C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Electronic Dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Sadblack87
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electronic Dash

Will an 87 run without the electronic speedometer and tach panel installed?
Also my gas gauge is not reading correctly. Will the RANGE reading (calculations) be correct? In other words does the Range reading depend on the gas gauge for its calculations?
Thanks
Old 07-20-2011, 05:26 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I tried it with my 85 and it kept stalling out and when I asked here about it folks said that something to do with the speed sensor if I remember correctly. As far as the fuel gauge and the range reading I do not think it matters unless the tank sensor is bad. The digidash is notorious for failure. My LCD's have missing segments but it doesnt affect anything except what it looks like.

While I dont think it addresses your specific problem Batee.com is kinda the source for digital dash problems. If you want to repair it or have repair work done at a local electric/electronics shop, Batee has wiring diagrams and schematics as well.

Good Luck!!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:36 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

I drove my 87 with no dash and had no problems. Must be some differences between the years.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Sadblack87
Intermediate

Thanks for the help. I need to remove mine for repair and don't want to be without a car.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Moon86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I drove my 85 all last year with the lcd dash removed. If it stalls you might try disconnecting the battery, then turn the key on to discharge everything. Reconnect the battery and see if it runs better. With an automatic you lose the torque converter lockup so the tranny will run a little hotter. I used the mph feature on my gps to tell how fast I was going and the gps trip odometer to tell when to put gas in it. Worked for me. I got a rebuilt lcd cluster off *bay and now the dash is back to normal.

Get notified of new replies

To Electronic Dash

Quick Reply: Electronic Dash