Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,789 Likes on 953 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default I'm Installing a Hood Scoop On My Car [PICS]

Here's the scoop! (sorry couldn't resist) I bought this scoop over a year and a half ago and am just now getting around to putting it on. I will update as I go but hope to have it done within a week or so.

I started today by trimming the scoop to closer match the Corvette hood. I didnt get any pictures of the scoop before, but I had to trim the bottom up and cut the sides a little. Since the hood is curved and the scoop is flat I had to cut slits in the sides to allow the scoop to bend.

Next I had to grind down the area under the scoop so I could bond it to the hood without there being a large step up. If I just placed the hood on top there would be too much of a noticeable transition.

Next came the hole. The race engine I am building will need more clearance (hence the scoop) and I want to be able to take advantage of the cowl induction so I cut out a section under the scoop. I may take out more later once the scoop is held on better.

Next came the bonding. I used a 3M rigid parts repair kit that is a two part epoxy made for bonding/repairing SMC, Fiberglass, and other plastics. This is the same stuff I used when I removed my headlights and covered them with sheet fiberglass. I used some sheet metal screws to hold the scoop in place while the epoxy set. They will come out and the holes will be filled.

You can see how almost flush the scoop sits. Now I just have very little work to make a smooth transition.

This is where I left for the day.

More to come! Tomorrow I am going to try to glass the back of the scoop to the hood instead of bond it. There isnt much surface to bond to.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 PM
94Ad Blue
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're all watching... please keep us updated!! Lookin' good so far!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 PM
wnafly
Pro

Looking good so far.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Wow nice work Kubs.

How did it feel to start hacking the hood?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:03 AM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks awesome! I am going to teach myself how to fiberglass very soon! I went to home depot but they had the pre packaged fiberglass and only one type of resin. It was over priced and they didnt even have gelcoat or mold release! Im going to try lowes this weekend...

I cannot wait to see more pics! Getting a scoop to look good on a C4 is hard but it looks like you are pulling it off!!! Awesome work!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:09 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I spy Tigger

J/K!!

Like to see the finished product, scoops look SO much better when they are molded in like that rather than having that "Glued it on, look" appearance to it. Keep up the good work. Love to see how you do your cold air system, too. Fabbed aluminum?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 AM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Keep up the good work. It's always nice to see people taking an interest in C4s. I put the vador hood scoop on an 84 I had in 2004.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:27 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,519 Likes on 3,601 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Looks good, can't wait for completion, keeps us updated!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 AM
drmrman
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

You tooo! HAHA! Awesome dood! Cant wait to see it!

*subscribe*
Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 249 Likes on 115 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Looks good, but more importantly it will be functional and has a purpose to serve. It should let that new engine breathe a whole lot better.

Looking forward to more pics.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dogfish246
That looks awesome! I am going to teach myself how to fiberglass very soon! I went to home depot but they had the pre packaged fiberglass and only one type of resin. It was over priced and they didnt even have gelcoat or mold release! Im going to try lowes this weekend...

I cannot wait to see more pics! Getting a scoop to look good on a C4 is hard but it looks like you are pulling it off!!! Awesome work!
Check out an auto body paint store.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pologreen1
How did it feel to start hacking the hood?
It felt pretty good! I cant wait to cut the rest of the under hood structure out.

Originally Posted by dogfish246

Thanks! You would be better off going to an auto body store. Places like Home Depot or Lowes or even Autozone, only have generic stuff that doesnt work very good.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I spy Tigger
Yeah that was an old blanket lying around I used to keep stuff out of the engine bay.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Like to see the finished product, scoops look SO much better when they are molded in like that rather than having that "Glued it on, look" appearance to it. Keep up the good work. Love to see how you do your cold air system, too. Fabbed aluminum?
Thanks! I hope it comes out as nice as I plan also! Yes the intake will be fabbed aluminum. Im using a single plane EFI and an elbow aiming backwards and an LS1 throttle body aimed at the incoming air from the cowl.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kubs hath no grinder fear! I will be into the same project soon. I have always liked pulling engine air from the high pressure area at the base of the windshield. Would it be beneficial to open the rear of the first plane on the scoop to vent air from the engine compartment, It looks like this may be an adequate low pressure area. The idea would be to pick up a little front down force and improve radiator flow as well as let heat out when stopped. I am planing on louvers over the rear half of the front tires but your L88 scoop has me thinking. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Crepitus; 01-06-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:53 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll only say I'm interested in seeing the final pics. I was expecting well... a scoop. The l88 hood fit well on the c3's because it was pointed and followed the whole front end's lines. I don't think it does on a c4 so I'll be watching see if you can prove me wrong! Prep work looks great though.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm......... looks familiar!

Looks like you're doing a nice job!

Last edited by Keystring; 01-06-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:30 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good! I have wanted to mold mine into the hood rather than bolted down since I got it but I really don't have the time to do it or the resources to paint it myself at the moment (and I don't feel like paying $$$ to have it painted).

Cool project.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm Installing a Hood Scoop On My Car [PICS]

Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Roocars
Instructor

Nice job

I just finished one on my car as well, but went with the bolt on method.
I did not want to blend it into the hood until I can have the hole car painted. The heat you let out is nuts, and the car will run cooler as well,
just from the experience I have had with my car. Enjoy your car and don't let the purist's get to you.

Take care
Brian
Old 01-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Crepitus
Kubs hath no grinder fear! I will be into the same project soon. I have always liked pulling engine air from the high pressure area at the base of the windshield. Would it be beneficial to open the rear of the first plane on the scoop to vent air from the engine compartment, It looks like this may be an adequate low pressure area. The idea would be to pick up a little front down force and improve radiator flow as well as let heat out when stopped. I am planing on louvers over the rear half of the front tires but your L88 scoop has me thinking. Thanks for sharing!
I still havnt decided if I am going to open those vents up or not. Where it is on the hood is actually in FRONT of the radiator and would provide no benefit to for the air going through the radiator. It wont do any sort of downforce because I dont have the rest of the setup for something like that.

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
Looks good! I have wanted to mold mine into the hood rather than bolted down since I got it but I really don't have the time to do it or the resources to paint it myself at the moment (and I don't feel like paying $$$ to have it painted).

Cool project.
Yeah, it is much easier to have a bolt on in your case. Having someone else paint something can get kinda pricey. Fortunately I will be doing my own painting as well.

Originally Posted by Roocars
Nice job

I just finished one on my car as well, but went with the bolt on method.
I did not want to blend it into the hood until I can have the hole car painted. The heat you let out is nuts, and the car will run cooler as well,
just from the experience I have had with my car. Enjoy your car and don't let the purist's get to you.

Take care
Brian
You could just paint the hood. It would not require any blending or anything fancy. I am going with a different color so I am painting the whole thing when Im done.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

UPDATES

Well I didnt have anything fancy to hold the back of the scoop down while I glassed it, but duct tape seemed to serve that purpose.

I didnt get progress pics of the glass work cause I had to work kinda quick, but here it is all done.

While the glass was drying I started grinding a little valley where the edge of the scoop was and the hood, so I could cover it with a SMC type duraglass. It is supposed to be really strong. I only got 1 application done then I ran out of time. I will let everything dry then do some sanding tomorrow.

The view from the inside got me pretty excited!

Quick Reply: I'm Installing a Hood Scoop On My Car [PICS]