Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 08:13 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default opening hood when on a SINGLE jack

Hey gang, quick question for you.

As some of you may know I bought my Vette from my dad 3 years ago in which he drove her in the rain. I just bought a jack and I will in the next few days pull the wheels off and degrease, clean and polish the wheels, brakes, suspension etc in preperation for an upcoming all GM show. I was planning on doing one front wheel at a time and having that front on one jack stand. Is it wise to open the hood so I can have complete access to the front suspension or do I need the whole front end lifted and on jacks to open the hood? Any other advice will be appreciated.

I used the search function and was able to figure out where the jacking points are with a store bought jack instead of using the POS jack that came with the Vette.

I thank all of you in advance.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:28 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

open hood then lift, lower and then close.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:47 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the first things my mechanic mentioned was that the doors, Hood, etc. should be open prior to lifting to avoid damage to the finish. I mentioned this when I got my new wheels/tires & they said that was their standard procedure when working on vettes.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:03 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by 3D87C4
One of the first things my mechanic mentioned was that the doors, Hood, etc. should be open prior to lifting to avoid damage to the finish. I mentioned this when I got my new wheels/tires & they said that was their standard procedure when working on vettes.
These myths just won't die.

Absolutely no need at all to open the doors and hood before you lift the car.
Just an old wives tale.

But, if your going to open the hood to detail the suspension I would open it before lifting.
If you have no plans to open the hood while it's lifted, then just leave it closed.

Last edited by RollaMo-LT4; 05-07-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4

Just an old wives tale.

But, if your going to open the hood to detail the suspension I would open it before lifting.
If you have no plans to open the hood while it's lifted, then just leave it closed.
These cars are VERY stiff.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4

Just an old wives tale.

Some myths have a half-life comparable to atomic waste....

These cars are extremely rigid. Wait until the first time you have it on 4 stands and realize it's only sitting on 3 of them. The first time you see daylight between the frame and a jackstand can be a jolting experience.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:16 AM
C41987
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
Some myths have a half-life comparable to atomic waste....

These cars are extremely rigid. Wait until the first time you have it on 4 stands and realize it's only sitting on 3 of them. The first time you see daylight between the frame and a jackstand can be a jolting experience.
I never believed this till my last oil change. I scooted from one side to the other and knocked one of the stands completely out from under the car. (Back tires still on ground). Needless to say, I flew out from under that car. This was the same time that I learned the car sits about 1 1/2" higher after jacking it up until it settles.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by C41987
I never believed this till my last oil change. I scooted from one side to the other and knocked one of the stands completely out from under the car. (Back tires still on ground). Needless to say, I flew out from under that car. This was the same time that I learned the car sits about 1 1/2" higher after jacking it up until it settles.
I had something similar happen, though it didn't come completely out. The realization that you're sitting under an odd shaped triangle of support of roughly 3500 lbs is....let's say I damn near needed a change of underwear.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:59 AM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Thank you gentleman. What is funny is a couple of weeks ago I took the Vette to Les Schwaub for a nail in the front tire and they did open the doors and rear hatch. As you said some myths just don't die.

Get notified of new replies

To opening hood when on a SINGLE jack

Quick Reply: opening hood when on a SINGLE jack