C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

carpet

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:01 PM
ERNNRON
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carpet

Got new carpet for my car 1991 , could use a little help from someone who has installed new carpet in their car. i got the carpet from ecklerds. thanks for any help or advice. Ron
Old 03-16-2011, 02:10 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

remove the seats, pull all the old , its a good time to replace the padding and sound deadener, takes probably 8 hrs , the new carpet fits under the console without removing it , the knee bolsters need to be removed and left over night for the glue to set and hold them up, door sills, ebrake handle, are easier to work with if removed. The plastic across the back latch area should be removed also. To add to this, today I pulled my new carpet out to replace the pad and sound deadener that I didnt do the first time. My bad. You need to remove the console to get the 'across the tunell' padding out and then the new in and remove the seat belts. My old padding didnt smell moldy, but it was wet down under the foot area and its that oem padding that retains moisture. I'm installing 70mil 'fatmat' and will post pics, I have the befores but not the afters. a little more to this, I had bout 4" of water under the passenger side storage compartment, so hatch rail drains are goin in along with that weather strip kit that I've had since last summer.

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 03-19-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:52 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ERNNRON
Got new carpet for my car 1991 , could use a little help from someone who has installed new carpet in their car. i got the carpet from ecklerds. thanks for any help or advice. Ron
didnt mean to hyjack this thread, just p.o'd at myself for not doing it right the first time.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:29 PM
ERNNRON
Heel & Toe

That all right carpet is going in slowly , but looking good.thanks ron
Old 03-22-2011, 01:00 AM
MBE111
Advanced

Yes, everything the Old Alaskan said but let us know what you are going to use for glue to hold the carpet to the plastic side panels on the center counsel and also the pieces that are on the bottom side of the dash on the right and left sides. Or maybe your 91 doesn't have carpet there. I tried double sided 3M carpet tape and that did not seem like a permanent attachment, so then I tried 3M spray on contact adhesive.....I don't have much confidence in it either. The heat in the summer will loosen any of the glues that I have tried so far. I think the job requires a fast setting rubber type contact adhesive. Let us know what works for you.
Thanks
Old 03-22-2011, 08:02 AM
ERNNRON
Heel & Toe

I used UGL contact cement that you brush on. I used a heat gun to remove the old carpet from the doors and dash, the old glue was still on the parts. so I used the heat gun to soften up the glue then put the new carpet on. The new carpet sticks right away so make sure it is line up right, if you make a mistake have your heat gun handy. be very careful you do not burn the new carpet. today I am doing the doors, the same way. Ron
Old 03-22-2011, 07:25 PM
MBE111
Advanced

I used UGL contact cement that you brush on. I used a heat gun to remove the old carpet from the doors and dash, the old glue was still on the parts. so I used the heat gun to soften up the glue then put the new carpet on. The new carpet sticks right away so make sure it is line up right, if you make a mistake have your heat gun handy. be very careful you do not burn the new carpet. today I am doing the doors, the same way. Ron
I am not familiar with UGL contact cement. I bought some "liquid nail" in a caulking tube and am going to try that. I will let you know how it works.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:56 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

when i did mine the first time I used the spray upholstry adhesive, the only complaint was that the knee bolster carpet glue softened up in the summer and released the carpet. I solved it with a few staples.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all the original glue is, is hot glue no big mystery. melt some with a glue gun, you'll see what I mean. Probably GM used a stroger strength but my carpet glued down fine with just a store bought hot glue gun and yellow sticks.

You just have to do small areas so the glue doesn't cool down. No way will interior temps exceed what the glue gun does so no chance the glue will get that hot for the carpet to release.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:18 AM
91 corvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hot melt glue gun and a lot of work. That how I did mine about 3 years ago.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:10 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

I bought the glue sold for the purpose from Mid America. It is a brush-on contact type. I could tell right away that it holds much better than the 3M spray...MUCH better. We'll see how it holds up this summer, but we had a cold snap, and it held just fine in the cold (where the 3M stuff showed signs of letting go).

Gotta run!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:10 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wondering if you could take like about a few bags of the sticks at a time and melt them over flame and then just use a putty knife to spread it.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey,
I got my carpet kit in today, cant wait to get started replacing my old worn out stuff + the MAD Vet insulation kit I got......I was wondering if ERNNRON has any updates to his progress?

I think I will use the UGL contact cement previously mentioned, can anybody elaborate on what this is?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MBE111
Yes, everything the Old Alaskan said but let us know what you are going to use for glue to hold the carpet to the plastic side panels on the center counsel and also the pieces that are on the bottom side of the dash on the right and left sides. Or maybe your 91 doesn't have carpet there. I tried double sided 3M carpet tape and that did not seem like a permanent attachment, so then I tried 3M spray on contact adhesive.....I don't have much confidence in it either. The heat in the summer will loosen any of the glues that I have tried so far. I think the job requires a fast setting rubber type contact adhesive. Let us know what works for you.
Thanks
when I removed the old carpet from the trans tunnel, I used a heat gun to soften it then I removed it. The glue on there is crazy so I just left it and got it hot again and put the new carpet on. This worked for my 86 with no problems and I had that for 4 years. Just did it again for my 96 last week. I did spray some 3m on there also and then let it flash to get tacky. Just my bit of experience. good luck with it. save the old footwell carpets and the rear speaker carpets to use as templates for cutting out the new because they don't come cut.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ok,
So Im waist-deep into the carpet R&R on my 91. Turns out the ACC mass-backed carpet also includes some jute-padding.

Heres my question: I have the MADVET heat/sound insulation kit I want to install too. So, whats the best approach: Place the heat insulation down first, and then the jute padding and with the carpet on the top layer? Putting the foil insulation over the jute doesnt seem like it would work very well. On the other hand, the jute padding seems to be tailored to fit into the area exactly....
Old 05-14-2011, 11:18 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

insulation first then jute, I used headliner spray adhesive the 2nd time, spray both items, stick together, doesnt even act like it wants to move, and quick. I put dynomat, 'fatmat', the 2nd time also. love it , no more road noise

Get notified of new replies

To carpet

Quick Reply: carpet