C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Corvette Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:09 PM
crzydrumer14
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Corvette Overheating

Hey guys, went to start up the vette today after about 4 days and when I turned the key it started to crank then i heard a deep pop come from the engine. Afterwards my car is running about 20-30 hotter (about 180-200) than normal and heats up rapidly when just idling..... (up to 220 at one point) :/

Any suggestions as to what could be going on?

Thermostat stuck...?

I know that's not very hot but still seems alittle odd and I'd like to fix it.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:49 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I vote 'burp' it first, and see if that helps, then with it cold, open the cap and check for air bubbles.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:26 AM
crzydrumer14
Racer

by burb do you mean bleed the system?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:01 PM
GARYIMES7
1st Gear

The mechanic that I use says that he's seen a lot of C4s do the same thing. He says that the higher mileage and age on the idiot gauges are usually the problem. Try a higher temp thermostat.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:28 PM
crzydrumer14
Racer

I think there may be something stuck in the fan or in the radiator like a bag or something. Im at work though so ill check it when i get home. (didnt drive it to work). Im thinking= its a piece of trash though becuase it only heats up when im just sitting there. As soon as i get moving its fine. But garyimes7 i highly doubt it the gauges or something big just becuase my vette has 55000 miles on. Its practically brand new. Im thinking its just trash. If not ill try a new thermostat. Thanks guys
Old 04-02-2011, 03:55 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,018 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by GARYIMES7
The mechanic that I use says that he's seen a lot of C4s do the same thing. He says that the higher mileage and age on the idiot gauges are usually the problem. Try a higher temp thermostat.
WTF?

As with all cooling problems, eliminate the easy things first.
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/vad...erheating.html

That link is the basic steps to go through.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by crzydrumer14
by burb do you mean bleed the system?
'bur...'p'
Old 04-03-2011, 05:40 AM
slicked25
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, went to start up the vette today after about 4 days and when I turned the key it started to crank then i heard a deep pop come from the engine. Afterwards my car is running about 20-30 hotter (about 180-200) than normal and heats up rapidly when just idling..... (up to 220 at one point) :/

Any suggestions as to what could be going on?

Thermostat stuck...?

I know that's not very hot but still seems alittle odd and I'd like to fix it.

Thanks guys.
Are both fans kicking on primary on left secondary on right? The fan motor quit on mine (primary) and it was doing the same thing. I think you only have to burp it after flushing it then refilling. See if something is blocking the radiator fins. Is it dirty? Take a water hose to both sets of fins. When idling she'll get hotter with the A/C on and cool down with the fan on so a TStat fixed it. Get it fixed before it gets hot.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

You need a new mechanic! Gauges read what the sensors send them. If anything the sensors might be bad. Not the gauges. High mileage has nothing to do with gauges. "Idiot lights" are used in cars without an actual gauge.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:51 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Old 04-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Your mechanic??? I wouldn't let that guy touch my lawn mower
Old 04-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

If your car is running 180-200, you need to find something else to worry about. The "pop" you heard was a cat escaping when you hit the key....unsuccessfully..
Old 04-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet 90
Your lawn mower will last fifty years....you only have to mow 3 times a year.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:43 PM
crzydrumer14
Racer

update... I was just paying extra attention to everything after that pop. Scared me there. haha. its all good. checked it all out last night; space in between condenser, radiator itself, thermostat, and fans. All checked out. I just got the car like a month ago. Its all good. Still getting used to it and how it runs and what the gauges normally read. False alarm. Thanks though.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:04 AM
amadrid7
1st Gear

update... I was just paying extra attention to everything after that pop. Scared me there. haha. its all good. checked it all out last night; space in between condenser, radiator itself, thermostat, and fans. All checked out. I just got the car like a month ago. Its all good. Still getting used to it and how it runs and what the gauges normally read. False alarm. Thanks though.
Ya good luck with it I got my 84 vette about 6 months ago and Im still learning I never had a sports car I never new they run hotter then normal cars.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Vetster88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sweet 90
"heres your problem...The blade is too long, need to shorten it so it'll reduce the unneccesary length. also the tires need to be bigger as to keep the deck from 'bottoming out' in the grass. I would also recommend using a glow plug for better over all running, spark plugs are over rated."

Those mechanics are why my corvettes remain in my garage under multiple locks n keys...with parking brakes applied and a couple large trucks parked in front of the garage door... with kill switches
Old 08-19-2012, 12:28 AM
skunkus
1st Gear

I know the problem on overheating or raising temperatures no one has mentioned yet. Check under neath the very front of your vette. Is there a plastic spoiler hanging down? Notice Corvettes dont have a front grill like most cars so, air needs to be drawn up from underneath. These get ripped off from those cement parking lot blocks. If you are missing yours, buy one install it, and then reduce your thermostat to 185, then Walmart has a coolant "add to any color and any type" coolant (its green), its a white bottle. Do these 3 things and your done, I guarantee, mine is at 185 perfect at night, 215 on a hot day, 225 in traffic, but the fans come on then and reduce temps to 203, then go back up, then down. But check underneath, I'll bet that wrap around spoiler might be gone.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Corvette Overheating

Quick Reply: C4 Corvette Overheating