Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hello All - Newbie here..(kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Slow_Lane
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello All - Newbie here..(kinda long)

Hello all,

My name is Dave and I recently purchased my first Corvette and have been reading posts in this forum for awhile now so I decided to join.

Background:

As a child of the 80’s (I’m 41 now) I was familiar with and a fan of the 60’s muscle cars and a real fan of the “new” muscle cars from my high school era (namely 5 Liter Mustangs, F-bodies, and of course Corvette). Over time I have owned a number of these cars, along with many more modern cars with my favorite to date being an 88 Formula 350 and my most recent daily driver being an 04 Mustang. But I always loved the 84 Corvette for it’s combination of incredible handling/suspension, awesome looks, clamshell hood, and old school V8 power.

My first Corvette

So last year I decided that I must buy a C4 Corvette. Of course everyone here knows that prices have never been better. Unfortunately the economy has not been friendly to my industry and I have a daughter starting college so I had limited funds to work with. After kicking a lot of tires I became the proud owner of a 1989 Corvette.

Ok, so it wasn’t the 84 that I had wanted for nostalgic reasons that I’d be glad to elaborate on at some point in the future (yes I know all about CFI, I had an 82 Trans Am), I think the 89 was in fact the perfect year for me, kind of an 84 with a bunch of built in upgrades!

My car:
1989 Corvette Coupe
Metallic Grey
Light Grey leather seats, non “sport” seats
Automatic Transmission
3.07 axle ratio
FE4 “comfort ride” suspension
61,000 miles
Crappy aftermarket head unit (former Bose)
Purchase price $ 6900

My impressions so far:

I looked and drove an few other Corvettes in my price range including some tired 92-94 cars. For the money I had to spend I am happy with what I got.

The paint has a few thin spots but looks good from 10 feet. The bumpers have some light spider webs which also look good from a few feet away. I will probably have to paint this

car at some point. The interior is good, seats show a little wear, dash, steering wheel and console are like new.

I only got one top with the car, the acrylic one. It has some stress runners in it but is not cracked. I hope I can use it for awhile longer. I’d like to find a “hard top” at some point in the future, I think the transparent top might be a bit unpleasant during the summer months.

The car rides smooth. It is the softest riding Corvette I have ever ridden in. It might be a little too soft, I’m not sure. Seems to roll more than most C4’s I’ve been in, but mind you it’s still a C4 not a Buick. I’ll probably take it to a local autoX later this spring so I can push it harder than I’ve been able to on the street. The car is virtually rattle free. I mean this thing is quiet.

The exhaust is too quiet for a Corvette. It’s 100% stock as far as I can tell. My L98 formula had a more aggressive sound….I’ve got to fix this!

The Bad:

I think the PO tried to hide an overheating condition from me. (remember it’s winter in the Midwest) I discovered right away that the car has a 160 deg thermostat. I couldn’t get the car any warmer than that the few days I drove it to work (highway, 70-75mph). But setting in a drive through I watched the temp climb…180, 190, 220, 230…. and the fan never came on. Replicated this in my driveway all the way to 250 neither fan came on. Pulled the temp switch from the intake manifold and it was faulty. Jumped the ground and the fans came on.

But alas it’s probably too late. The next Saturday my wife wanted to try driving the Vette. We drove a few blocks to a convince store to get a drink and when we got out there it was…coolant leaking out of the driver’s side of the engine. Umm there are no hoses there but it appears to be coming from the head gasket area. So the “new” Corvette is now holding down a spot in my garage waiting enough warm days and me to have time to dig into it.

I think I’ll do both gaskets and have the heads machined while I’m in there. Also probably a great time to do new cap & rotor, wires, water pump, belt, hoses etc.

Sorry for the long intro but I know some of you enjoy reading about Corvettes ( I know I do). Looking forward to cruising this spring/summer. As for the head gasket, hey it’s a 20+ year old car…crap happens. Me, I have no regrets so far…except I wish it were red!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:49 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Congratulations on your purchase. You have found the right place for advice and some wierdness too.
I have a friend here in my area whose Forum name is SLOLANE as is his custom license plate. His name is Don Lane and his yellow C6 Z06 is anything but slow! Some of us refer to him as smoke lane as he loves to burn rubber!
I'm sure he will be happy there is another one on here.
Welcome!

Last edited by corvetteronw; 03-05-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:05 PM
MyFirst90coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has been up on stands for about a month while I do exactly what you're proposing to do.

Welcome to the C4 funfest!!

If you've been reading a lot on here you know that everyone is going to demand pics.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:09 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum, or as I like to call it, The Forum. Its the best forum I've ever been a part of with tons of information and the best people. Its never been a disappointment and everyone here is eager to lend a hand or an ear. We have a few things in common. I'm also a child of the '80's and have owned basically the same cars you did. My first was a 70 Nova, had a couple of Mustangs and a Formula Firebird. The 85 C4 was always a favorite of mine and when I saw one in the color combination I wanted, I snapped it up.

Sounded like you got a good buy, until you said "head gasket." Are you sure its the head gasket? What about a leaking freeze plug? Its definitely cramped toward the bottom of the engine bay, but I would start simple, unless you want some more power with reworked heads and have to give an excuse to the wife

C4's generally do run hot by the way. My 85 will reach 205 - 210 on hot summer days here on Long Island. My aux fan on the front of the radiator keeps her cool though and I've never hit the 230 mark for the main fan to kick in. Sounds like you may have already found your fan problem though. I always replaced both the switch and the relay whenever I suspect fan problems. Its cheap enough and can't really hurt.

As far as your exhaust goes, most of us here have some kind of aftermarket exhaust. I have straight pipe installed on mine from the cat back and it sounds like a Corvette should in my opinion.

No matter what you decide, you will have a ton of fun with your "new" C4. Welcome to the madness!
Old 03-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Richard Church
Instructor

Welcome aboard. Yep we need pic. Rich
Old 03-04-2011, 03:33 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

You had me at 'Hello'

btw, the 160 deg thermostat is a "go fast" thing (so some believe), so I doubt the PO was trying to hide an overheating problem
Old 03-04-2011, 04:20 PM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum and Corvette ownership! Wow, it's hard to believe that 1980 was 41 years ago! I reported on board a ship for my last sea tour in the Navy in 1981.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by proracr
Welcome to the forum and Corvette ownership! Wow, it's hard to believe that 1980 was 41 years ago! I reported on board a ship for my last sea tour in the Navy in 1981.
Try 31 years ago. I just made you feel 10 years younger.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:34 PM
h.d.fire
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the Forum! I'm also a "neebie" here and I bought my 89' last fall, waiting for spring!
Sorry to hear about the heating issues, but you came to the right place for help! The guys here are great!!
Best of luck, and post some pic's!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:38 PM
CDN/AZ LT4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, Slo Lane. I'm sure you'll be impressed as I am with the amount of information available on this Forum and the quick responses you get from fellow members when you have queries. I believe most all Corvette owners are "car guys" and while we love our Vettes, we appreciate all cars that handle well, go fast and look good.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Slow_Lane
Racer

Thanks all for the welcome. I will post up a couple of pics tonight, but it's an all original grey metallic 89. The color is sort of rare I suppose.

About my statement that the PO tried to hide an overheating condition...I should have been more clear - I understand the 160* t-stat is a popular "upgrade" for these cars (remember I was in the F-body scene previously). What I should have said was that I think the fan was inop when I got the car and the fact that I was driving during a cool time of year+ 80% highway+ the 160 stat kept the car out of a condition where the fan would usually operate. Also I could smell glycol when the car warmed up but no visible leaks I figured it was possibly the heater core)

It wasn't until a warm day where I was idleing for a period of time that temps climbed and the fan did not come on - I'm thinking this probably happened to the PO too and probably warped the head and gasket let go on my watch. Not saying it was on purpose...the car was traded in though.

Nice idea on the freeze plug. I'll have to look and see where those are at on a SBC...my leak is near # 7 towards the back of the block and was spewing out at a pretty good rate.

Have any of you all done heads on an L98 and if so are there pitfalls to aviod and how much time should I plan on (moderate skills)?
Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 PM
steverichmond
Racer

Welcome to the the best forum anywhere. Looking forward to the pics!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:03 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Sorry to hear about the illness your C4 has incurred. Your 89 is a great choice, it has all the upgrades and improvements the engineers came up for the early C4 while still retaining the "atari" dashboard before the switch over to a more traditional dash. Welcome aboard.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:57 AM
94Ad Blue
Instructor

Welcome to the group!!!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:11 AM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Welcome to the Forum! Grey was a rare color in 89 with only 225 made. Love to see some pics
Old 03-05-2011, 11:16 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I don't know if he was hiding the heating thing from you. I would guess the coolant leaking is that issue.

I do think he failed to disclose the issue however. If it leaked on you it most likely leaked on him. I hope you paid a fair price.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 03-05-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:47 PM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oops! Pardon my math in the post above. I didn't use my fingers when I counted!

Get notified of new replies

To Hello All - Newbie here..(kinda long)

Old 03-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Slow_Lane
Racer

Thanks again for the warm welcome. Hopefully I'll be a useful contributor in the future. Reagrding the condition of the car and what the PO did or didn't know, well that's history now anyway.

As promised here's some pics...sorry if they're not the greatest - I took them with my phone. Once I get the car fixed and can take some better shots in the daylight I'll post them up. Yep with only 225 of this color it is at least unusual & not unattractive although not my first choice.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:16 PM
blben4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, nice ride good luck!!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:02 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to The Forum You will get a lot of help here from guys who really know their stuff. Over the past 10 years they have helped me restore my 86 roadster to NCRS standards. I'd never been able to do it without them. Great place !

First, make sure that you have a head gasket problem before you rip your L98 apart. Thats a major undertaking and should not be entered into without being absolutely sure you need to do it. My guess from 10,000 feet is that your problem is elsewhere. Check it out thoroughly.

Here are some good suggestions for a more open exhaust system. Should sound better, increase your gas mileage and give you 20-30 additional HP.

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-y-pi...1986-1991.html

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-muff...1984-1990.html

With regard to your cooling system & fan(s). Your car came with a 195 degree thermostat. The main fan is designed to come on at approximately 225 and go off at about 212. The auxiliary front fan, if so equipped, is designed to come on at 235 and go off at 212. These cars generally run around 200 degrees plus or minus. I have been running a 160 degree thermostat for years now with no ill effects. Generally my car runs about 165-175 on the highway and around 190-200 in traffic with the main fan working. My auxiliary fan has only been on twice in 25 years. In normal operation you should not need it. If your magnesium valve covers are an ugly brown color, your car has been seriously overheated. Your valve covers should look like the attached photo. They may be chipped and stained from age, but they should be silver, NOT BROWN.

Finally, attached is a good write-up on how to clean out your radiator. You shoud undertake this project as soon as possible as part of your find the leak program.

Good luck - let us know how you are coming along.

PS - your new Vette looks great !
Attached Images  
Attached Files
File Type: doc
C4 - Radiator Cleaning.doc (161.5 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by pmihaltian; 03-05-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Hello All - Newbie here..(kinda long)