C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1996 keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:28 PM
itsmeitsitsmichaelt
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 keyless entry

I have recently purchased a 1996 coupe. It came with two sets of keys but no keyless entry fob.
I purchased an entry pad (GM) and tried programming it according to the instructions. However, the new keyless remote won't program. I then read that your only allowed three units to be programmed. I'm assuming ever. The vehicle is 15 years old and i'm sure it has been programmed more than three times. Is there any way to reset the program without going to a dealer ?
Old 04-10-2011, 02:33 AM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that I know of, but did you measure the voltage on the new FOB from the dealer? It could be dead. Make sure its at a minimum of 3 volts.
What were your instructions for programming?
Old 04-10-2011, 05:51 AM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Yes... you can reset the system and program your FOB. You will have to look in the FSM for the procedure, but it can be done. I don't have mine handy right now or I'd scan it and post the procedure. I'll check later and see if I can locate the pages. I know I have seen that process posted here in the past.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:45 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

From my memory: the system will only store 3 key fobs. If you were to have four key fobs for some reason...when the 4th is programmed...the first one would be overwritten and no longer work.

Make sense???
Old 04-10-2011, 09:57 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

The three limit is at one time, you can add a new one at any time (if everything is working correctly). Something is wrong, in order to help you figure out what, please provide a detailed (very detailed) description of everything you did when you tried to program the new fob. Especially, after doing step 5 (turn key off but leave in ignition) did the light start blinking? Also, check fuses 26, 40 and 42.

Jst to be sure, the "keyless entry pad" you got was specifically for a 93-96 Vette right? PKE is not consistant with other GM model fobs.

The programming procedure is in the owners manual, (this is for a 95, but I think the procedure is the same) but here it is:

1. Move all transmitters out of range.
2. Turn the ignition key on.
3. push TRIP ODO on the Driver Information Center
twice.
4. Within five seconds, press and hold FUEL INFO
until the PASSIVE KEYLESS ENTRY light comes on.
5. Turn the ignition off,but leave the key in the
ignition. The PASSIVE KEYLESS ENTRY light
should begin to flash to show the system is in
programming mode.
6. Bring one transmitter into range. The light will stop
flashing and stay on to show that the code is stored.
7. Move the transmitter out of range. The light should
start flashing again.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 with each additional transmitter.
The programming mode will shut off if
You don’t program any transmitters for two minutes.
You take the key out of the ignition or turn the ignition on.
You have programmed three transmitters.

Last edited by markKlein; 04-10-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:01 PM
itsmeitsitsmichaelt
Cruising

Thanks for all the response.
I did check the voltage on the battery and it was 2.65.
I also followed the instructions that came with the fob, same as mark has discribed.
The light did flash and when i came into range with the fob the light stayed flashing.
However, after i was giving up on the whole thing i walked by the hood area and the doors locked. But, the doors will not unlock when i come back to the vehicle and neither of the buttons work on the doors or the hatch. Perhaps a new battery in the fob?
Old 04-10-2011, 02:45 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by itsmeitsitsmichaelt
I also followed the instructions that came with the fob, same as mark has discribed.
The light did flash and when i came into range with the fob the light stayed flashing.
However, after i was giving up on the whole thing i walked by the hood area and the doors locked. But, the doors will not unlock when i come back to the vehicle and neither of the buttons work on the doors or the hatch. Perhaps a new battery in the fob?
2.65 is too low, who knows how old that battery is. Get a new one and there is a good chance everything will work. Be sure and read the owners manual about how the PKE system works, half of peoples problems with PKE is not understanding how it is supposed to work. (The door button does not unlock the drivers door. Nor does it lock anything.)
Old 04-10-2011, 02:46 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by itsmeitsitsmichaelt
I think 2.65 is too low, who knows how old that battery is. Get a new one and there is a good chance everything will work. Be sure and read the owners manual about how the PKE system works, half of peoples problems with PKE is not understanding how it is supposed to work. (The door button does not unlock the drivers door, just the passengers. Nor does it lock anything.)
Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 PM
itsmeitsitsmichaelt
Cruising

I did get a new battery and the PKE is now working. Thanks for the help
Old 04-13-2011, 06:56 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

I believe there is a sequence to erase all key fobs. Perhaps this should be done first.

Also, disagree...the door button on the key fob will lock or unlock the doors, or just the driver's door if that is how it has been programmed. The hatch button unlocks the hatch.

Be sure you have one for a coupe unless you have a 'vert. Then a fob for a vert is required. They are different.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by LannyL81

Also, disagree...the door button on the key fob will lock or unlock the doors, or just the driver's door if that is how it has been programmed. The hatch button unlocks the hatch.
The door button will NOT lock or unlock the drivers door.

The only thing that button does is unlock the passenger door when the passive system is set to operate the drivers door only.

You can set the passive system to operate drivers door only, or both drivers and passenger door.
If set to drivers door only, then the button on the FOB can be used to unlock the passenger door.
However, it will not lock that door.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:10 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
The door button will NOT lock or unlock the drivers door.

The only thing that button does is unlock the passenger door when the passive system is set to operate the drivers door only.

You can set the passive system to operate drivers door only, or both drivers and passenger door.
If set to drivers door only, then the button on the FOB can be used to unlock the passenger door.
However, it will not lock that door.
Sorry Lanni, Rolla is corrrect. There is no "non" passive locking option with factory PKE. Also, I think (but not 100% sure) that programming a fob erases the programming for previous fobs. So to get three fobs working for a car you would have to program all three in the same procedure. Rolla, do you know?

Also, a vert fob will work on a coupe, it just won't have a hatch button.

Last edited by markKlein; 04-13-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:26 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by markKlein
Also, I think (but not 100% sure) that programming a fob erases the programming for previous fobs. So to get three fobs working for a car you would have to program all three in the same procedure. Rolla, do you know?
From reading the "Matching Transmitters" section in the owners manual, that is the way I understand it also.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:14 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm a little late on this thread but just bought a 3rd Fob this week. Nope, I found out you can't just add it. The original 2 I had then did not work. I had to get back into program mode and program all three at the same time.

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 keyless entry

Quick Reply: 1996 keyless entry