Old 05-18-2011, 01:32 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default 88 Dealer Installed IMSA GTO Spoiler?

In doing some research on 1988 Corvettes I came across this: Corvette's IMSA body templates had to approximately match the production car, in order to get the proper aerodynamics on the racer body. Chevrolet was required to sell an aero kit with similar forms to its retail customers. It did an over-the-counter at Chevy parts departments.
A Google search turned up this one:

I know that Richard Newton has one. Here is his car:

Anyone else have one? The pic in Michael Antonicks C4 specs book shows a white one with the rear spoiler and a lower body skirt kit too.
I was unable to find a Google pic of the full kit though.
I'll bet the genuine GM kit is quite rare.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:25 AM
95fxdwg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear spoiler

What ? How can this be ? Chevrolet actually HAS produced a FACTORY SPOILER for the c-4 , I must have one ! This will anger the GODS ! I will hang it on the wall as a trophy to remind myself that even as an old man I learn something new everyday !
Old 05-18-2011, 09:09 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

And we're off...

Originally Posted by 95fxdwg
What ? How can this be ? Chevrolet actually HAS produced a FACTORY SPOILER for the c-4 , I must have one ! This will anger the GODS ! I will hang it on the wall as a trophy to remind myself that even as an old man I learn something new everyday !
It did an over-the-counter at Chevy parts departments.
I can buy all kinds of crap over the counter at Chevy dealerships. An aftermarket part bought (or installed) at a dealership is completely different than a factory installed part. No RPO = not a factory option. It is a GTO (an aftermarket company) spoiler, plain and simple. The fact that it was sold by dealerships doesn't change that. I never thought this was a difficult concept to understand.

It is no different than the Callaway Speedsters. I have heard plenty of stories of those being sold at dealerships when new. The fact that they were sold new at Chevrolet dealerships doesn't make it a factory option. On the other hand, the B2K Callaways were indeed a factory option, hence the RPO. See how this works?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:26 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
I can buy all kinds of crap over the counter at Chevy dealerships. An aftermarket part bought (or installed) at a dealership is completely different than a factory installed part. No RPO = not a factory option. It is a GTO (an aftermarket company) spoiler, plain and simple. The fact that it was sold by dealerships doesn't change that. I never thought this was a difficult concept to understand.
Exactly!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

And we're off...

See how this works?

Well said Bryan, but I'll bet he doesn't
Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

And we're off...

It is no different than the Callaway Speedsters. I have heard plenty of stories of those being sold at dealerships when new. The fact that they were sold new at Chevrolet dealerships doesn't make it a factory option. On the other hand, the B2K Callaways were indeed a factory option, hence the RPO. See how this works?
+2
Old 05-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

And we're off...

But if someone wants to hang an aftermarket spoiler offered by Chevrolet on his wall as a trophy, who am I to discourage him. You could also have purchased a t-shirt, key chain and cup holder, I guess these are all factory options as well.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking

But if someone wants to hang an aftermarket spoiler offered by Chevrolet on his wall as a trophy, who am I to discourage him. You could also have purchased a t-shirt, key chain and cup holder, I guess these are all factory options as well.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 644 Likes on 421 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 95fxdwg
Chevrolet did in fact offer a dealer installed GTO full body kit but as stated no spoiler was ever offered from the factory.So the dealer installed kit was as close as it got.Now,From what I remember this kit was made specifically for G.M. and not something that was cobbled together,its been 20+ years so Im not too clear on that anymore,it actually looked alright.The kit consisted of a front chin spoiler,4 slot fender panels,rocker panels and I think a lower panel on the rear bumper.I had the spoiler for years and tried selling it for almost the same amount of time.I just sold it maybe 2 months ago for next to nothing.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-18-2011, 11:17 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking
You could also have purchased a t-shirt, key chain and cup holder, I guess these are all factory options as well.
I think that was part of the "D-bag accessory package" RPO: DB1 wasn't it?

If you moved up to the DB2 package, you also got a hat and a sweet pleather jacket with a genuine trademarked C4 logo screen printed on the back so you could look most excellent at car shows.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

I think that was part of the "D-bag accessory package" RPO: DB1 wasn't it?

If you moved up to the DB2 package, you also got a hat and a sweet pleather jacket with a genuine trademarked C4 logo screen printed on the back so you could look most excellent at car shows.

Don't forget DB3 which included the C4 umbrella and throw blanket for the times your C4 broke down on those stormy, cold and rainy nights.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:55 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

And we're off...

I am not sure I follow your logic. RPO B2K Callaway Corvettes were in-fact sold new through Chevrolet dealers. It WAS a factory option.

Callaway Speedsters, like the AeroBody option, were options to the RPO B2K package. In fact, all Callaway Series I Speedsters in 1991 wear RPO B2K in their glovebox on their SPI label.

Of course, this is all different than the GTO Body kit available through GM Parts being discussed originally.

I hope this helps
Old 05-18-2011, 01:07 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

This gun be gewd!!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,772 Likes on 947 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Aaron Quine (Rasrboy here on the forum) has the full kit on his '87. his car is probably the nicest cleanest C4 I've ever seen.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:37 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Wow! Thanks for the pics - that is a fine looking C4!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:55 PM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

And we're off...

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
I am not sure I follow your logic. RPO B2K Callaway Corvettes were in-fact sold new through Chevrolet dealers. It WAS a factory option.

Callaway Speedsters, like the AeroBody option, were options to the RPO B2K package. In fact, all Callaway Series I Speedsters in 1991 wear RPO B2K in their glovebox on their SPI label.

Of course, this is all different than the GTO Body kit available through GM Parts being discussed originally.

I hope this helps

Mmmmm foot....tastes good.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:05 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the kit on my Vette,check my avatar.And yes it was a factory option .With the C6 rims people can't tell what year my Vette is.For all you Kit haters out there this is the first Vette Or any car for that matter I have had that I get alot of complements on the looks.The guy I bought the car from sent me a copy of the original article on why the kit was made and why it had to be made available over the counter or installed by chevy dealers in 1988.The article is from the 1988 road and track magazine.I'ts titled All the kings horses and all the kings men

Get notified of new replies

To 88 Dealer Installed IMSA GTO Spoiler?

Old 05-18-2011, 05:21 PM
95fxdwg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory spoiler

CAREFUL YOU WILL ANGER THE GODS , rear spoiler GTO part # 144332 page # 94 thru Corvette central is a reproduction of the FACTORY AVAILABLE SPOILER IN 1988
Old 05-18-2011, 05:24 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by steven mack
I have the kit on my Vette,check my avatar.And yes it was a factory option .With the C6 rims people can't tell what year my Vette is.For all you Kit haters out there this is the first Vette Or any car for that matter I have had that I get alot of complements on the looks.The guy I bought the car from sent me a copy of the original article on why the kit was made and why it had to be made available over the counter or installed by chevy dealers in 1988.The article is from the 1988 road and track magazine.I'ts titled All the kings horses and all the kings men
Could you do me a favor? Look up the RPO code for that in your options and tell me what it is.
Thanks
Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by steven mack
1988 road and track magazine.I'ts titled All the kings horses and all the kings men
This the link?
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...the-king-s-men

Quick Reply: 88 Dealer Installed IMSA GTO Spoiler?