C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

A/C Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:14 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default A/C Clutch

my A/C compressor is screaming. The clutch is not fully engaging. anyone just replace the clutch, or is it the whole compressor?

The schreching is quite dramatic.

96 LT1
Old 04-11-2011, 04:34 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

My experience is you're better changing out the compressor, not just the clutch. Often times it's actually cheaper.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:21 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by larryfs
my A/C compressor is screaming. The clutch is not fully engaging. anyone just replace the clutch, or is it the whole compressor?

The schreching is quite dramatic.

96 LT1
Stop using the clutch by unplugging the power for the A/C clutch or the bearings will leak out some nasty black stuff that makes a mess under the hood when the clutch bearings finally die.

Changing it is pretty easy I recall (took an hour or so), but make sure you have a decent pair of snap ring pliers.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:22 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bac22
Stop using the clutch by unplugging the power for the A/C clutch or the bearings will leak out some nasty black stuff that makes a mess under the hood when the clutch bearings finally die.
I shut off the A/C and the problem goes away; so why unplug it?

I need a compressor, and what else? I want to do this right, and once.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:26 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

You may or may not want to replace the reciever/drier to (recommended on compressor replacement, especially if you've had a catastrophic compressor failure). Since the problem is the clutch (if the compressor is not locking up, causing the clutch failure) you could get by with just changing the compressor. The reciever/drier is just an aluminum container, empty except for a bag or two of desicant. It's design causes particles to drop out of the main flow and collect at the bottom of the container. It is not a filter.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:27 AM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

did you fix the clutch or got new compressor ?

can any one give me the part numbers for the clutch and compressor ?

'94
Old 10-29-2011, 08:11 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.zip-corvette.com/GroupDet...ame=Compressor&
Old 10-29-2011, 12:36 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmmm, bought a new compressor from a Discounter once that did this out of the box. Start by checking the air gap between the face plate of the clutch and the pulley - engine off of course. It should be .020 inch. If it's right, then the assembly is probably shot, though you need to make sure the compressor can still compress. Take off the belt and turn the outer hub, which is bolted to the shaft by hand. It should turn over with some resistance, but you shouldn't have to go ape on it. If you need a wrench to move it - you need a new compressor and if you only replace the clutch assembly, it'll probably only be a second or two before it's doing the same thing.

If your gap was as big as the Grand Canyon and you can turn the shaft, you could try to reshim it. Under the face plate are some 1/4 inch metal washers and you can buy about a half dozen of them (a shim kit) from your Dealer or NAPA for 12 Bucks or so. Remove the Face Plate by holding it with a strap wrench or some oil filter pliers and then unbolt the 10 mm nut that's holding it onto the shaft. Pry it off with your hand underneath it to catch any of the factory shims. Use your kit to bring it back into spec (it'll probably take a few trys). Bolt it back up - 10 ft/lbs only on the bolt or you will crush the shims. Restart and the noise may be gone.

If you decide to go ahead and replace the Assembly, follow the same procedure to remove the Face Plate. The Pulley and Coil are held on with snap rings and accessible once the Face Plate is off. It's a bit dicey on your Year. The Main Hose assembly is in the way, but supposedly you can get some snap ring pliers between the hoses so you don't have to discharge and unbolt the manifold to have at it.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Clutch

Quick Reply: A/C Clutch