Longevity of Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by VetteMed
"Planned Obsolescence" is built-in to every new vehicle. No manufacturer cares about the desire to make something that lasts for 40, 20, or even 10 years, unless it allows for a marketing campaign touting such figures (like the truck commercials often do).
That's the main reason...
Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
I do.

There are plenty of examples of neglected cars and extremely well kept cars.
Like everything else, it comes down to how well it's maintained.
Originally Posted by H P Bushrod
I still have the original weatherstrip on my '93. It has the usual cracks of the door window strips, but they're not bad and there aren't any chunks out of it. I use the GM recommended grease on the weatherstrips. It's helped alot.
Keep it flexible and it'll last for a long time.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:15 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by anciano
My '94 convertible cost somebody around 50 big ones out the door, according to the 1994 invoice.
Yours must be pretty loaded - common options (Preferred Equipment Group, AC1, AC3, U1F) took a 1994 'vert to about $45,300. I do find that the loaded cars tend to stick around a little longer ...
Old 01-20-2011, 01:52 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Im just glad there are people out there that keep buying the new Vettes. That way I can get a good used one when I want to....WW
Old 01-20-2011, 01:54 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WW7
Im just glad there are people out there that keep buying the new Vettes. That way I can get a good used one when I want to....WW
I love rich people
Old 01-20-2011, 02:16 PM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, Corvettes hold their value percentage-wise well in comparison to almost all other American cars - it's just that the high initial price makes a reasonable percentage drop look like the end of the world ...
Hmmm....I just did a quick mental calculation of the depreciation rate of a Ford F-250 4X4 truck I sold a couple of years ago (all our new cars have been Japanese) and discovered that it depreciated about 67% from original price over a 10-yr period, or an average of 6.7%/yr. Calculating the 'Vette I come up with 87% depreciation over a 16-yr period, which is about 5.4%/yr.

So I stand corrected. What a DEAL this 'Vette is!
Old 01-20-2011, 02:26 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Well duh, it's not a Ford...........
Old 01-20-2011, 02:32 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by WW7
Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
I love rich people
Old 01-20-2011, 03:23 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Here's a quote from Dave McLellan's Corvette from the Inside re. the C4 frame:

"The decision to make the structure last as long as the plastic body panels required that we make it from two-side hot-dipped galvanized steel."
Old 01-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know how a lot of people don't think much of C4s...well a lot of people didn't think much of older gen Vettes in the past so that is why they got mistreated.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my for 14 years, and it has given me many problems. The problems were from my right foot!!
Seriously, GM does want to sell cars, and most cars are good for their respective warranty. Then they are a hobby.
Mclaren built there F1 street car to last a few decades, believe it or not. My right foot would probably ruin that theory.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mashinter
Here's a quote from Dave McLellan's Corvette from the Inside re. the C4 frame:

"The decision to make the structure last as long as the plastic body panels required that we make it from two-side hot-dipped galvanized steel."
The frame isn't the only underside component that requires protection! Hot dip galvanizing allows for a longer frame life, but salt and normal road debris strikes removes the zinc coating.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 AM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Well duh, it's not a Ford...........
Gosh, I just realized that it's not a truck, either. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to take a closer look at this thing.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Take exellent care of any car and it can last forever, I have an 80CJ7 with original paint, redid the interior and rebuilt the engine & trans an people think its new.Its got 140k on it. Same with my 67 Goat, best car I ever hade.next to my vette.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Redghost
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by astepup
But do you think chevy started realizing this in the 80's or perhaps the 70's...that the cars they were building had a unique following of people that the majority of whom would want to preserve these cars for a very long time?

it'd have just been nice if chevy had given it's flagship and "america's sports car" a little more consideration.

astepup said that

I believe that Chevy "hoped", right from the beginning, with the '53, that they had a special sports car.

I can't remember the name of the mag, but back in those days, Chevy gave a subscription to a monthly "Corvette only" mag to the orginal owner of a Vette and for as long as he owned it. What other car has this happen with?

By the mid to late 60's, those early Corvette were "starting" to become "noticed" by people wanting to restore them, and by the mid 70's, the demand for them was going up.

In 1974, I had a chance to purchase a '54 that was "all there, just in different baskets", for around 5K. Now, I could kick myself in the a__ for not doing it.

I also agree that Chevy could have put more into the Corvette, over the years. Remember, for example, when the Audi Fox went head to head with the Corvette and made Chevy hang it's head?

The Corvette has had a few bad times, but over it's life, it's had some very incredible, proud moments.

This is why we all love and drive them.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

I'd like to hear more about receiving a subscription
Old 01-22-2011, 10:28 AM
anciano
Burning Brakes

The Corvette has had a few bad times, but over it's life, it's had some very incredible, proud moments.
It's also had the very good fortune to be the only mass-produced American-made sports car after the T-Bird went the way of the dodo. For a long time (70s and 80s) the only competition was small, underpowered British sports cars like the MGB and TR4, along with out-of-my-universe priced Italian exotics. A couple of dreamers like DeLorean tried to crack the market, but were never serious competitors.

When you have a market segment all to yourself, it takes a special kind of genius to f**k it up. Fortunately Chevrolet understood that, or at least they learned from Ford's mistake with the T-Bird.

Get notified of new replies

To Longevity of Corvettes

Old 01-22-2011, 11:42 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Chevy could care less about anyone wanting to preserve them or a cult flowing what they want are people buying lots of new cars and parts, period.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:37 AM
rons85
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Common sense - if you take care of it then it'll last, regardless of how you use it.

My '85 has nearly 280k on it now, driven year round here in snow and salt country. It's still got all of it's original metal parts underneath - fuel and brake lines, fuel tank shell, etc. The Alloy parts are all 100% fine - whatever heat treat was used on the suspension parts they are simply not affected at all by road salt..

That's actually not the big story here - the Alternate transportation I own is a 1978 Chevy K-1500 short bed stepside pickup. 1978. God only knows how many miles, and in excellent condition.

The truck was bought new in Ludlow Vt, and has been here (residing in western Ma. for the last few years now) it's whole life. It's been Plowed it's whole life as well. For those of you who don't know, that means it's had a snow plow on it in the winter, and been used for that purpose. For the last 33 years - and counting.

Now, Both of these vehicles have very little left original for "wear" parts, and the truck has had it's share of replacement sheet metal.

The enemy up here is Salt. The sun is not an issue - nothing like, say, Florida or Texas. In fact the truck still has it's original dash pad and interior door panels - parts that would have lived maybe two years in the Florida sunshine. And the truck has NEVER lived in a garage - it's an outdoor animal and has been it's entire life. (This is why I don't brag about the interior of the Car - it Does get to stay in a nice garage when it's not in use. Still has all of It's original interior, except for the seat covers. Yes, even the original carpeting..)

It's all about how you care for the thing. Treat it like a refridgerator (hey, the interior lights come on when I open the door, so it must be Fine) and it'll be junk in 10 years - if not sooner.

Last edited by rons85; 01-23-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:47 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Wanta know how long a car will last?

Join me and RollaMo LT4 (Greg) on the Power Tour this June and you'll see how long a well cared for car will last.

Sure there are some frame off restored cars but there are many that are original well cared for cars as well.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 01-23-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Longevity of Corvettes