Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Fan issues...Ready to pull hair!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 04:51 PM
79SharkMan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan issues...Ready to pull hair!

Ok....Even though it's in the 60's here in KY, I noticed on a brief drive today that my car's temp is still wanting to spike quickly anytime I stop for more than a minute or two....It appears the main fan isn't coming on at all, which is similar to what happened on my old '79, which was easily fixed by changing out the fan motor. However, things seem to be much more complicated on my '95....It seems like there are about 20 different things that could be causing this, and all the articles I've been reading have me completely lost as to where to start diagnosing this problem....Thermostat out? Simple relay out? Fan motor out? Where should I start...And even when I know where to start, I'm not tech-savvy enough to do the operations. I saw someone mention the "paperclip" diagnostic method....What is that? The Hayes manual even suggests that since the '95 & '96 utilize three different cooling fan relays, and because the equipment necessary to diagnose this complex circuitry isn't normally available with most home mechanics, I should just take it to a professional. I'm just afraid of getting ripped off by someone who doesn't have a clue what they're really doing. So, any tips, suggestions, prayers, etc....? Maybe someone with experience in/around Louisville could help me w/diagnosis? Thanks!
Old 09-22-2011, 05:09 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Sometimes too much research can be poisonous.

What do you consider spike temp? (LT's run much hotter than your old C3 and is very comfortable at that high temp).

Start the car, let it idle and watch it run up to 235- fan goes on and shuts off at 228. Turn on the AC, fan should stay running longer.

Paper clip method?- read the sticky up top 'Ultimate DYI'- plenty of info there.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:51 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

start by jumping your fan and make sure the issue isnt with it, then check the ground, then start chasing wires, find out where the current stops
Old 09-22-2011, 06:55 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want a temp solution, wire a switch to ground the fan relay and just turn it on when temp gets up. I did that and I don't ever let it get over 210 unless I forget and the car does it for me.

Im with Alaska just jump it to make sure it works, then trace wires. It sucks but there isn't another way.

Get notified of new replies

To Fan issues...Ready to pull hair!

Quick Reply: Fan issues...Ready to pull hair!