Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Common misconceptions on the NCM Insurance Agency

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by purvissp
I have insurance with American Modern Insurance Group. I have a '95 LT1 Coupe with the 6000 mile plan. I do like to drive the Vette, but doubt that I will actually drive it 6000 miles in a single year.

I do drive it to events and cruises, but I also at times just like to get it out and drive for breakfast, go for ice cream on a nice evening or even take my wife out to eat in the evening. I am retired and if it is a nice day I just like to get the car out and take it for a short ride. When I drive the car I always try to find a parking place away from other parked cars.

If by chance I have an accident or get hit in a parking lot while just out for a casual ride is the insurance company going to give me a hard time when if I try to file a claim?
I can not legally answer your question since you are not insured with the NCM, but I tell my insureds that there will be questions. You will want to ask your insurance agent for their clarification.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 AM
purvissp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can not answer for my current insurer, how would your insurance coverage cover me in the situation I described in my previous post?

Also, isn't American Modern Insurance Group the underwriter for the insurance you sell through the museum? I believe that is the same insurance I have I just went directly to American Modern and did not go through the museum.

At the time I was not aware that the museum was selling insurance.

Last edited by purvissp; 06-28-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would tell my insureds that there would be questions as to the usage. If you are our and about on a pleasure cruise and you quickly are in and out, that is fine. If your sole purpose is to leave your house and go to the store, mall, golf course (ie: errands) you would not qualify for our coverage.

Thanks!

Adam
Old 06-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Adam,I have a question for you.I will be shopping of a new insurance company come the first of the year and wouldn't mind supporting the NCM.Does the NCM have an insurance company that has no ties to A.M.I.G,simple yes or no answer please.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Jeff, no, we only deal with AMIG at this time.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:22 PM
purvissp
Advanced

I just spoke to my agent at American Modern Insurance.

I ask about coverage and she told me that the car was not supposed to be my primary means of transportation and used for all of my driving.

We have 2 other vehicles that are our primary means of transportation. The Corvette is just a "fun" vehicle that we drive for enjoyment.

I did explain to her that I was retired and enjoyed frequently getting the car out to take a ride and may stop for lunch. She told me that was not a problem and I did not have to be in and out "quickly".

I also told her there were times on nice evenings that my wife and I would take the car out for a ride and stop at a nice restaurant for dinner. She also said that was not a problem and I would be covered.

The main thing she stated was the car should not be used as primary transportation for driving to work and other daily driving and errand running.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

What interested until I read
The vehicle must be stored in a locked garage facility when not in use.
Bummer, mine is kept outside under a nice cover...but how do you even verify that?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by purvissp
I just spoke to my agent at American Modern Insurance.

I ask about coverage and she told me that the car was not supposed to be my primary means of transportation and used for all of my driving.

We have 2 other vehicles that are our primary means of transportation. The Corvette is just a "fun" vehicle that we drive for enjoyment.

I did explain to her that I was retired and enjoyed frequently getting the car out to take a ride and may stop for lunch. She told me that was not a problem and I did not have to be in and out "quickly".

I also told her there were times on nice evenings that my wife and I would take the car out for a ride and stop at a nice restaurant for dinner. She also said that was not a problem and I would be covered.

The main thing she stated was the car should not be used as primary transportation for driving to work and other daily driving and errand running.

Originally Posted by bac22
What interested until I read .
Bummer, mine is kept outside under a nice cover...but how do you even verify that?
I hate to say it this way, but have a loss at your house and you may find out the hard way. If you had a sturdy carport with a couple sides that is an option too. BUT not one of those cheap $595 type aluminum structures.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,525 Likes on 868 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by Adam Boca
I know we can beat Hagerty on both your cars. Give me a call to make sure they are being honest.

Thanks!!

Adam
Hi, Adam,

I know you can beat Hagerty's price, but Hagerty's Insurance will cover me under normal conditions not having to do with car shows. I only put a couple of thousand miles on my car a year. and do not want to worry about casual use.

In your E-Mail, you explained that if I went down to the beach, which is ten minutes away, and decided on the way to get my hair cut, my car would probably not be covered while I was getting it cut. By extension, if I am on my way home from a car show or a Bomber Run, and I take to long for dinner, will my car be covered?

These are the things that make a difference in price
Old 06-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Vette Jockey
Hi, Adam,

I know you can beat Hagerty's price, but Hagerty's Insurance will cover me under normal conditions not having to do with car shows. I only put a couple of thousand miles on my car a year. and do not want to worry about casual use.

In your E-Mail, you explained that if I went down to the beach, which is ten minutes away, and decided on the way to get my hair cut, my car would probably not be covered while I was getting it cut. By extension, if I am on my way home from a car show or a Bomber Run, and I take to long for dinner, will my car be covered?

These are the things that make a difference in price
You might want to check your policy.

Adam
Old 06-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Spiller
Advanced

I’m a bit confused on your website. You guys offer insurance on only the collision and theft portion or do you also offer basic bodily injury/property liability? So would I still need to keep my basic insurance with Geico? I have a work min-van that I DD.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Jamesnns
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im on my second year with NCM. I'm a little worried about the part of the policy stating pleasure only, amount of time spent at an unexpected stop ( Ice cream, dinner...) and to then have it questioned, not only the question, but the weird way someone, somewhere gets to decide if its covered or not, as the policy is vague in this one area.

So a problem at Dairy Queen during a pleasure ride is covered at 10 minutes? 15? 20? 30?

Who knows, its up for grabs it seems. Does the amount ($) of damage dictate the amount of time alloted for any particular stop? A minor scrape at 10 minutes wuold be covered, but a total loss at 5 would not?

See my point?
Old 07-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Jamesnns
Im on my second year with NCM. I'm a little worried about the part of the policy stating pleasure only, amount of time spent at an unexpected stop ( Ice cream, dinner...) and to then have it questioned, not only the question, but the weird way someone, somewhere gets to decide if its covered or not, as the policy is vague in this one area.

So a problem at Dairy Queen during a pleasure ride is covered at 10 minutes? 15? 20? 30?

Who knows, its up for grabs it seems. Does the amount ($) of damage dictate the amount of time alloted for any particular stop? A minor scrape at 10 minutes wuold be covered, but a total loss at 5 would not?

See my point?
This has always been abit sketchy.Cant ever seem to get a straight answer UNTIL there is an incident then you get it in writing and its not what you want to hear.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Jamesnns
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
This has always been abit sketchy.Cant ever seem to get a straight answer UNTIL there is an incident then you get it in writing and its not what you want to hear.
Perpaxly....(lol)

I do like the agreed total loss payout part..thats nice.

Im 99.99999% pleasure...but...

But gain, my main point...stuff happens. I have made unexpected stops during a pleasure ride. Last Friday I'm out for my typical 30 min drive and remember Gander Mountain has clays on sale. I make a quick stop as it's right there, I park WAY in the back, FAR away from anything and anybody and run in real quick. Now the problem starts. The place has 2 employees, not to be found, the one guy I do find can't figure out the sale price on what I want. 20 minutes tick by and I'm REALLY starting to worry if stopping in the vette was a good idea.
Im so worried, I leave the store without my clays because the savings on the clays doesnt outweigh the potiential risk to my now 'uncovered" vette.

So, end result is, outside of stopping for gas, I aint stopping anywhere out of fear to my risk.

Oh well, it is what is is. Its my choice to have this coverage I guess. I drovre less than 1000 miles last year ( or close) and paying State Farm rates, without an agreeded total payout is too expensive.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Shock96
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, any driving in my new to me Vette is pleasure.

All my insurance is through Farmers and my Porsche 911 (1977) was insured through them with a 5k mile per year, no restriction use for about $230 a year full coverage with allowances for the mods.

I just drove my 92 back from SoCal (I will post pics and info shortly so back off! )
and have yet to get my insurance setup on it (it is covered as per my policy for full coverage for the first 14 days). I expect the cost to be similar.

The only thing not covered is HP drivers events.

This coverage sounds great for the 50-100k Corvettes that are show cars etc. Not for cars like mine that get driven for fun and occasionally to work if I want.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

See my point?
Out to dinner and you are covered.....Don;t be concerned....If we talked and your have a policy with us, you are fine.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Perpaxly....(lol)

I do like the agreed total loss payout part..thats nice.

Im 99.99999% pleasure...but...

But gain, my main point...stuff happens. I have made unexpected stops during a pleasure ride. Last Friday I'm out for my typical 30 min drive and remember Gander Mountain has clays on sale. I make a quick stop as it's right there, I park WAY in the back, FAR away from anything and anybody and run in real quick. Now the problem starts. The place has 2 employees, not to be found, the one guy I do find can't figure out the sale price on what I want. 20 minutes tick by and I'm REALLY starting to worry if stopping in the vette was a good idea.
Im so worried, I leave the store without my clays because the savings on the clays doesnt outweigh the potiential risk to my now 'uncovered" vette.

So, end result is, outside of stopping for gas, I aint stopping anywhere out of fear to my risk.

Oh well, it is what is is. Its my choice to have this coverage I guess. I drovre less than 1000 miles last year ( or close) and paying State Farm rates, without an agreeded total payout is too expensive.
Trust me when I say I have drilled my underwriter about various scenerious. This is fine too....Remember, if your sole purpoose of the trip to go to Gander Mountain, then you would not fit within the guidelines of our policy. If you are out for a car show, pleasure cruise, and you stop by Gander Mountain, then you are fine.

Originally Posted by Shock96
Personally, any driving in my new to me Vette is pleasure.

All my insurance is through Farmers and my Porsche 911 (1977) was insured through them with a 5k mile per year, no restriction use for about $230 a year full coverage with allowances for the mods.

I just drove my 92 back from SoCal (I will post pics and info shortly so back off! )
and have yet to get my insurance setup on it (it is covered as per my policy for full coverage for the first 14 days). I expect the cost to be similar.

The only thing not covered is HP drivers events.

This coverage sounds great for the 50-100k Corvettes that are show cars etc. Not for cars like mine that get driven for fun and occasionally to work if I want.
Shock,

What happens if you have a total loss? What is your payout? Do you have an Agreed Value, Stated Value or Actual Cash Value? I know the answer to this, and I insure MANY Farmers agents for their collector cars. Again, this policy does not fit everyone, and we understand this.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Common misconceptions on the NCM Insurance Agency

Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Spiller
I’m a bit confused on your website. You guys offer insurance on only the collision and theft portion or do you also offer basic bodily injury/property liability? So would I still need to keep my basic insurance with Geico? I have a work min-van that I DD.
YEs, it is full coverage insurance...

Let me know where on the site it is confusing, and I will attempt to fix it.

BTW: I am not licensed in NY State. NY will not allow us to sell insurance since we are a non-profit, BUT my underwriter is able to write your insurance for you.

Thanks!!
Old 07-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Shock96
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Adam, on the Porsche, I believe it was stated value at 14k. This included all mods.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,525 Likes on 868 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by Adam Boca
Trust me when I say I have drilled my underwriter about various scenerious. This is fine too....Remember, if your sole purpoose of the trip to go to Gander Mountain, then you would not fit within the guidelines of our policy. If you are out for a car show, pleasure cruise, and you stop by Gander Mountain, then you are fine.
Adam, what is the difference of stopping at Gander Mountain for 20 minutes and stopping to get your haircut when you are on a pleasure drive? You told me either in conversation or E-Mail that I would not be covered. When I suggested you check with your underwriters, you said you had and I would not be covered! There seem to be inconsistencies. Otherwise, I would have gone with your policy.

Quick Reply: Common misconceptions on the NCM Insurance Agency