Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

17yr old looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

OK, I'm going to add my $0.02
Have in the bank ready to spend on repairs AT least the amount you pay for the car.
Also have 12 months of the insurance cost in the bank.
Are you handy with tools? If not take an auto shop class at the local community college.

Now you are ready to buy ANY first car. I've found that girls tend to be more practical with first or second cars (mine were). I'm not going to discourage you because I'm pretty sure that anyone who sinks $5 - $10K into a car along with the money in the bank and ability to do their own repairs tends to be more mature than the person the just wants a cool car.

When you get the car join the local Corvette Club, attend lots of autocrosses, driving schools, teen driver clinics, and yes even high performance driving events. That way YOU will have the knowledge and be safer then 90% of the drivers out there.
Purchase a Helms Factory Service manual for whatever year you buy. It will cost about $100 - the first repair you do yourself will SAVE you the cost of the manual.

(I'm partial to a 92, but I owned an 88 at one time)
Old 05-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I don't know you from Adam but I'll say that I got my first car - a Vette - at age 18 and in less than a year sold it to get a faster Vette. Hopefully you are not as stupid as I was back then so I'll skip the sermon. Also back then a certain activity which forum rules prohibit discussing (Str**t rac**g) was more common than it is today so let's hope you know enough to avoid that scene.

So strictly talking the car - if you really truly want a Vette, ignore all the reasons why you should not get one. They are all valid but probably if your heart is set on a Vette you're going to wind up with one whether it makes sense or not. Not all of us will admit it, but we understand that.

One thing to consider is whether you will need this car for a DD - daily driver. If it's essential that you get to school and/or a job, do you have a back-up plan (no matter WHAT car you get). Don't get fired because the VATS decided to act up and keep the car from starting when you have to get to work.

Also read all you can on the back pages here. Read the tech section, read the back pages, follow the trouble shooting as various members have problems. You will learn a lot from that.

As many have said, unless your Dad is Bill Gates you'll want to learn to do your own work. It is SO much cheaper than paying a shop. There may be a few things you'll have to farm out but once you get the car, spend the money for a red-covered edition of the FSM (Service Manual) and it will walk you through almost everything. Each time you do something you will learn your car a bit better.

Do you know any other Vette owners in your area? If you can make friends with a C-4 owner they may be willing to show you around the car and point out things to look for when shopping for yours. It's a long shot but if you're REAL lucky they might let you drive with them in the passenger seat. Most of us would not but some would - depending on how you present yourself and how long they have known you.

FWIW, my first Vette I owned for just under a year, and every week I was putting money into it. A year after I sold it I saw the next owner, and in that year he had replaced the generator. That's all. So you DO gradually improve the reliability of the car with your efforts.

It's supposed to be a fun thing. Fill in your profile so we know where you are, keep us posted on your search, and keep making responsible choices in your life. Good luck - despite the negatives they ARE a fun car! (At your age, that is ROOT beer in those glasses! )

Last edited by Railroadman; 05-02-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:08 PM
delphipgmr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one other thing to add from a practical teenager point.

a vette is a 2 seater.. that will severely limit the number of "Friends" you can take with you.

I know my teenagers take their friends with them all the time, ANY two seater is not practical.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:01 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

im not trying to sneak it around her and get bit in the butt for it later
Sounds like you two are close.

Buy the absolute nicest and well mainained one you can, spend some time driving it not just around the block.
You dont want to buy a fixer just because its cheap you WILL regret it.
SO many here fall for the cheap bit and before the day is out the car is on a flatbed and sitting for months.

They do take some messing with like any older car but if it was taken care of right it can be a reiable fun car that gets decent mpg.

My first car was a 67 rs Camaro, spent some money fixing it but could care less. If youre happy with the car you wont mind spending if you have to. Tires can be had for $550 or so+-
Everything costs money might as well be happy with what you gotta hop in.

Buy something used you dont like and youll hate spending 10 bux on it.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 PM
84drb
Instructor

Originally Posted by TeeVette850
How much was insurance per month for your 84' vette?
Since 16 the car has been in my dads name, dads police, dad as primary driver and I was paying right around $800 a year which is not bad....now...my name me as the driver still under his police was $1,600 a year. My own policy though was crazy some were around $2,300 a year, best price I could find. But do remember insurance will vary largely by state and all also. I have no tickets or anything on my record and my dad has not in the last 20 years or so...and I still had those prices. So it will be a little pricey.
I will also say that getting the car was one of the best things ive ever done. I learned a lot from it, ive learned a lot about cars, budgeting, mechanic work, and most of all how to know your limit. How to respect the car, the road, and other on the road. I think it also shows maturity to own a corvette and not total it within the first 2 months at your age.

I love the car and will never sell it, It actually just got retired about a week ago due to the transmission finally kicking the bucket at 124k. Its going to start getting torn down and restored probably next summer. At his point ive had enough of putting money into the car and am ready to just get to know it ( not that I dont well enough already haha). The only reason I suggest against it is that it is a large financial drain...and if you dont pay for it all yourself I dont think you respect the car as much.
Let us know what you decide, if you get one remember first rule....we want pics the sec you get it! haha
Any more questions just ask!

-84drb
Old 05-02-2011, 11:37 PM
rickhigginshtbr
Instructor

Originally Posted by overdrawn
Have you driven a c4? It's like driving a 300 hp go cart, they are a blast but you got to respect the vette.
x2, even though I bought my '80 turbo t/a at 18... this thing has a ton more torque to it and is a different "beast" all together.

Have you driven one yet? Cause it's completely different from most cars in the price range. I bought mine when I was 24 and love it, but is very costly. I mean, I'm about to drop $180 on ball joints. And that's just the freakin uppers! And I'm installing them myself!

Luckily my boss when I was 17 taught me how to drive stick in his 89... so i kinda knew what i was getting into.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:42 PM
msledge50
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default What state you live in

Originally Posted by TeeVette850
I am a 17 year old looking to get a 91 or 92 corvette,(would rather get a 92 because of the lt-1 but wouldnt be upset if i settled with 91.) I wanna know what to expect in the future years of me having this car, besides insurance, i wanna know the little or big things that are bound to happen with corvettes and further prepare myself for the road ahead.
What state and city do you live in.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:53 PM
avigar
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 161 Posts

If your mind is set on a Corvette, I say go for it. Hopefully, you're financially secure enough to be able to afford any future repairs that may come your way. Unless you're mechanically inclined and have the proper tools, shop repairs on older Vettes can be very pricey. Just be sure to have it professionally inspected thoroughly before you buy. It's better to spend the few bucks up front for an inspection rather than getting stuck with a money pit or lemon later on. Good luck with your search. Let us know what you end up with.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:00 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Its a fun car and can get you into trouble real quickly, That is when you hammer the go pedal, are you experienced enough to keep it going in the right direction? Without hurting others or yourself? You like to text and drive? DO you think the Corvette is a chick magnet? Since you may not have the cash left over after paying the insurance, are you mechanically inclined? Can you read service manuals and wiring diagrams? Will you listen to the members of this forum and follow their advice and help?

If you answered no to any of these questions you might consider waiting a year before jumping into a C4.

Good Luck!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:08 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
I've worked on cars for almost 40 years, and this car still presents some significant challenges. Like other posters have said, it's an old car; things will wear out and break, and parts often cost $$$. To maintain a C4, you need some solid, hands-on auto repair experience, or you need a solid bank account to afford someone else to fix it. If you don't have either, wait until you do.

Originally Posted by bac22
Well...when I was 17 I would have killed to have a vette...
same here - when i was 17, i was lucky to have a couple bucks to put gas in the old man's 1960 oldsmobile. owning a corvette at 17 - that was beyond reality!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:36 AM
r15
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also would have loved to get a Vette at 17-18. I'm 28 and finally bought my first vette last year. As other said, no parts or repairs for this car are cheap. Even if you do all the work yourself, it will still cost you because you will have to wait days for parts because no one carries them in stock.

The other points about the stereo and only 2 seats are factors you really should consider. I know the idea of a vette in HS seems cool and think people will be impressed, but if it's sitting because you can't afford to fix it, or get a ticket and the insurance destroys any affordability, then it won't impress anyone. It will just become a burden.

If you added up all the costs of maintenance and insurance, the amount of money you would be spending is crazy. Also, I don't know which state you live in, but if this is your only vehicle and you have any possibility of inclement weather or snow, forget about this car. My tires have crap for traction under 50° until they are warmed up a bit.

If you really want a vette, it will happen. I was able to make it happen at 28, which is years ahead of others getting their first vette, and I feel privileged to own it. Patience is truly a virtue when dreaming of toys. That's what I consider a vette to be.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:40 AM
TeeVette850
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the good advice guys its really helpful. Also i am not just getting a corvette just because i want to go fast or its a chick magnet, my grandfather owned a Chevrolet dealership way back when and i grew up with my dad always showing me pictures of chevrolet's and i took a special intrest in the corvette and have been dreaming about the day i got mine for over 10 years now.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Well, you've read all the reasons...some valid, some not.... for NOT getting your C4, and it sounds like your head is still screwed on right and you want one. GOOD FOR YOU!!
There is an underlying sentiment here on CF that hasn't come out in this thread yet: the Corvette is just a Chevy in pretty clothes. As far as durability goes, this is true...even though the Vette is a little more complex than your average Chevy, it's still a very solidly-designed and -built car.
Yes, some components cost more than the same component for a Corsica, but they are also more robust and ...despite what you may have heard....do not wear out any more quickly than the Corsica's.
Normal-wear items (tires, brakes, clutch, etc.) will have a life that is commensurate with the manner in which the car is driven. In other words; it's up to you how fast they wear out. A well-cared for C4 can make a surprisingly good DD, as many on here can attest.

What should you expect with Corvette ownership? Membership in a great fraternity of owners. Pride in your car. Derision from other car owners. Sticker shock at the parts counter. Envy from other car owners. Lots of questions from your friends, good and bad. Frustration when something goes wrong. Great satisfaction when you fix it and the car is running well. But, mainly, that admission to the Vette family.
Get it and enjoy it.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

been dreaming about the day i get mine for over 10 years now.
As long as you understand there is good AND bad. They are fun, they look great, and you will forever be able to say your first car was a Corvette (or if you already have a car you can say you had a Vette at age 17 or 18). The bad part is they DO cost money and there WILL be evenings you are on your back under it, trying to get the trouble light aimed right, while 10,000 mosquitoes are feasting on you.

From this age looking back, one of my few regrets is that I sold that first Vette - it would be amazing to still have it today. There's an old country song which I doubt you ever heard, with the line "I'd rather be sorry for something I've done than for something that I didn't do". Take your time, find a good car and enjoy the ups and downs of ownership. If it works out, great. If you decide it's not worth the time and trouble you can always sell it, and you still will learn things from the whole deal.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Just find one you like and buy it.

You'll enjoy it, and it will teach you some life lessons.....good and bad.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 AM
gagnard1
Intermediate

Default Ya

Evey thing they are saying is true for a 16 thru 18 year old. I was 15 when i started working on my dads 91 and he gave it to me when i turned 16 Im 18 know and have had nothing but fun times in the car I work at a drag strip in Gilliam, Louisiana so it goes down the track every know and than . You just have to remeber to use premium gas cause im the third owner of this car ( my dad the secound ) and the first owner just let it sit in a garge and put regular gas in it so the carbon build up was bad and have had to rebuild the top half of the motor, injectors and all big cut in the bank account if ya know what I mean. But these cars r great just dont over ex cid your driving skills i have twice and Thank God nothing bad happened So just have fun with it Ps. I get 18 to 24 mpg so there not that bad on gas
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Rather see a kid get in the car hobby, so it can cost some
So can drugs hospital visits etc. Good clean hobby
Go for it.

This forum can keep the hobby affordable with used parts galore and every problem you could encounter theres a fix. Plus youll be online a lot and not running the streets, sounds Mom approved to me.

If you get one, highly recommed trying one autocross day asap.

Youll see these cars dont act like most in corners thats where the whole "respect a vette" thing comes from .

They stick like glue.

So well in fact that when they are at their limit they dont really talk to you, they just let go in a BIG way and at that point youre just along for the ride. Most times that car will correct and shoot you in a direction before you ever have a split second to say "OH, ####. "

Itlll make you think twice about getting stupid on public roads, twisties or nailing it midway through a corner. Finding out thehard way can be disasterous.

Get notified of new replies

To 17yr old looking for advice

Old 05-03-2011, 10:29 AM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is normally a topic upon which I would offer some sage () advice, but I'm pretty much baffled.

A 17-yr-old, presumably about to graduate from high school and therefore not a high wage earner -- if he has a job at all -- is considering buying an ageing Corvette.

Now a kid without much income usually gets his money from one source -- mom and/or dad. And any parent that would fork over enough dough to buy and support a high-maintenence, high-insurance, potentially money pit sports car for a young kid must be pretty well-heeled (I don't know about you guys, but at 17 I would have shooting at the moon to ask my dad for funds to buy ANY car).

So if the family is well-off enough to indulge their kid's expensive whims, why not spring for really nice car instead of one older than the kid himself? And if they are not well-off enough to be able to easily handle any financial contingency an old 'Vette brings with it, why is an old 'Vette even under consideration?

So I guess I'd sum it up like this: if the family is stinkin' rich a C4 is a very strange choice; if the family is not stinkin' rich the C4 is a very bad choice.

Last edited by anciano; 05-03-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 AM
avigar
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 161 Posts

Just curious on how you plan to fund and maintain a 20 year old car. Will it be strictly your financial responsibility or will the expenses be someone else's (i.e. parents)?

Last edited by avigar; 05-03-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
Just find one you like and buy it.

You'll enjoy it, and it will teach you some life lessons.....good and bad.

Originally Posted by anciano
So I guess I'd sum it up like this: if the family is stinkin' rich a C4 is a very strange choice; if the family is not stinkin' rich the C4 is a very bad choice.
Why do you say that? We're talking about a car that will cost less than $10k to buy and as far as cars in that price range go, is as reliable as most others out there. I drove a Camaro through high school (which would be roughly the equivalent in terms of price of a C4 today) and I drove a C4 through college with a budget that included eating Ramen noodles and donating plasma for beer money. It's a car that will eventually need repairs. So will pretty much anything else you buy at that same price.

People here hold the C4 on a pedestal which is to be expected but from a realistic point of view it is a car that is no faster than many sedans made today and costs less than most econo-boxes.

My advice to the OP:

If you can afford it... buy it, don't drive it like an idiot, and learn to work on it...

Quick Reply: 17yr old looking for advice