C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dashboard Direction stays lit

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:37 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Dashboard Direction stays lit

Well I got my Vette back from the paint shop 2 weeks ago and didn't get a chance to drive it until Saturday. Anyway, I went to the local cruise in and left when it was dark. I put the lights on and the right side direction stayed lit even though the directional wasn't on. I put the flasher on and it worked like it was supposed to but it seemed like the right side marker was out. So I take it home, replaced the bulb with a new one and the same thing. I go to check the parking light and as I am turning it, the side marker, which was dark, came on and the lit indicator on the dash went out. I put the parking light back and the sidemarker went out again and the directional indicator lit up, again.

I'm thinking of a broken wire somewhere within that circuit. Anyone know what color wire that could be if that's the case? Also, would a bad socket also cause this?

The painter removed the nose to paint it so all the electrical would have been disconnected. Perhaps something got pinched or broken.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:30 PM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't make it harder than it needs to be by taking a car apart chasing wires. 99.9% of the time the issue you describe is 1, a bad bulb (filament touching another filament), or 2, a bad ground, usually right there at the socket. Both of those conditions causes feedback through the circuit to the dash light. I may be wrong, but probably not. jmo
Old 08-15-2011, 05:54 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by newbecorvetteguy
Don't make it harder than it needs to be by taking a car apart chasing wires. 99.9% of the time the issue you describe is 1, a bad bulb (filament touching another filament), or 2, a bad ground, usually right there at the socket. Both of those conditions causes feedback through the circuit to the dash light. I may be wrong, but probably not. jmo
I was thinking bad ground because the ground wire looked a bit corroded. I didn't really get a chance to play with it but I will swap out the bulb, clean the ground and take it from there.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

A bad flasher can cause this symptom as well
Old 08-16-2011, 11:48 AM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
A bad flasher can cause this symptom as well
At first I thought flasher, but when I started moving wires and such, it started working again so I ruled it out.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the grounds on the cluster. If it has a flaky ground, it will try to find a ground anywhere it can....ie....directional signal bulb. Common symptom.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Sparkytfl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's A LOT of light bulbs involved. I stared at the diagram for several minutes a few months ago trying to figure it out when I had this problem. It does feed back power to your indicator if certain ones burn out. The solution in my case was finding a bulb that needed to be replaced that wasnt one you'd typically think would affect it. Just check EVERY bulb up front, both filaments in the dual bulbs.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 AM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sparkytfl
There's A LOT of light bulbs involved. I stared at the diagram for several minutes a few months ago trying to figure it out when I had this problem. It does feed back power to your indicator if certain ones burn out. The solution in my case was finding a bulb that needed to be replaced that wasnt one you'd typically think would affect it. Just check EVERY bulb up front, both filaments in the dual bulbs.
I tried just that last night. All the bulbs seemed fine. I wound up cleaning the contacts in the sockets and the ground wire to the chassis. Then I replaced the 2 bulbs up front, the parking light and the side marker with new ones. Everything seems to be fine now. I hope it stays that way, I hate diagnosing electrical problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Dashboard Direction stays lit

Quick Reply: Dashboard Direction stays lit