C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Cannot not open door with key fob

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 05:26 PM
ameribrit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PKE not Working

My PKE light does not come on when the ignition key is ON. The light flashes in programming mode like it is supposed to, but cannot program the PKE - it was working, then put in new battery (3.3V, checked out)
and cannot get it to work now. Is there a fuse somewhere that I can check? If receiver is bad, will dump the PKE. Thanks ...
Old 04-20-2014, 06:37 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

To increase the odds of getting an answer to your question, start a new thread. If anyone starts to read this one and sees that it's over 3 years old, they may move on. Also a good tip to include the year of the car in any questions, since all years aren't always the same.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:57 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ameribrit
My PKE light does not come on when the ignition key is ON. The light flashes in programming mode like it is supposed to, but cannot program the PKE - it was working, then put in new battery (3.3V, checked out)
and cannot get it to work now. Is there a fuse somewhere that I can check? If receiver is bad, will dump the PKE. Thanks ...
Provide the details. What does cannot program mean? Have you tried turning it on/off? What (exactly) happens? Check fuses 26, 40 and 42. If it is a coupe does it open the hatch? Is the battery upside down?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:25 PM
ameribrit
Advanced

Default PKE Problem

Originally Posted by markKlein
Provide the details. What does cannot program mean? Have you tried turning it on/off? What (exactly) happens? Check fuses 26, 40 and 42. If it is a coupe does it open the hatch? Is the battery upside down?
Thanks - and sorry for not posting as new, makes sense as this thread is old.

My car is a 96 CE LT4, coupe w/34K miles.

PKE was working, battery died, put replacement in (voltage fine at 3.2V+) and now nothing works. Here are answers to the questions you raise ...

1. Program. I put new battery in and when it did not work (none of the doors unlock, hatch does not unlock) then followed the manual instructions for reprogramming. I got the PKE light in DIC to blink with the PKE in the car, but it would not program the FOB - IOWs, the PKE light did not stay on, just went out.
2. Fuses just checked out, all are fine. Door locks work manually, not with PKE.
3. Battery installed with + on top side, s/b OK.

The PKE light does not light up in DIC when ignition turned on, does go into programming mode tho.

All that said, there could be a possible problem with antenna, would this cause the problem? I had a nest of mice living under the carpet in the back when stored at my Dads house. I checked all the wiring to the antenna hung on the back coupe inner wall and other visible places I could see and it all looked fine. I would hate to replace receiver when there could be an antenna problem somewhere. All the wiring in the back looks clean and intact and coupe hatch opens fine. Other: I do have intermittant climate control functionality (sometimes all lights work, sometimes only a few), if this has anything to do with it. I have replaced the CC head unit and cleaned the contacts in the past. I can live with no PKE but the car is mint all around and hate to lose it when it did work OK for the last 6 years, tho sometimes it would not work, also intermittant. Lots of little electrical gremlins it seems with this car. Thanks!

Last edited by ameribrit; 04-20-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:53 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ameribrit
Thanks - and sorry for not posting as new, makes sense as this thread is old.

My car is a 96 CE LT4, coupe w/34K miles.

PKE was working, battery died, put replacement in (voltage fine at 3.2V+) and now nothing works. Here are answers to the questions you raise ...

1. Program. I put new battery in and when it did not work (none of the doors unlock, hatch does not unlock) then followed the manual instructions for reprogramming. I got the PKE light in DIC to blink with the PKE in the car, but it would not program the FOB - IOWs, the PKE light did not stay on, just went out.
2. Fuses just checked out, all are fine. Door locks work manually, not with PKE.
3. Battery installed with + on top side, s/b OK.

The PKE light does not light up in DIC when ignition turned on, does go into programming mode tho.

All that said, there could be a possible problem with antenna, would this cause the problem? I had a nest of mice living under the carpet in the back when stored at my Dads house. I checked all the wiring to the antenna hung on the back coupe inner wall and other visible places I could see and it all looked fine. I would hate to replace receiver when there could be an antenna problem somewhere. All the wiring in the back looks clean and intact and coupe hatch opens fine. Other: I do have intermittant climate control functionality (sometimes all lights work, sometimes only a few), if this has anything to do with it. I have replaced the CC head unit and cleaned the contacts in the past. I can live with no PKE but the car is mint all around and hate to lose it when it did work OK for the last 6 years, tho sometimes it would not work, also intermittant. Lots of little electrical gremlins it seems with this car. Thanks!
If I remember there are multiple antennas. Hard to believe they all went belly up. If I had to guess (which I am) I would say that the battery didn't die originally, the fob failed. Check the circuit board in the fob and look for cracks in the connections. Some guys have had luck resoldering all the connections they could see. Easiest thing to try would be to find someone with a known working fob (is there a club in your town or something?) and see if you can program your car to it. The symptoms you describe sound to me like a fob failure rather than a receiver failure. If you get to the flashing light in the programming procedure chances are pretty good the receiver is OK.

Based on your climate control problem I wonder if you have a ground problem. Might be worth your time to inspect all the grounds you can find and make sure those connections are good.

Last edited by markKlein; 04-20-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:04 PM
ameribrit
Advanced

If I remember there are multiple antennas. Hard to believe they all went belly up. If I had to guess (which I am) I would say that the battery didn't die originally, the fob failed. Check the circuit board in the fob and look for cracks in the connections. Some guys have had luck resoldering all the connections they could see. Easiest thing to try would be to find someone with a known working fob (is there a club in your town or something?) and see if you can program your car to it. The symptoms you describe sound to me like a fob failure rather than a receiver failure. If you get to the flashing light in the programming procedure chances are pretty good the receiver is OK.

Based on your climate control problem I wonder if you have a ground problem. Might be worth your time to inspect all the grounds you can find and make sure those connections are good.

Good suggestions, grounding may be an issue. I have noticed and have posted about what appears to be some new found wiring insulation damage for very thin wire located behind my drivers seat, running to the back of the vehicle. Exposed copper, but appeared intact - the little rodents likely did it because some remnant bird seed was lodged behind the wire. Fun. I will check the grounding if I can find where the ground leads are located.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:41 AM
adubien
2nd Gear

What a day. I have a 95' coupe. Was out driving on a beautiful day and all of a sudden the rear hatch opens up and the door locks begin to cycle. I pull over, close the hatch and begin driving again. I notice the Passive System light is coming on and going off from time to time. Again the hatch opens. I pull over and shut the car off. Get out, close the hatch, get back in the car and the door locks are cycling . Start the car , things are quiet for a tiome and the whole thing starts going crazy again. When I get home ,I replace the battery in the Fob and the Fob doesn't doo anything. try standing next to the car and holding the door button down for a minute or more. Still nothing. I try to reprogram the car to the Fob. Place the Fob away, get in the car and turn the key on, press the ODO/trip button twice and then push and hold the fuel info button. Nothing happens. I try this several times. Nothing. Turn the key off and leave the car. once back in the house the look out to see that the hatch has opened. go out close the hatch. The doors are locked. I sit in the car , put the key in the ignition. from the dash I hear clicking and some sort of noises going on. The door locks begin to cycle a couple time. I got out and pulled the PKE fuse. I believe the PKE module may have gone bad. Any suggestions ???
Old 09-08-2014, 01:37 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by adubien
What a day. I have a 95' coupe. Was out driving on a beautiful day and all of a sudden the rear hatch opens up and the door locks begin to cycle. I pull over, close the hatch and begin driving again. I notice the Passive System light is coming on and going off from time to time. Again the hatch opens. I pull over and shut the car off. Get out, close the hatch, get back in the car and the door locks are cycling . Start the car , things are quiet for a tiome and the whole thing starts going crazy again. When I get home ,I replace the battery in the Fob and the Fob doesn't doo anything. try standing next to the car and holding the door button down for a minute or more. Still nothing. I try to reprogram the car to the Fob. Place the Fob away, get in the car and turn the key on, press the ODO/trip button twice and then push and hold the fuel info button. Nothing happens. I try this several times. Nothing. Turn the key off and leave the car. once back in the house the look out to see that the hatch has opened. go out close the hatch. The doors are locked. I sit in the car , put the key in the ignition. from the dash I hear clicking and some sort of noises going on. The door locks begin to cycle a couple time. I got out and pulled the PKE fuse. I believe the PKE module may have gone bad. Any suggestions ???
I believe you are probably correct. I suggest following the diagnostics in the FSM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:49 PM
dalunas
Heel & Toe

Read the owners manual. Sounds like the fob and PKE module are working as designed. But, to summarize: the fob door button does not lock the doors. Ever. The fob will open the passenger door and hatchback. Right now your system is turned "off", meaning the PKE feature is inactive. TO turn it on, stand by the drivers door and hold down the door button for a few seconds. You should hear a sound like the doors locking and then unlocking. That would mean the PKE system is turned on. The way the system works is, when you walk away from the car, it locks the doors (without pushing button). When you walk back close to the car it unlocks the doors.

It does not work like a typical fob.
THANK YOU!! THis post helped me with my issue. I thought i would have to take to shop again. Awesome place for help!!!
thanks!!
Old 07-24-2018, 04:10 PM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dalunas
THANK YOU!! THis post helped me with my issue. I thought i would have to take to shop again. Awesome place for help!!!
thanks!!
Your horn should also sound one time as you walk away letting you know that the PKE has performed it's function of locking doors and setting security system on.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:40 PM
dalunas
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MARKRUBYRED
Your horn should also sound one time as you walk away letting you know that the PKE has performed it's function of locking doors and setting security system on.

I spoke too soon. While it did lock, no horn sound. Now the locks don’t work at all. Will tr6 to reprogram but this is 3rd time the flobob fails. I really don’t want to take to mechanic again
Old 07-24-2018, 07:38 PM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Originally Posted by dalunas

I spoke too soon. While it did lock, no horn sound. Now the locks don’t work at all. Will tr6 to reprogram but this is 3rd time the flobob fails. I really don’t want to take to mechanic again
I just realized you have been dealing with the PKE issue for 4 years and just resurrected this thread.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:45 PM
dales717
8th Gear

So is it safe to say my '87 C4 does not have any option to open the hatch with a fab?
Old 04-12-2021, 08:56 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dales717
So is it safe to say my '87 C4 does not have any option to open the hatch with a fab?
no factory option. Plenty of aftermarket choices.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:28 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Keep in mind you can turn off the PKE system by holding the door button on the fob while in range. The locks will cycle back-forth indicating that the system is now off (or now on if it was off). I believe it will still open the hatch with the hatch button while the PKE system is turned off. To change the function to unlock drivers door vs unlock both doors with PKE on approach, you have to put the key in the ignition and then hold the door button on the fob. Locks will cycle and unlock action is changed from unlock just driver door to unlock both (or vice versa). This is all in the owner's manual. I think it works great except the system locks the doors only after the driver's door is closed. If you open/close the passenger door and then go out of range, its dumb, no response. Just a little annoying but no big deal.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:07 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DGXR
Keep in mind you can turn off the PKE system by holding the door button on the fob while in range. The locks will cycle back-forth indicating that the system is now off (or now on if it was off). I believe it will still open the hatch with the hatch button while the PKE system is turned off. To change the function to unlock drivers door vs unlock both doors with PKE on approach, you have to put the key in the ignition and then hold the door button on the fob. Locks will cycle and unlock action is changed from unlock just driver door to unlock both (or vice versa). This is all in the owner's manual. I think it works great except the system locks the doors only after the driver's door is closed. If you open/close the passenger door and then go out of range, its dumb, no response. Just a little annoying but no big deal.
He has an '87. He doesn't have PKE.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:08 PM
chrldo
Instructor

FYI theres a pke remote on ebay today for a convertible, the internals are the same as a coupe . just a different case. its been on there for 4 hours, cant believe its still available. CORVETTE (RARE) ORIGINAL CONVERTIBLE 1993 1994 1995 1996 SMART KEYLESS REMOTE | eBay there is an aftermatket case available but you must modify it to accept OEM internals Keyless Entry Remote Fob Shell SNAP STYLE Case Fits GM 88960923 93-96 Corvette | eBay........................................ .......... FOR PKE REMOTE REPAIRS CONTACT c4fob@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Cannot not open door with key fob