C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

considering vert/ issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default considering vert/ issues?

I sold my 86 coupe. I am going to get a 95/96. I am thinking about a vert. I have never driven in one. I am wondering about noise, leaks, rear storage access. Has any one had a coupe and a vert and which did you prefer and why. I like the way the vert looks with the top off. any other issues anyone can think of? Thanks
Old 03-04-2011, 12:46 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I have owned an 86 and 91 coupe and an 87 and 96 vert. I also have owned a 65 and an 81 vert (it was converted from a coupe).
A vert is a bit noisier than a coupe with the top up and a lot noisier with the top down. BUT the joy of going topless on a beautiful day or night are priceless. It is easy to pack a vert with the top up. Simply flip the deck lid up and place a piece of dowl (cut to the proper length) between the deck lid and the base of the flipped forward top and you have easy access to the rear compartment.
Leaks can be avoided with good weatherstrip and by keeping your existing weatherstripping supple by treating it with dialectric grease every so often.
Buy the damn vert and enjoy life before you take the big dirt nap my friend!

Last edited by H P Bushrod; 03-04-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Comments best kept to yourself removed
Old 03-04-2011, 01:14 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

You don't buy a Vert if you worried about noise, leaks or storage. There's plenty of the
1st two and none of the last. The trade off?

It's a Vette the way it was meant to be the day it was created. Topless. (unless you get a hardtop, then you get 2 cars for the price of 1).
Old 03-04-2011, 06:48 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by socalman
You don't buy a Vert if you worried about noise, leaks or storage.
+1 - if you are concerned about it, maybe a vert is not right for you. Heck I have ridden my Vert in the pouring rain!

Last edited by H P Bushrod; 03-04-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:51 AM
eaglevision993
Racer

I never had a coupe but would always buy a convertible again.
Yes, it is noisy and if the weatherstripping is not good it leaks.

But it is just too much fun with the top down...
The feeling of speed and acceleration is completely different without
the top.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

My 1995 has the headliner installed and the wind noise isn't bad, even when traveling over 100 mph (I have more tire noise than wind, EMT tires). As for water leaks; my seals are perfect and there are no leaks, though I have not driven it in a real heavy downpour. Storage; a problem - with the top down it is virtually none, top up - you have an area behind the seats not big enough for a golf bag and normally you place items through the space between the seats, sometimes difficult.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

If traveling:

A vert will hold qiute a bit of clothing & personal items if packed properly. I used garment bags instead of suitcases.
You cannot put the top down when the cargo area is packed.

A coupe will hold more cargo however you cannot remove the targa & stow it in the back if the cargo area is packed.

In either case its top up or top on if traveling.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have had a vert for over 10 years now and still wouldn't own a Vette that couldn't go topless. If traveling with the wife ever occurs we use this:
Old 03-04-2011, 10:36 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

IT DEPENDS....

I own 64 72 and 98 Convertibles along with 76 79 and 88 Coupes...

The tops NEVER come off any of my Coupes and the Conv Tops NEVER seem to be up (except when storing in the winter) on any of my convertibles...

Now in August at high noon you will never ever see me driving any of the convertibles... NEVER...too darn hot... BUT at 7 Pm in the summer you will almost never see me driving one of the coupes....

Put the windows down,. remove the Targe Top and you (or at least I) sure do not feel like I'm driving a convertible... the feeling is not even close (not good nor bad)

HOWEVER

My wife and I did the National Corvette Caravan in 1999 driving my 72 Convertible... had to restrict my wife to 2 pair of shoes, and a small suitcase as I wanted the top down ... Never heard the end of her complaints ..AND even in September the heat of the day was unbearable with the top down, at highway speeds for hours on end.

We both were exhausted each night and spend the evening in the hotels hot tub drinking mixed drinks to recuperate...

when we got home my wife had a hot tub in the backyard with in a week and I had strict orders to BUY a newer Car with a Top or she would never do another Caravan again... I did buy a 98 within a month BUT I still purchased another convertible... we have done a couple other National Caravans and the 2006 Hot Rod Power tour in the 98 with the top up and a/c on most of the time...wife never complained at all especially since she was not limited to the pair of shoes on her feet plus one spare pair ...

Guess I just like Convertibles BUT you do have to put up with a few ..."complaints".... if you are married LOL

Bob G
Old 03-04-2011, 10:45 AM
TGReaper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default considering vert

If the top will not fold down or come off (as in old Austin-Healeys) then its not a real sports car.
I can not imagine owning a Corvette that is not a vert.
TGR
Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 AM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No one has mentioned the loss of chassis stiffness with the 'vert, and the increased amount of cowl shake that causes -- I can really tell the difference when my hard top is installed (winter configuration).

That said, I have no leaks with the ragtop up, and while the noise increase is noticeable....what the hell, I never expected a Lexus. Limited storage space encourages you to pack lightly, which is a good idea under any circumstances.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:59 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The storage space in a vert is somewhat limited, but should not be a deal-breaker. Couple of years ago, my wife and I took a 10-day 2800-mile trip in our convertible and were able to bring everything we needed.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

wife likes passenger window up when top is down-I told her it is against the corvette rule book to do that
Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,466 Likes on 790 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I drove an 89 vert for 12 years with most of those being in the Phoenix, AZ area and some time in Alaska and Florida. If it wasn't raining and above 60* the top was down. I've had a C5 vert since and currently drive a C6 vert. Go for the vert.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

I've owned both a coupe and vert. If you're concerned about noise, leaks and rear access, you don't want a vert. On the other hand, if you want to have fun, a vert is the only way to go. I only drive on sunny days...times when I wouldn't want to be caged up in a coupe. The only benefit of a coupe is you can do track days. Most tracks don't allow verts unless they have a roll bar.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Mrs. glass car
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the vert. I have had both bought new. A 95 coupe and my current 96 vert. Notice I say current as I have owned this car for 15 years and still love it. If you want more comfort get a Saturn... plenty of room for storage, and you won't get sunburned with the top off.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:23 AM
dsmaruska
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have owned both a 1996 vert LT4 and a 1996 coupe LT4. Other than storage and the obvious things, the only big differences I found were the chassis stiffness and road noise. The vert chassis and body will flex while the coupe is solid, and to me handles better. The vert is noisy, but who cares when the top is down ... and there is nothing more sexy looking than a vert with the top down. I miss my vert for looks and love my coupe for the ride. Either way you can't miss especially with a 1996 LT4. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:31 AM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Of the 8 Vettes we've owned the first one in 1971 was a convertible and our current one is a convertible. I guess you could say that we have come "full circle". Since we only intend to take the Vette out on sunny days, the convertible is perfect for us at this point in time.

Get notified of new replies

To considering vert/ issues?

Quick Reply: considering vert/ issues?