C4: "SYS" now appears on instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Stickrz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4: "SYS" now appears on instrument cluster

All,

A new display, "SYS", now appears on my instrument cluster (not on the idiot panel above the console).

It appears for about 5 seconds (flashes twice), then resumes whatever was previously on the display (Fuel or Gauges info, etc) for 15 seconds; the process then repeats.

I just had a reputable and trusted shop install a manual on/off switch for one of my radiator fans. My C4 runs very cool (170-173 highway, fans remain off), until town where the heat cycles from 170 (when fans turn off) to 181 (fans come on). The manual override for a single fan keeps city temps at a near constant 175, as intended.

The SYS status appears with the manual fan switch on or off. With the switch off, the computer turns on both fan's at 181, just like always. And when the temps drop to 170, the computer turns both fans off, just like always, unless I have the switch ON of course.

We studied the available wiring schematics closely to ensure there "should be" no inadvertent feedback to the computer, yada yada, before installing. Everything seems to be OK in spite of the SYS thing, but if anyone has any info on why it might appear and what the affects might be, we -- mechanic and I -- would appreciate your feedback. We're baffled.

Corvettes... gotta luv 'em.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:20 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

I had the same issue a while back and it turned out to be my battery. I would load test your battery and also check your alternator output, chance are you will find your problem lies within one of them.

Also make sure all of your battery connections are clean and making good contact.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:06 PM
TWISTERUP
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your '96 was designed to run both fans at the same time--both at either low or high speed. I don't see how you could wire in a toggle switch to one fan and still have the PCM comtrolling them and not set a light. I would think there would have to be some sort of feed back to the PCM when you manually turn on one fan--the PCM "knows" it has not requested the fans "on" and would set a light. JMO but you'd be much better off to have the PCM programmed for lower temp. fan operation or buy a hand held programmer and do it your self. Have you scanned it for any codes?

Last edited by TWISTERUP; 04-10-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

When my "sys" light started flashing, the battery was bad.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Stickrz
Intermediate

Default more instrument cluster SYS information

Originally Posted by TWISTERUP
Your '96 was designed to run both fans at the same time--both at either low or high speed. I don't see how you could wire in a toggle switch to one fan and still have the PCM comtrolling them and not set a light. I would think there would have to be some sort of feed back to the PCM when you manually turn on one fan--the PCM "knows" it has not requested the fans "on" and would set a light. JMO but you'd be much better off to have the PCM programmed for lower temp. fan operation or buy a hand held programmer and do it your self. Have you scanned it for any codes?
Twister,

I agree, mostly. My CCM is already reprogrammed for fans On at 181, OFF at 170. That's why we studied the schematics to see if if was feasible to insert a manual On/Off switch, and if so to install it. (Why?, well, 'cause, I like near steady-state temps, cooler is better. Call me a temperature snob if that helps.) Searched the 'net I found this gem at CorvetteCentral.com that notes, among other things, that changes to MAF and MAP sensors can be flagged as a SYS "diagnostic" by the CCM. MAP and MAF sensors work was also done by this shop while the car was being spring-tuned.

So, it appears there are other root causes. If that's found to be the case, yahoo. If not, then I will back out the manual On/Off fan switch and chalk it up to experience. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Link describing many, many causes for the SYS display:
http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/
Old 04-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Sandpiper59
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the codes the SYS is reporting? There are lots of articles here and through Google on how to pull codes, start there. Don't spend money until you see what it says is wrong!!
Old 04-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandpiper59
What are the codes the SYS is reporting? There are lots of articles here and through Google on how to pull codes, start there. Don't spend money until you see what it says is wrong!!
Troubleshoot, don't guess.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:33 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I have a battery in my Vette.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
Troubleshoot, don't guess.

Originally Posted by PLRX
I have a battery in my Vette.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:27 PM
84vette96
Racer

That sys is for ccm diagnostic not pcm heck it could be a blown fuse for the air bags. get the code and go from there. FSM tells you how to get codes using the buttons on the dash. you will also need a jump wire on the pdl. not hard to do at all.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:40 PM
drrobstar
Instructor

Just had this happen last Friday. Ran fine the whole time and I had the battery tested at Sears....it was fine. I reattached the tender when I got home and haven't had a problem since.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Y-ME
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also if one of the warning lights on the info center burns out it's set the sys message.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

How to tell spring has sprung...by the number of flashing "SYS" post.

How old is the battery? Also if the battery was low on power this might happen for awhile until the battery gets back to a normal charged state.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:31 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Last time mine went flashing it was a blown fuse. It's just alerting you that something is not right.

Get notified of new replies

To C4: "SYS" now appears on instrument cluster

Quick Reply: C4: "SYS" now appears on instrument cluster