the diaphragm assembly. It has three tubes attached to it on one end, and the plunger assembly on the other. If your diaphragm is busted, then the plunger will be separated.

5.The diaphragm assembly, is held together by four small bolts and nuts. Remove all four, and break apart the diagram assembly. You can now take it to your workbench.

6. By this time you will clearly see how the diaphragm works. Pull the old diaphragm out, and use it as a template for your new one. Once you cut out a new one, you can mount it on the plunger. Since there is a screw that retains the diagram to the plunger, it is a good idea to use a small dab of silicon sealer to the screw hole.

7. Re-assemble the entire diaphragm assembly and pump. Be careful to get the plunger back on the motor rod.

8. Test the unit before you put on the retaining plate. You will see the pump motor spinning the plunger. Make sure it is inflating the bladders.

9. Enjoy your sport seats.

SERVICE BULLETIN/RECALL - No
Old 10-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

as a follow up to the above post, here is basically the same fix but a little more detailed info from the zr-1 registry -

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showpost.ph...93&postcount=1

Old 10-15-2011, 11:09 AM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The seat bladder air pump in my '94 does not have a diaphragm. I don't think any of the later years have them, either.

In any case, the OP said he needed a source for replacement bladders, not pump repair.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by anciano
The seat bladder air pump in my '94 does not have a diaphragm. I don't think any of the later years have them, either.

In any case, the OP said he needed a source for replacement bladders, not pump repair.
My 95 has centrifugal vanes...no diaphram as such.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:13 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Yep....the pump works fine....it is just that the lower back bladder does not inflate...so I assume it has a hole in it.

I am planning ahead as the worst case repair is replacing the bladders....just have not found any parts at all...seat foam and seat covers....$1200....yikes.....but no blader parts.

Last edited by LannyL81; 10-17-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:41 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by LannyL81
I am planning ahead as the worst case repair is replacing the bladders....just have not found any parts at all...seat foam and seat covers....$1200....yikes.....but no blader parts.
I'm in the same boat - driver's side bolster does not inflate. I've read about folks replacing C5 bladders with inflatable sleeves from certain blood pressure checkers - don't know if that would work for C4s though.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Guess it is time for me to make some replace seat bladders for all of us 95/96 sport seat owners. I just need to find a seat that I can take apart and work with without taking one out of one of my cars.

This should be easy to find......NOT.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Grrrrandpa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '94 Sport Seat Air Pump

Originally Posted by Red Dwarf
My 95 has centrifugal vanes...no diaphram as such.
My pump died yesterday. I couldn't hear it run at all when I took the seat cushion off and tried it. After finding one used one on eBay for $100, I decided to disassemble it to see if I could fix it. It took it out of the car and headed for my workbench.

Cute little pump ... uses the same concept as the Wankel engine and uses centrifugal vanes, just like you said. I tested it first on the bench, and the motor hummed slightly but did not rotate. When I couldn't hear it at all on the car, I had been discouraged, but to hear it now was very encouraging. I popped the four clips holding the front on. The pump is actually well built and easy to disassemble. Basically, remove three long screws and it completely comes apart. I then ran the motor with the pump off and it ran strongly. Good first step.

I checked every part of the pump ... no visible problems. I used a dry teflon lubricant to coat all the surfaces that moved and reassembled the pump on the motor housing. It works like a charm ... actually better than when I purchased my '94 convertible five years ago.

Last edited by Grrrrandpa; 07-19-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

So to answer the OP's original issue:

I have a 95 with the sport seats. I replaced the pump/motor which is located under the passenger seat years ago using vette2vette as my parts source however:

I've never seen a source for the air bladders themselves.

With the late model sports seats I believe that the seat leather comes glued onto the foam ...... so I am not sure how you could get to the air bladders themselves.

Perhaps Pete (member PLRX) could provide some help with this last issue. He's done some really great documentation to the fixes he's done to his C4s.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Grrrrandpa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bladders

[QUOTE=Mr. Peabody;1584448946
... using vette2vette as my parts source ...

With the late model sports seats I believe that the seat leather comes glued onto the foam ...... [U]so I am not sure how you could get to the air bladders themselves.
[/U]

I just checked ... vette2vwette says "discontinued" for the air pump. Drat ... I thought you had identified a source.

As far as getting to the air bladders, I haven't done it. But if I am to believe the Service Manual, the cover/foam fits over the bladders, so just remove the covers and you have access to the bladders. I scanned and uploaded the diagram from the manual ... you can see it here:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps5bc1ba78.jpg
Old 07-19-2013, 03:53 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

you can get to the bladders and replace them, they are behind the leather/foam and held to the seat frame with wire rods..

I have 2 spares and have seen them on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-95-96-C4-Corvette-lumbar-sport-seat-bladder-/400436409169?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACorvette&hash=item5d3bdeb351&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-95-96-C4-Corvette-lumbar-sport-seat-bladder-with-bracket-/400436409246?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACorvette&hash=item5d3bdeb39e&vxp=mtr
Old 03-24-2014, 09:37 PM
needhamboy
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Drivers side bolster deflates

Originally Posted by RUU
I'm in the same boat - driver's side bolster does not inflate. I've read about folks replacing C5 bladders with inflatable sleeves from certain blood pressure checkers - don't know if that would work for C4s though.
RUU did you fix this? I have the same problem. Can't find out how to get to side bolster bladder? Can you help?

Get notified of new replies

To 95-96 Sport Seat Air Bladder Repair

Quick Reply: 95-96 Sport Seat Air Bladder Repair