C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need trans help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:10 PM
corvetteharley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need trans help

I've an 86 auto it just started sticking in gear and when it shifts it's hard checked fluid it was low I put a quart in the fluid was still pink but a little dark it's over due on a change. Money is tight right now. Am I looking at serious problems or a real need for filter n fluid change any help appreciated
Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 AM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by corvetteharley
I've an 86 auto it just started sticking in gear and when it shifts it's hard checked fluid it was low I put a quart in the fluid was still pink but a little dark it's over due on a change. Money is tight right now. Am I looking at serious problems or a real need for filter n fluid change any help appreciated
what if you shift it by hand, clicking through the gears. does it still "stick in gear"...?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:05 PM
corvetteharley
Advanced

Yeah tried that this morning. But since I topped the fluid off second gear seemed a little smoother. I priced a filter at oreillys they said ten bucks does that sound right. I figured I'd try and change fluid n filter this weekend run it a bit then drain fluid and put new back in again to clean it. Is there a cleaning fluid I could use. Or am I looking at a major rebuild
Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

I would try changing the filter and fluid first. Put some Dexron VI in it and see how it shifts before I went to the tranny shop.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:01 AM
jlr4115
Advanced

Sounds to me like 3 and 4 gear clutch pacs are going(or gone)
Old 03-12-2011, 09:41 AM
corvetteharley
Advanced

Well changed filter and fluid last night. It stuck at first but I drove it a couple miles shifting smoothed out but it now makes a horrible sound underneath like everything is loose or I was dragging something only I'm not. That magnet in the pan was loaded with silver stuff. I guess I'm looking at a rebuild do you all agree
Old 03-12-2011, 03:49 PM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Several transmission guys told me that since my trans fluid was in such bad shape (burnt, and a lot of sediment in the magnet) that changing it would cause the trans to fail almost immediately. The guy who first pulled the pan, in fact, insisted in putting the old ruined fluid back in because he said if he refilled with new and I drove away I might have to have the car towed back in for the rebuild. Acting on that advice I got it rebuilt instead of just changing the fluid/filter and hoping for the best.

It seems like your experience proves them right.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:58 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brown or gray sediment in the pan is clutch disc wear, but silver is not good. Could be needle bearing disintegration and that would throw things out of centerline. If that's the original untouched tranny, it's a prudent choice for overhaul-it won't last much longer and continued driving will rack up $$ as major parts are affected. Figure a converter as well since it's just as old and that crap is now in there too.....
Old 03-12-2011, 04:30 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by anciano
Several transmission guys told me that since my trans fluid was in such bad shape (burnt, and a lot of sediment in the magnet) that changing it would cause the trans to fail almost immediately. The guy who first pulled the pan, in fact, insisted in putting the old ruined fluid back in because he said if he refilled with new and I drove away I might have to have the car towed back in for the rebuild. Acting on that advice I got it rebuilt instead of just changing the fluid/filter and hoping for the best.

It seems like your experience proves them right.
I have always heard the same thing. If they get above 70k miles and the fluids never been changed leave it alone, in other words, dont fix it if it aint broken.
BUT, when they start giving you issues, you gotta drop the pan anyway. If your budget is tight, you might want to look around at some of the local junkyards, someplaces you can find 700R4s for a few hundred, rebuilds usually run around 1k and up. Depending on what all it needs. Used tranny may last the life of the car, then again, it could fail also. With the rebuild you know what you got and probably a warranty with also.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:40 PM
corvetteharley
Advanced

i got a hold of an old friend who used to work on my vettes and asked him what he thought,he said it was shot i explained the sounds it makes and he said not to drive it that it wont make it far if i do.so i guess im riding the harley for a while.i figure ill try and get by till i can get to where i can finance the tranny and motor both to be rebuilt that way theyll both be on the same time frame.with my luck the motor will die after i fix the tranny it has the same miles and smokes a little at start probably blow by but better safe.thanks all for replies i like this forum everybody tries to help oneanother again thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Need trans help

Quick Reply: Need trans help