Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

ASR- You can't live with it, and you can't...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default ASR- You can't live with it, and you can't...

Or can't you?
Unless I'm driving to the old folks home, I always turn off my ASR. It is annoying and never seems to behave itself with any subtlety. How many others would like to permanently disable it?
is it worth removing entirely? That would make spark plug changes easier. And let's face it, the prices on C4s are low enough that nobody is going to mark you down for not having this original (PITA) piece of equipment when you go to sell.

Am I in the minority here? Is it really an unsung hero, and I'm crazy?

Thanks!
Paul
Old 08-17-2011, 11:10 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I leave it off @ the autocross.

When it kicks in, it's rather sudden.

I leave it on for street driving though.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:52 PM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Since the system saved my life I have become okay with it. When you get your hp up a bit it comes in extremely handy.

I know what rear-drive muscle cars do but the vette is light and the rear end wants to switch on me if I let it get away unless the crazy switch has not been depressed.

ABS brakes and traction control got their start with the Corvette design. C4s were first. Sure turn it off and get it on, but when you are all busted up don't complain.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:36 AM
DRidgeway
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's saved my **** before when I first got my car.
When roads are bad I think its benefit outweigh the annoyance.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine gets turned off as soon as I set off. It's become habit like turning on the lights. It just confuses the issue when it comes up and can kick in when certainly not needed, like pulling out of a driveway where one rear wheel drops off a slightly higher surface onto the roadway whilst turning. I have used it in rain just as a back up
Don't recommend this for everyone though..
Old 08-18-2011, 01:14 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Street drive only.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:03 AM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

im removing mine. clear up some space under the hood. iv looked into and you need to use a cable off a 4th gen lt1 that didnt come with asr. then just remove the bulbs from the dash to get rid of the lights
Old 08-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Leec4ce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Don't use it. My a$$ save my a$$
Old 08-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Evil_1979
Racer

I actually turned mine off last night for the first time and had a fun slip slide corner (on purpose). I have had my car 3 weeks- I turned it off on the test drive, only to see if the light came on... Only had the pedal kick back on me once when taking a corner (it had rained in the morning)- my Eagle F1 tires grip pretty well so you really have to try to break them loose. :-)

Can't wait to go to an autocross with the new toy- but first I am doing brakes (considering C5 brakes up front if I can find a good deal on some used calipers/rotors).

Cheers!
~K
Old 08-18-2011, 10:01 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

They improved it in 1995. I really liked it on my '95, but perhaps it is too intrusive on the earlier iterations. What's the big deal?- there's a button to turn it off.

I don't have it on my 91 ZR-1, but it's not too much of a problem when you have new 315's and a smooth powerband that isn't too peaky. my LT1 car broke the tires loose more easily, but maybe that was after i wore the soft rubber off of the tires.

I'd really like to have it for the rain though.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:43 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

When the ASR on my 92 tried to kill me for the second time its on the list to be removed this winter. If it reacted less violently it would be ok, but to be in a right hand turn and all of a sudden have the throttle go to idle and you are now pointing left towards that nice solid wall - no thank you.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Robert Thomas
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

How about some details to go along with the 'saved my life' and 'tried to kill me" statements? That'd be interesting to read. I got used to it because the streets and roads where I live are out of the horse-drawn wagon days. I've seen many people with limited slip diffs loop their cars doing u-turns on city streets. I can understand the disatisfaction. The first time the pedal snacked my foot, I thought the engine had grenaded.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:11 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Robert Thomas
How about some details to go along with the 'saved my life' and 'tried to kill me" statements? That'd be interesting to read. I got used to it because the streets and roads where I live are out of the horse-drawn wagon days. I've seen many people with limited slip diffs loop their cars doing u-turns on city streets. I can understand the disatisfaction. The first time the pedal snacked my foot, I thought the engine had grenaded.
When it was street driven it still tried to wreck the car a couple of times.

Right hand turn - hit the real rough pavement. The ASR decided it was slipping and took all the throttle away, meanwhile a line of traffic barreling at 50 mph was comming right at the driver door.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:48 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I turn mine off. Had it on for the longest time (over a year and a half) and when I turned it off, I noticed an immediate change in 'pedal feel'. Suddenly the gas pedal felt more 'connected' and normal even! and it didn't have that vague feeling that it has, when the ASR is monitoring it 100% of the time
Old 08-18-2011, 05:24 PM
ßill
Racer

ASR is really great... for those that need to improve their driving skills before attempting a high performance car.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:07 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Turning off the ASR is the first thing I do after firing up the car. If you can drive, you can save yourself MUCH better without it. I've almost gotten into more issues with it on vs with it off...I just power through any slide action. I thank my autocrossing for now thoroughly hating the ASR and it's uselessness.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:09 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by littlesk8cracker
you need to use a cable off a 4th gen lt1 that didnt come with asr.
That be a 4th Gen Camaro I take it?

Get notified of new replies

To ASR- You can't live with it, and you can't...

Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default ASR pros and cons

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies! I sense that at the time of its introduction, it was a neat invention, and owners could brag that it was exclusive to their car. The On-Off nature of the 'assistance' is what's bugging me.

I appreciate the success stories of it being useful. I don't mean to suggest that it's for bad drivers. It's just so sudden and unforgiving.

I'm pretty mindful of the wet or dry conditions on the roads that might get me in trouble, so I have a hard time seeing the value. If I can remove it and put the parts in a box for the next owner (for the price of a camaro throttle cable) I think that will be a winter project!
I also like the idea of uncluttering the engine compartment.

Again, Thanks. If anyone else wants to weigh in, I think it's an interesting topic, and comments will benefit us all.

Paul
Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,769 Likes on 946 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

My '90 didnt come with ASR and I like it that way. My dad's '92 is annoying to drive because the ASR comes on so quickly and for stupid reasons. I forget to turn it off and it frustrates me. I would remove it if it were my car, but it sounds like you already came to that conclusion.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:15 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The ASR on my 95 sometimes cut in on a hard right turn when the inside tire started to grind on the pavement, but the funny thing was that if you just keep fighting the pedal kickback, you can still get some more throttle opening to partially bypass the disruption of torque.

at least it wouldn't leave you hanging in the street with no power to get going- maybe the early ones didn't let you do this? I always thought it was comparable to contemporary car minus the slower actuation and physical pedal movement.

Quick Reply: ASR- You can't live with it, and you can't...