C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Getting cheaper....and cheaper.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:43 PM
kyyote
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robsball
To me a vette is a beautiful timeless vehicle. It doesn't matter what generation or year. I paid 5400 for a 89 convertible with 160k miles. True its high mileage but the engine is strong and other than the TPS issue the other day she runs like a scalded cat. There are other things that need replacing and are mainly cosmetic. She could use a paint job, but it still looks pretty damn good. When I'm not driving her she stays in the garage, top down ready for me. And I keep on top of engine fluid levels. BTW I haven't seen a leak yet.

The joy of my vette is that she is a little project car that I can enjoy driving while I'm fixing.

USAA is my insurance company and they offer the most amazing auto loans. When I called them wanting to buy my vette for 5400, first they told me based on VIN number and mileage their books showed the car was worth 9k. They gave me a loan for the entire amount at 5.8% for 60 months. Insurance went up 33$ a month, so I'm driving my American Dream for around 130/month.
Happiness, and having a dream come true for $130 a month. People spend millions chasing those elusive feelings. The way the Corvette makes you feel is priceless. Just as long as you feel that way, you got the deal of a lifetime.

Btw, I feel the same way about mine. There may have been better deals out there, but the deals I got, for two of the very few times in my life, out of dozens of cars I've bought over the years, on my Corvettes, and the way they make me feel is worth every penny and more. Even when I have to put some money into them, I do it without it making me mad. Sure, I'd rather I didn't have to, but I would have rather not have to had spent money on my kids at the doctors, too. It just comes with the joy they bring.

Last edited by kyyote; 06-17-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

I wouldn't sell either of my C4s for what they are worth in todays market.
I continually have a blast with them, that's what I bought them for
Old 06-18-2011, 08:08 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

This has nothing to do with vettes, but all sport cars. The economy sucks and gas prices are rather high. Sports cars are considered by most to be a discretionary purchase and when the economy is in the dumps discretionary purchases don't happen, supply increases, prices drop.

All sports cars are dropping in price right now.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:26 AM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Odd coincidence, but just a short time before seeing this thread I peeked at the Sacramento CL to see what prices were doing and was (pleasantly) surprised at how HIGH they were.

Of course, they are just asking prices and it's springtime in Norcal, but....
Old 06-18-2011, 03:49 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Some guys on this forum do nothing but cry all the time about how low prices are on their C4's. I say sell the dam things and go buy something else if they are so upset. A Vette will always be a Vette no matter how high or low the prices go. It really doesn't matter about values that others put on them.

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 06-20-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:36 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Crying on the forum what?? If your wife finds out how much you have in the Corvette or Corvettes.. Then cry, we will understand . Hide the bills.. What set of tires >> What ?? Get your money back ...What ??? This will be the last time I spent money on this vette ,right after I put in the new cooling Sys.. Last time... Got to love it...
Old 06-18-2011, 04:41 PM
thecatmac
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redghost
This is not good. I've been thinking about putting my 85 up for sale.

Don't do it.........it's so fun to drive my 85 down a street and people just stop in their tracks to look at it. I had 2 drivers this week give me the thumbs up to me when I drove up next to them. Vette's Rock!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:03 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

C4s are not cheap in my area. My neighbor was looking at a couple of them recently, a `96 w/50k & the dealer wanted $15.5- would only come down $1k. Also a `94 vert w/55k- they wanted $13.5 firm. He also looked atv a C5-`98 vert w 60+k- price 19k firm. He passed on all of them. Oh yeah, they were all from different sellers. Must be because its summer time.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:22 PM
robsball
Advanced

Originally Posted by radar502
Crying on the forum what?? If your wife finds out how much you have in the Corvette or Corvettes.. Then cry, we will understand . Hide the bills.. What set of tires >> What ?? Get your money back ...What ??? This will be the last time I spent money on this vette ,right after I put in the new cooling Sys.. Last time... Got to love it...
Thank God I don't have a wife, or a husband for that matter to beyotch at me on how I spend MY MONEY or be jealous because I love my vette. But I do have a sweet FORD Mustang Honey who loves to work on engines. And Yes Sir, I'm right there with him in the garage, stepping and fetching, wiping his brow, getting his drink, keeping him amused with my antics and best of all he is a great teacher and I learn so much.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Pat Durbin
Advanced

Originally Posted by purvissp
I don't really keep an eye on the prices. I have my C4 and really like it, no plans to sell or trade it.

I didn't buy it as an investment I bought it to drive and have fun.

Going to drive it till the wheels fall off and don't care about the prices.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:31 PM
r15
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every big ticket item or toy is cheaper these days. Now if you have the $$ for the gas to drive it around and your home budget isn't blown by higher grocery prices, then buy away.

If I had the extra income I'd love to add a c4 vert or C5 to my garage, but the cost to expand my single stall wouldn't be worth it. Better off to buy a bigger house for cheap.

Quick Reply: Getting cheaper....and cheaper.