C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Best-Best-Best Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 06:22 PM
Derf
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Best-Best-Best Paint?

My 86 is showing signs of needing new paint. Acid rain-stone chips-17 years, etc.. I want to paint her "Torch Red". Opinions on paint manufactures??? :confused:
Old 04-17-2002, 06:27 PM
blk90rdstr
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Best-Best-Best Paint? (Derf)

As with most thing the expensive stuff is the best. I like Sikkens or House of Kolor. PPG is the most popular and really aint bad. I dont like R-M, Omni, or duplicolor. Remember prep is everything and take the car apart as much as possible!!! :yesnod: :cool:
Old 04-17-2002, 09:58 PM
BiZ
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Best-Best-Best Paint? (blk90rdstr)

You will probably get different opinions. Mine would be PPG. I used it on my 86 and it was very very nice. Laid down smooth. And the clearcoat is top notch.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:19 AM
joseph p
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Best-Best-Best Paint? (BiZ)

No question....Spies-Hecker
Old 04-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Best-Best-Best Paint? (joseph p)

Brand makes very little difference. Dupont, PPG, Sherwin Williams, they're all the same stuff. Just make sure you get a two stage urethane paint done by a quality body shop.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:37 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Default Re: Best-Best-Best Paint? (Jim85IROC)

Don't mean to disagree...but if you truly want to know the BEST paint to use....there IS a difference in brands!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2002, 03:32 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Why don't you enlighten me as to the differences? I haven't sprayed many different brands, but my father's used them all, and even mixed one brand's base with another's clear... always with identical results. There may be minor differences in chemical composition, but in terms of shine, flow and durability, one company's urethane isn't going to have noticable differences from another.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:10 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Default Re: Best-Best-Best Paint? (Jim85IROC)

Flow Characteristics, ability to perform in different temps., fill and shrinkage due to thinner release,.... properly prepared, you can get a good finish with all the paints you mentioned. But check back 5-10 years later and the Spies-Hecker (that incidentally flows excellently ) will be still looking great after the others have worn, shrunk and faded. Mixing Mfgs. is never a good idea...unless you don't plan on keeping the car long. I've seen many cars with "poping or crows feet" come into the shop due to poor reaction to incompatable components or catalysts. I merely suggested there IS a difference, since the title of this post suggested that he REALLY wanted to know what's best! Good Luck!! :cheers:
Old 04-18-2002, 04:39 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

I can't speak for 10 years, but after 5 years my rustbucket 86 firebird still shined like a brand new car and the paint had absolutely no damage other than what was inflicted from runaway hubcaps and the like (and I was amazed at how well the paint was able to withstand the impact). There's a poopiebox van in town that my father painted in 95. The guy never washed it once and it still shines like a new car. That van's never seen a garage either. I can think of a few other vehicles that my father painted at least 5 years ago that still shine like new cars. He's never had a customer come back with paint quality problems. And these are all daily driven cars that are exposed to northern new england weather. All painted with Sherwin Williams Urethane 2-stage paint. I should snap a picture of that van. It made a believer out of me.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:39 PM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I have to agree with joesph p on this one. I have sprayed many different paints...there is most definitely a difference. Back in the day Dupont Chroma Base was the good stuff....Not now, even most body shops have gotten away from them as a major paint supplier. Now its BASF or PPG. Unless you want a really top notch job then it's without a doubt Spies-Hecker.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:31 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Best-Best-Best Paint? (LPDesRoche)

i used the latest dupont high build glamour clear. its true thar 80% of a paint job is done before you spray it. to get it done right you are looking to spend 5 to 6 grand. my 86 yellow pace car was in the same boat as yours. it has a perfect 10-10 paint job on it. thats 10 feet or 10 mph it looked great. i ended up doing a frame off on the car. now it is better than the day it was built. i cant post pics but i will send you one. its pretty much just a show car now.

[Modified by stillthere, 10:48 PM 4/18/2002]
Old 04-18-2002, 06:55 PM
swantzilla
Intermediate

Interesting thread, sorry to mooch info but my '86 needs paint also. The clearcote is flaking off.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:08 PM
Mark Leiter
Instructor

Default Re: Best-Best-Best Paint? (swantzilla)

When I had my vette painted a month or so ago and we inguired about using "House of Colors" brand. The painter did not have a good opinion of them at all. Basicly saying that while they have some very cool colors. It is very difficult to get a good finish using them. Basicly made every effort to not use them and to go with Dupont or PPG instead.

I am in no way an expert, but that was my experience.

My car came out looking absolutely fantastic by the way!!!

[Modified by Mark Leiter, 5:09 PM 4/18/2002]
Old 04-19-2002, 01:35 AM
1996man
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Best-Best-Best Paint? (stillthere)

ummm no flames intended but how did you do a frame off on a 86 corvette? i thought the c4 ybody was a unibody?
Old 04-19-2002, 09:30 AM
Derf
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really appreciate the replys. Last night I was talking to the owner of a large GM dealership. He tells me his body shop has GMs latest paint process. They have a process that paints the masking tape on. Tells me the car will come back perfect or they do it until it does. Did not ask the price yet, have to take the car down for an estimate.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:38 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

dont tape the parts, remove them and paint behind them. tape jobs save money but the end result is not the same.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:43 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Best-Best-Best Paint? (1996man)

1996man. frame off meaning completely tearing the car down to the hull, includeing suspention parts, and building it back up. there is not realy a term to use for a total restoration on a c4 other than a frame off. that is what my invioce said.

Get notified of new replies

To Best-Best-Best Paint?

Old 04-20-2002, 03:36 AM
1996man
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Best-Best-Best Paint? (stillthere)

oh ok my bad
Old 04-20-2002, 03:46 AM
bluevette87
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Best-Best-Best Paint? (1996man)

the c4 has a full frame :cheers:
Old 04-20-2002, 08:17 PM
Ross96coupe
Advanced

I just had my 96 painted all over at my body shop. For a quality job, both bumpers have to be removed, both fenders, both doors completely torn down, gas lid door removed, rocker moldings, headlamp door covers, and side moldings. We used PPG paint with Glasurit clear and spent a week prepping all the parts. Prepping all the parts and fixing all the imperfections on the body was the harderst part! Just got done buffing the car this afternoon. :cheers:

Quick Reply: Best-Best-Best Paint?