C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Another Classic Example of Crappy GM Design

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Gear Jammer
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Another Classic Example of Crappy GM Design

So I need to replace my automatic transmission shifter on my 91. Turns out, I have to remove the entire console (and most of the interior) to get the shifter out! Why? Because the console frame blocks the right-front shifter bolt (theres four bolts securing the shifter to the trans tunnel)...

Questions:
1. Why four bolts? Theres just the one bolt in there now (the one I cant remove) and the shifter still doesnt move around much

2. If fours bolts are really required, then, why not move the RF bolt inwards a 1/2 inch to clear the console frame?? Or move it aft ?

3. Or, incorporate a cutout in the console frame to allow access to the RF bolt.

Its crap like this that makes me sick of this car and GM in general. I know theres 1000s of other similar situations. Do these designers ever take maintenance and assembly into consideration? What are these morons thinking, if they're even thinking at all?

the offending bolt; my bane:
[IMG][IMG]

Last edited by Gear Jammer; 07-05-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: crapola
Old 07-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Jammer
...its crap like this that makes me sick of this car and GM in general.
- this is IMHO, but i think you should sell the car if you are that dissatisfied!

...what are these morons thinking, if they're even thinking at all?
- having spent 30 years as a design engineer, i've heard that comment more than once - mostly from people that couldn't design their way out of a paper bag. i'm sure that's not the case here though...
Old 07-05-2011, 11:02 AM
joe paco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe C
- this is IMHO, but i think you should sell the car if you are that dissatisfied!

- having spent 30 years as a design engineer, i've heard that comment more than once - mostly from people that couldn't design their way out of a paper bag. i'm sure that's not the case here though...
give him a break, joe c. as a designer, I am sure you found many many designs over the years that needed improving. the Corvette is riddled with them, and I still like it.

for starters, three points -bolts- define a plane. to say that the one bolt even has to be there, on an automatic, is a stretch, you agree? ever wonder why they didn't radius the edges of the L98 btm runners so they can be more easily removed?

at GE, after some philosophy changes at higher level, we'd send the new design out to the factory to get opinions, rather than the "throw it over the wall" attitude that prevailed unquestioned for 25 years. we got a lot of complaining from the assembly workers, also got a LOT of new ides that we had not thought of. Especially from repairmen and service techs.

your point is valid, but his is, too.

joe
Old 07-05-2011, 11:47 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

why dont you take a dremel and trim the plastic
Old 07-05-2011, 12:23 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
why dont you take a dremel and trim the plastic
Nice!
Old 07-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

Many times I have cursed the GM engineers, and thought how I would like to see them drawn and quartered - hung then shot and then burned at the stake. The part #1 (heater core) proves my point.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:27 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I thought this thread title was about the Opti Spark. This is my opinion; besides the opti, everything else is gravy.

Compare the removal of the Opti and anything else. Heck I think it is easier to remove the differential/pumpkin.

I can remove that console in 10 minutes.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by joe paco
give him a break, joe c.
i thought i was giving him a break - i just said that if he was dissatisfied, he should sell the car, and i never used the term "MORON."

go back, read my reply...

i have found many areas on the c4 where i felt i could have, and in some instances', did improve the design, through restoration or maintenance. as someone said, get out the dremel tool. i just thought the "moron" phrase was out of line. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:34 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Blame it on Henry.

History Channel: Modern Factories: Camaro, Porsche, Corvette, Challenger..etc.

They all build them the same way and have since Henry developed the assembly line.

The chassis with motor/trans/rear end is built seperatly and the body is set/bolted on top, the dash board is built (complete) seperatly and then shoved/bolted against the firewall. If you ever watch the show, you'll know why we can't get to half the bolts.

Henry should have his *** kicked!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:42 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by PLRX
I thought this thread title was about the Opti Spark. This is my opinion; besides the opti, everything else is gravy.

Compare the removal of the Opti and anything else. Heck I think it is easier to remove the differential/pumpkin.

I can remove that console in 10 minutes.
There's nothing to it.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:02 PM
joe paco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe C
i thought i was giving him a break - i just said that if he was dissatisfied, he should sell the car, and i never used the term "MORON."

go back, read my reply...

i have found many areas on the c4 where i felt i could have, and in some instances', did improve the design, through restoration or maintenance. as someone said, get out the dremel tool. i just thought the "moron" phrase was out of line. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
see? I knew you would improve it. same here.

dremel tool? that be for sissies, joe c. Me? I prefer the trusty wood chisel and hammer!
it's hidden anyway. he did say "morons," which is not as inflammatory as MORON!.

anyway, too late to complain now. if everyone who ever cussed the designers sold the car, we'd have no forum.

I have a LONG list, but would only sell to get another.

saludos, joe

Last edited by joe paco; 07-05-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: list
Old 07-05-2011, 02:10 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I think the general assumption on that one is that the car would be scrapped long before the automatic shift handle needed replacing.

I don't think any of the car manufacturers are particularly concerned that the people who buy their cars new are going to have maintenance problems 20 years down the line.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:13 PM
BigDR
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ditto

Originally Posted by dclafleur
I think the general assumption on that one is that the car would be scrapped long before the automatic shift handle needed replacing.

I don't think any of the car manufacturers are particularly concerned that the people who buy their cars new are going to have maintenance problems 20 years down the line.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Repzard
Safety Car

Originally Posted by joe paco
I am sure you found many many designs over the years that needed improving. the Corvette is riddled with them

joe
Yes , The damn engineer that decided it was a good idea to put a water pump over a main unit that controls spark

The Optispark is my biggest rant on GM designers..Stuuuuupid !!!!

I think they did that to put $$$$$ in their pockets at GM
Old 07-05-2011, 02:37 PM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

1968 VW Bus has a rubber linkage bushing in the center of the bus. You can't get to the 3 bolts to remove unless you

A.) Pull the motor/transaxle
B.) cut a hole in the floor

I opted for B
Old 07-05-2011, 03:30 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Engineers suck......uh, present members of this forum excluded. It's a shame that GM tries to cut every corner on their flagship. Why, oh why, does the outer window seal on the door dry up and crack on my 1995 Vette. My 1989 Silverado has perfect weatherstrip. It bends and doesn't break and it's 6 years older.

Just one example, whew, let's not go there.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:38 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by 1963SS
Engineers suck
Like lawyers, doctors, etc there are pros and mediocre. Remember one thing, an A in school or college doesnt make you a great engineer.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Classic Example of Crappy GM Design

Old 07-05-2011, 05:21 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I think when the enginers build cars they dont expect things like heater cores or other hard to locate items to wear out for five years or more. Most owners by that time have sold the car. The warranty is usually expired so GM is off the hook. The second or third slob will have to deal with the high repair bills or the cut up hands. By that time the first owner is in a new Corvette or other GM product. Its worked to GM for decades. I know because I am that third or fourth slob.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by socalman
Blame it on Henry.

History Channel: Modern Factories: Camaro, Porsche, Corvette, Challenger..etc.

They all build them the same way and have since Henry developed the assembly line.

The chassis with motor/trans/rear end is built seperatly and the body is set/bolted on top, the dash board is built (complete) seperatly and then shoved/bolted against the firewall. If you ever watch the show, you'll know why we can't get to half the bolts.

Henry should have his *** kicked!
Unfortunately, Henry Ford DID NOT invent the assembly line. He was merely the first car maunfacturer to adapt it to the making of automobiles. The assembly line had been around for about 50 years before Ford started using it.
I bought my first Model T in 1962 and have had quite a few of them since. I have also learned a bit of Ford history in that time.
Now, socalman, wash your mouth out with soap for defaming the great HENRY FORD. Or we can kick yours!!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:01 PM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
Unfortunately, Henry Ford DID NOT invent the assembly line. He was merely the first car maunfacturer to adapt it to the making of automobiles. The assembly line had been around for about 50 years before Ford started using it.
I bought my first Model T in 1962 and have had quite a few of them since. I have also learned a bit of Ford history in that time.
Now, socalman, wash your mouth out with soap for defaming the great HENRY FORD. Or we can kick yours!!!!
Symantics. He used the assembly line for cars..same thing. Was a joke anyway, but what is true is the way they build cars is not necessarily designed to let you get to it later.

Want to talk about bad engineers, lawyers and doctors? Next time you are sitting at your Doctors office waiting room staring at his Diploma, ask him to see his report card. 80% will get you a 'B'. I wonder if I have the problem in the 20% he didn't understand.........

Quick Reply: Another Classic Example of Crappy GM Design