C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

$1000 Bucks to Replace Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:44 PM
smdorsey
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
$600 max should be it. Your avatar looks like an early C4, L98 flavored and you and your car will love the FIC injectors! By the way, your C4 isn't a Burgundy 'Vert, is it?
Coupe. See Sig.

Peace.
Stephen
Old 06-21-2011, 12:44 PM
hgh pwr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't be afraid of using the accel injecters,I have had them on my car for 9 yrs with no problems at all.

When they first came out there was a problem with them and it was addressed by accel,but still to this day people who have never used them still bad mouth them.

Just send your set out to be rebuilt.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:03 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have ACCEL injectors in my 96 Exploder 5.0, they work well. When I did the injector replacement on my 85, my local Corvette mechanic quoted me $400 for the labor, I would supply the injectors (got mine from Jon at FIC), so around $600 which includes parts is more in line.

I did the job myself. It took around 7 hours, but I took my own sweet time and labeled parts I removed, etc. It cost me around $80 in new tools to do the job as well, but I don't mind getting new tools. It was a great experience and I learned a lot, especially from the masters here at the Forum.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Jimbo 89
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnTVette
I got a set of bosch III's from him, couldn't ask for a more helpful guy.
Me too....the rebuilts. Had them in almost 3 years now with absolutely NO issues. Jon is great....even helped me on a Sunday...
(I'm not supposed to tell anyone that) shhhhh
Old 06-22-2011, 12:05 AM
svxfiles
4th Gear

Originally Posted by smdorsey
Dang,
Just got a quote for injectors and fpr diaphram replacement. Accel #24 injectors. Should I have asked for a kiss too? Cus I like to be kissed while I'm getting f@$#d? Tell me I'm wrong.

Peace.
Stephen
???
I just installed a set of 40# Accell injectors (<$400.00 from Summit) on a 96 LT1.
Started at 7:00was running at 7:31.
At $45.00 an hour that was $23.25 ....
I'm just sayin..
Old 06-22-2011, 01:03 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by svxfiles
???
I just installed a set of 40# Accell injectors (<$400.00 from Summit) on a 96 LT1.
Started at 7:00was running at 7:31.
At $45.00 an hour that was $23.25 ....
I'm just sayin..
There is ALOT more labor in replacing injectors on an L98.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:16 AM
svxfiles
4th Gear

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
Ok.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Dang,
Just got a quote for injectors and fpr diaphram replacement. Accel #24 injectors. Should I have asked for a kiss too? Cus I like to be kissed while I'm getting f@$#d? Tell me I'm wrong.

Peace.
Stephen
That sounds to me like a "I don't want the job, but if you insist" price!

Not doubting you, but what led you to believe you needed injectors? Just curious if you determined the injectors were bad, or did the rip off...er...mechanic do the diagnosis???

P.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:35 AM
drmrman
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome info!
I would love to be able to wrench on my cars but my skills are limited because I use a wheelchair. Incomplete quadriplegia. Had a spinal cord injury 28 years ago playing high school hockey.
Anyway, not afraid to pay for good work, just thought 1k was a bit stiff. Also, he basically said he would not put a set of rebuilts in. Went on and on about rebuilt parts.

Peace.
Stephen
Sounds like hes a good mechanic. If hes doesnt want to put crap parts in, then he doesnt want to do the job twice. If he doesnt want to do the job twice, he wants to do the best job possible so you dont come back with issues. Sounds like a straight shooter to me!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

If it with the injectors fpr diaphram gaskets and o-rings unfortunately it is not off base do the numbers. It was quoted here it takes about 6 hours to do the job so there goes the first 540 bucks at the usual 90 an hour. The injectors are around 350 from online places that leaves 110 left for shipping sales tax gaskets and o-rings. If you were to do it yourself and change all the gaskets and o-rings I would find it hard to get it done for less than 250 at the end of the day and that is not for accel injectors that cost a good deal more. There is nothing wrong with accel injectors they are made by Bosch if the ones I am thinking of. The garage has to warentee the job hence the dislike for rebuilt anything that is not very easy to change. His job is to make a profit for his business and busy work changing failed rebuilt parts is not very profitable.

The real rape job was 505 to change an oxygen sensor on a Toyota RAV my neighbor has. The sensor 180 for the wide band Toyota only sensor but 320 in labor??? It took me 15 minutes from pull if the garage open the hood to back out done. It is right in front of you when you open the hood..

Dave

Last edited by ddahlgren; 06-22-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Jimbo 89
Burning Brakes

not too bad if you don't remove the runners.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Still, 1000 is crazy book time job or not.

It probably wouldnt take a noob that long to do it.

Before I got my teeth wet with EFI I had taken the 89 in to the dealer to ask about injectors. They would only put Multecs in and wanted over a grand for that. THink thats about when I found CF.
Got a bad batch of the early Accels, took them back out stuck some Bosch IIs in and the car ran the way it was supposed to.

Breaking down the TPI certainly isnt fun but you get the hang of it after awhile.

Sucks being in that position of stuck in a chair and being at everyones mercy/not being taken advantage of, can only imagine.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:21 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Still, 1000 is crazy book time job or not.

It probably wouldnt take a noob that long to do it.

Before I got my teeth wet with EFI I had taken the 89 in to the dealer to ask about injectors. They would only put Multecs in and wanted over a grand for that. THink thats about when I found CF.
Got a bad batch of the early Accels, took them back out stuck some Bosch IIs in and the car ran the way it was supposed to.

Breaking down the TPI certainly isnt fun but you get the hang of it after awhile.

Sucks being in that position of stuck in a chair and being at everyones mercy/not being taken advantage of, can only imagine.
Do you need to use the clips on the Bosch II injectors? I know you don't need them on the Bosch III.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Nope
Old 06-24-2011, 05:31 PM
azrocketman
Racer

Originally Posted by QZRBLU
Stephen,
I would get some Bosch III's from Jon at FIC, a new FPR diaphragm from RockAuto.com total price $275 and invite some Vette buddies over for a BBQ and free beer AFTER the job is done.
I just completed this same job on my '90 L98. 4 hours is about right for labor. If he gets $80 per hour, it's still under $600.

I'd do it for ya if you were in Tucson. My garage has A/C and a heat pump for winter. )

Mick
I'll keep you in mind when I tackle that job on my '86.

Steve
Old 06-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Tony A.
Racer

Old 06-25-2011, 12:27 AM
QZRBLU
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by azrocketman
I'll keep you in mind when I tackle that job on my '86.

Steve
Steve,
If you are still a CrossFire, should be a 30 minute job.

Mick

nevermind, you are a tpi '86 brainfart

Last edited by QZRBLU; 07-11-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To $1000 Bucks to Replace Injectors?

Old 07-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Rightfricken on! Always cool stuff like this going on here. Proud to be part of this C4 family.

Peace.
Stephen
Ya Stephen is correct , $1000 is quit a bit a a$$ chapping if you ask me. Stevo is a great guy and not shy about helping out us corvette folks here in the Las Vegas area, I would hate to see him get screwed.

He has a great looking 86 for sure, its his baby Spud.hehe

If he goes the FI route I will make sure he gets hooked up right for sure

your Bud Pizzano

Last edited by Pizzano; 07-10-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 AM
smdorsey
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizzano
Ya Stephen is correct , $1000 is quit a bit a a$$ chapping if you ask me. Stevo is a great guy and not shy about helping out us corvette folks here in the Las Vegas area, I would hate to see him get screwed.

He has a great looking 86 for sure, its his baby Spud.hehe

If he goes the FI route I will make sure he gets hooked up right for sure

your Bud Pizzano

Thanks Kev!
It's been great getting to know you and your generosity is so appreciated. I hope can return the favors bud.

Peace.
Stephen
Old 07-11-2011, 05:13 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Anyway, not afraid to pay for good work, just thought 1k was a bit stiff. Also, he basically said he would not put a set of rebuilts in. Went on and on about rebuilt parts.
I had a Chevy mechanic tell me about rebuilt stuff when he recommended AGAINST using a $100 (NAPA) rebuilt brake master cylinder 10-yrs ago vs buying a brand new GM unit for $600. I used the rebuilt and it's still working. Fooey on you dumb mechanic.

But that's not totally relevant. Injectors aren't rebuilt to the same extent as most other parts. Their coils can't be replaced. So, rebuilt injectors wouldn't be the best for someone who is forced to pay for their labor. Not to fret though, because FIC sells new as well as rebuilt injectors. Try to find a shop that will use YOUR parts. (They will say no guarantee, but accept that).

OEM injectors (from GM) are $800ish). Accel, Bosch, and SIP injectors can be found for as little as $100 set. Get the price on the injectors down and the total cost shouldn't be too bad.

L98's are a PITA though (to get at injectors that is). Plenum and fuel rails have to come out for this process. I'd expect a good shop to knock this out for $300-$400 labor with the cost of injectors on top of that.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: $1000 Bucks to Replace Injectors?