C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Kwik Lift question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 06:16 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Kwik Lift question

Looking for suggestions on how to get a car that is not running on the kwiklift. I sent an email to kwiklift several months ago, but got no answer. I was considering using a 4x4 post with an electric winch I have (harbor freight ) Turning the post sideways, in front of the ramps and trying to pull the car up the ramps. Again, im looking for suggestions especially from those with a kwiklift.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

If you have a way to attach the winch that would work. Another thing you can do is use a come-a-long. I've loaded may a car on my trailer with a cone-a-long. It's some work but it's more than doable.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:13 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Raidmagic
If you have a way to attach the winch that would work. Another thing you can do is use a come-a-long. I've loaded may a car on my trailer with a cone-a-long. It's some work but it's more than doable.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Get some of the local muscle.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 AM
larry93lt1
Drifting

Location: Gaithersburg MD A member since 2007 but then the computer crashed and then the car crash loss of memory X 2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raidmagic
That's what I've used many times to get mine on a trailer. That's about the same incline as a quicklift. Just need to block the rear wheels when you need to reposition the cable.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:07 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You will snap a 4x4 post suing a winch or a come-along. The distance between the two ramps will be too long for a 4x4 to take the strain. Maybe a 4x6 with it laying horizontally on the long side. Or two 4x4 which would effecively be a 4x8.

The post(s) will have to be secured to the KwikLift so that it will not move up or down. Long bolts or steel strap should work. Do not just let the weight of the car hold the posts against the ramps.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by kimmer
Get some of the local muscle.
And buy em a beer

After success of course
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 AM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

Get your wife or girl friend to push it up with there car then you won't have to worry about it not running anymore.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:47 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Local muscle is my advice too. Just post up in the Events and Regional section in your area. Pick a date and supply some free beer and pizza. It will be up in the air in no time.
I hang out with a bunch of Forum folks in my area and they help each other frequently. When I do my repaint this year I am getting a bunch of them to come over and help me remove the hood so I can flip it to paint the underside.
Good luck and remember that we need pics!

Last edited by corvetteronw; 01-13-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Or two 4x4 which would effecively be a 4x8.
Two 4x4 is two 4x4, not a 4x8. The strength of the 4x8
comes from the distance. That's why I beams work.

Assuming the KwikLift is on concrete, I'd drill a 1/2"
hole in the concrete, slightly tilted back toward the
KwikLift, and drop a 1/2" bolt in as a "tent stake".
Tie off the comealong or winch to the 1/2" bolt.

Chuck
Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Rohn
Pro

use a nylon tow strap. loop around posts on lift so it wont drop. stretch but not break?
Old 01-13-2011, 03:57 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Sorry to take so long to get back to everyone. I been out all day working.

But to comment on some of the responses, the measurement between the kwiklift ramps that would be spaned is 40in. What I was considering was bolting the electric winch to a 4x4, setting the 4x4 on 2 concrete blocks letting the 4x4 brace against the 2 ramps of the kwiklift.
Another alternative I was considering is loading the car on my trailer, backing the trailer up to the kwiklift, (in the up position) and then rolling it off onto the kwiklift. I believe the trailer is dovetailed enough to go under the ramps of the kwiklift, But ill have to measure everything and see.
I really hate to have several people help push it up on there. That in itself can be dangerous to the people pushing.
But thanks to everyone for their suggestions,
Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Moon86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Remove the ramps, push the vette front tires right up to the lift, block the back wheels, jack the front tires up until you can put blocks of wood under the front tires so they're level with the lift platform, push the vette on the lift until the back tires are at the front of the lift. Repeat the procedure. The long term solution is a winch bolted to the floor. This is what I did. Bought a remote controlled winch and bolted it to a plate that I bolt to anchors in the floor. Works really well.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Default KwikLift Adapter

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Looking for suggestions on how to get a car that is not running on the kwiklift. I sent an email to kwiklift several months ago, but got no answer. I was considering using a 4x4 post with an electric winch I have (harbor freight ) Turning the post sideways, in front of the ramps and trying to pull the car up the ramps. Again, im looking for suggestions especially from those with a kwiklift.
Thanks in advance for your help.
For those of you who feel like a KLUTZ (Like I did) when trying to get the Z up on an inclined ramp such as KwikLift for repairs when the Z is in non operable condition.....here is a solution

As you prolly know, the Z can be towed easily using a chain or synthetic tow rope from either the back end (attached underneath to near center of leaf spring) or front end (attached underneath to center of frame cross member). The Z cannot, however, be pushed by another vehicle (The Z can be hand pushed easily but not up inclines) from either end because of the fiberglass on both ends.

I welded a padeye at the center of two 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 45 inch long steel box sections welded side by side (1-1/2 x 3 x 45 inch steel beam). I welded two hangers (one on each end of the steel beam). I can just hang the 1-1/2 x 3 x 45 inch steel beam on the end of Kwiklift to pull from the center padeye between each ramp with a wire rope come-a-long attached to the rear or front of any vehicle.

I use a long chain the first two pulls with KwikLift yellow chocks set during resetting of the chain length (the wire rope come-a-long cannot reach from one end of the KwikLift to the other end without starting out with a chain connection).

I call this steel beam KLUTZ (KwikLift Utility Towbar for Zs)
I actually tested the beam (pulled Z up ramp) with just one 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 45 inch box section then doubled up in final design.

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-06-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

I pushed the Z by hand up to the ramps....than attached the wire rope come-a-long. I used an additional 10 ft or longer chain to start with attached to the come-a-long and the Z. The wire rope come-a-long I attached directly to the beam so it was always easy to operate.

It would be easy to pull the Z up the ramp either front or back and only takes about 10 minutes. This includes blocking the Z rear wheels (front wheels if you pull the Z up from the front), re-extending the come-a-long and pulling the Z another 5 ft each time.

Just so you understand....the Z has no power in this situation but it is easy to get the Z up to the end of the KwikLift ramps on level ground by hand pushing.

Also...when you start the pull......make sure the Z rear wheels or front wheels are touching the low end of the KwikLift ramp or you will just pull the KwikLift to the Z rather than pull the Z to the KwikLift

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-13-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:53 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

zzzzzzzz
Old 01-14-2011, 07:12 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dynomite07
For those of you who feel like a KLUTZ (Like I did) when trying to get the Z up on an inclined ramp such as KwikLift for repairs when the Z is in non operable condition.....here is a solution

As you prolly know, the Z can be towed easily using a chain or synthetic tow rope from either the back end (attached underneath to near center of leaf spring) or front end (attached underneath to center of frame cross member). The Z cannot, however, be pushed by another vehicle (The Z can be hand pushed easily but not up inclines) from either end because of the fiberglass on both ends.

I welded a padeye at the center of two 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 45 inch long steel box sections welded side by side (1-1/2 x 3 x 45 inch steel beam). I welded two hangers (one on each end of the steel beam). I can just hang the 1-1/2 x 3 x 45 inch steel beam on the end of Kwiklift to pull from the center padeye between each ramp with a wire rope come-a-long attached to the rear or front of any vehicle.

I use a long chain the first two pulls with KwikLift yellow chocks set during resetting of the chain length (the wire rope come-a-long cannot reach from one end of the KwikLift to the other end without starting out with a chain connection).

I call this steel beam KLUTZ (KwikLift Utility Towbar for Zs)
I actually tested the beam (pulled Z up ramp) with just one 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 45 inch box section then doubled up in final design.

Hey, thanks for this post and the time to post pictures with it. I think I will make up something very simular to this, but I am going to use this winch http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb...nch-92860.html instead. The reason being, I already have it, and I took it off my trailer and put a hand winch on it.
But again, thanks for the post and pictures.

Get notified of new replies

To Kwik Lift question

Old 01-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Moon86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

My bad. I didn't realize what lift you were talking about. Your winch is similar to the one I bought at HF. Works well.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Using KwikLift

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Hey, thanks for this post and the time to post pictures with it. I think I will make up something very simular to this, but I am going to use this winch http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb...nch-92860.html instead. The reason being, I already have it, and I took it off my trailer and put a hand winch on it.
But again, thanks for the post and pictures.
If you use a small steel beam to mount your winch (weld a plate on the beam with bolt holes).....you will have the Cats Meow
Very nice set up

I expect a couple or three hundred pounds is enough to pull a corvette up the ramp so your 2,000 capacity winch will definitely handle the job. Now that you mention it, a hand winch would work also with more cable to pay out than a come-A-Long with a little less capacity. You should (design wise) have a beam rated to your winch but if you keep an eye on it as you winch (just in case the corvette decides to not move) you should be OK.

Your line of pull has to be below the top edge of the rear of KwikLift for the beam hanger concept to work

Just remember to move the corvette rear or front wheels up to the ramp so they touch the ramp or you will pull the ramp to the corvette

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-06-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:54 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynomite07
If you use a small steel beam to mount your winch (weld a plate on the beam with bolt holes).....you will have the Cats Meow
Very nice set up

I expect a couple or three hundred pounds is enough to pull a corvette up the ramp so your 2,000 capacity winch will definitely handle the job. Now that you mention it, a hand winch would work also with more cable to pay out than a come-A-Long with a little less capacity. You should (design wise) have a beam rated to your winch but if you keep an eye on it as you winch (just in case the corvette decides to not move) you should be OK.

Your line of pull has to be below the top edge of the rear of KwikLift for the beam hanger concept to work

Just remember to move the corvette rear or front wheels up to the ramp so they touch the ramp or you will pull the ramp to the corvette

Nice work on that beam!!

Quick Reply: Kwik Lift question