Old new tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Old new tires

This actually pertains to a '66 Chevy truck but the topic in general has been kicked around here before. And the answer will apply to Vette tires as well.

What exactly deteriorates or dies as tires age? I have two brand-new tires for the truck, never mounted, been in the garage out of sunlight ever since I bought them - about 1990! I've seen several posts saying don't trust old tires etc. Does the fact they've been kept in the dark help any, or have they become unsafe just by existing so long? I have a tire durometer from when my son used to race, would that tell me anything?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
This actually pertains to a '66 Chevy truck but the topic in general has been kicked around here before. And the answer will apply to Vette tires as well.

What exactly deteriorates or dies as tires age? I have two brand-new tires for the truck, never mounted, been in the garage out of sunlight ever since I bought them - about 1990! I've seen several posts saying don't trust old tires etc. Does the fact they've been kept in the dark help any, or have they become unsafe just by existing so long? I have a tire durometer from when my son used to race, would that tell me anything?
Don....a number of environmental factors come into play, even when kept out of sunlight. The chemicals that give rubber its elasticity eventually "evaporate" (for lack of a better term) and the rubber begins to get hard. Once that happens it begins to crack....often internally....and weaken.

Keeping them out of sunlight certainly helps....but it won't stop the inevitable. I keep them covered on my fifth wheel when it's not in use....but even then, at about 7 years they're starting to show signs of age. And once they harden up, braking and steering are compromised and the risk of a blowout exponentiates.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:00 AM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Way to go Friz....got me thinking this morn.

Exponentiates
Third-person singular simple present indicative form of exponentiate
I had to look that up. Where did you Texicans learn such big words and what the heck is a third person singular simple present indicative?? Wow, I'm impressed.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Thanks Friz - I kind of figured it was a chemical issue. They LOOK great but it's not worth risking my neck on. Good thing I've had them so long, I've forgotten how much they cost so I don't know how much I'm throwing away! Suppose I should saw them so some other person does not pick them up and use them - with my luck it would be me they'd hit when one blew!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1963SS
Way to go Friz....got me thinking this morn.

Exponentiates

I had to look that up. Where did you Texicans learn such big words and what the heck is a third person singular simple present indicative?? Wow, I'm impressed.
And you thought all they learned at Doggie School was "Heel!" and "Sit!"
Old 07-10-2011, 11:11 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
Don....a number of environmental factors come into play, even when kept out of sunlight. The chemicals that give rubber its elasticity eventually "evaporate" (for lack of a better term) and the rubber begins to get hard. Once that happens it begins to crack....often internally....and weaken.

Keeping them out of sunlight certainly helps....but it won't stop the inevitable. I keep them covered on my fifth wheel when it's not in use....but even then, at about 7 years they're starting to show signs of age. And once they harden up, braking and steering are compromised and the risk of a blowout exponentiates.
That's why tires are dated. Keeping them out of the elements certainly helps, but eventually the chemicals in the rubber compound will break down.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Suppose I should saw them so some other person does not pick them up and use them - with my luck it would be me they'd hit when one blew!
Or sue you for the damages.

Get notified of new replies

To Old new tires

Quick Reply: Old new tires