C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Has anyone ever tried these?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:49 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Has anyone ever tried these?

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried these cheap ebay headlights?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_4797wt_1138

Is it worth it? Do they project the light properly and is it a decent product?

I am looking to upgrade to HIDs in the future and need a housing that accepts the HIDs and I really like projectors!

Any input? Or suggestions? I saw that a lot of you guys are using the Hella headlights and they are really nice, but at $45 a bulb, thats way too expensive for me...

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are great. IMO 400% better night time view compared to a normal sealed beam headlight. But their are somethings to look out for.
Look for real glass lens sets, not plastic. The plastic ones will turn yellow very quickly.

Also don't get the one's with the gay lights in them. Some have a little blue bulb called a "city light" and other have "helo" rings. Not only are they ricer looking, but they also illegal.

I got mine from autozone for $44 with H4 bulbs. Ive had them approx 18 months and they still look and work great. I forget the brand, but they are the only glass ones that accept the H4 projector style bulbs.

Last edited by lushdrunk; 12-30-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:20 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lushdrunk
They are great. IMO 400% better night time view compared to a normal sealed beam headlight. But their are somethings to look out for.
Look for real glass lens sets, not plastic. The plastic ones will turn yellow very quickly.

Also don't get the one's with the gay lights in them. Some have a little blue bulb called a "city light" and other have "helo" rings. Not only are they ricer looking, but they also illegal.

I got mine from autozone for $44 with H4 bulbs. Ive had them approx 18 months and they still look and work great. I forget the brand, but they are the only glass ones that accept the H4 projector style bulbs.

So your headlights didnt have the projector lens in them? Im tempted to try these but the glass lens is getting me nervous because the weight... I emailed them and asked how much it weighs and he said the shipping weight is 5lbs so each light is about 2.5lbs. My lights now are 1.9lbs each...
Thanks for the response!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, mine are projector headlights. They just don't have the blue light bulb like the ones in the link.

The little blue bulb they call a "city light" does nothing except make your lights look blue with the parking light on and they will get you a ticket if you have them hooked up.

They weight less then normal sealed beam headlights, but they weight about twice what the plastic ones weigh.

This is the style I have. The first set I got was just like the one's in your link. They turned yellow in about 30 days and I had major issues with watter getting in the little blue light hole and causing the bulbs to blow.

Last edited by lushdrunk; 12-30-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:14 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts

tried to search the auto zone site for the headlamp assemblies with poor results 1 of 87 pages, any additional help would be great
Old 12-31-2010, 11:45 AM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do these just replace the OEM lights or is special wiring required?
Old 12-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Pop Evans
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Old 12-31-2010, 12:15 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts

Did another search and found these, not sure of the size 7 7/8 x 5 5/8, vette is in storage so I can't measure.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=415306_0_0_

Any wiring write ups for HID's?
Old 12-31-2010, 04:52 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Are those the annoying BRIGHT BLUE headlights? If so, they may be nice and bright from the drivers seat, but they are horrible to oncoming traffic. Many get those type installed just to say "hey, look at me!". I hope those things get outlawed soon.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:18 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you want good lighting, expect to pay for good lighting. The fleabay stuff in the link is not good lighting. The blue tint on the bulb looks like the Sylvania "Cool Blues" lights and they are noting more than a higher wattage halogen bulb with blue tint on the bulb. IMHO, it looks like a waste of money.

You can get some good HID lights for a few hundred bucks or get the Hella Euro conversion lamp housing and use a good quality H4 Xenon bulb that has a color temperature of around 5000 degrees Kelvin.

Go higher than that and the light color goes to blue and then purple. Go lower that 4000 degrees and the light becomes a yellowish hue.

C4 headlamps are a 6054 size.

As long as the headlamp motors and gears are in good shape, glass lenses won't be a problem. The OEM wiring will handle up to a 100W bulb.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:47 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by yaknow
tried to search the auto zone site for the headlamp assemblies with poor results 1 of 87 pages, any additional help would be great
Originally Posted by yaknow
Did another search and found these, not sure of the size 7 7/8 x 5 5/8, vette is in storage so I can't measure.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=415306_0_0_

Any wiring write ups for HID's?
You just hook them up to the stock wiring... I was trying to look also but these main chains have horrible websites that are hard to use. I think I will just go out tomorrow and take a ride to the place!

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Are those the annoying BRIGHT BLUE headlights? If so, they may be nice and bright from the drivers seat, but they are horrible to oncoming traffic. Many get those type installed just to say "hey, look at me!". I hope those things get outlawed soon.
HID's are not necessarily blue. It depends on the temperature rating and 8k and above are blue and when you get to 12-15k its purple. I want the 6k which is pure white.
The problem isnt the bulbs, its that people put the HID's in a non projector headlight. Projectors are cut specially so the light is diffused onto the road where you need it.

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
If you want good lighting, expect to pay for good lighting. The fleabay stuff in the link is not good lighting. The blue tint on the bulb looks like the Sylvania "Cool Blues" lights and they are noting more than a higher wattage halogen bulb with blue tint on the bulb. IMHO, it looks like a waste of money.

You can get some good HID lights for a few hundred bucks or get the Hella Euro conversion lamp housing and use a good quality H4 Xenon bulb that has a color temperature of around 5000 degrees Kelvin.

Go higher than that and the light color goes to blue and then purple. Go lower that 4000 degrees and the light becomes a yellowish hue.

C4 headlamps are a 6054 size.

As long as the headlamp motors and gears are in good shape, glass lenses won't be a problem. The OEM wiring will handle up to a 100W bulb.
Thanks for the info. I was nervous about the glass headlights but my motors and gears are pretty good I think!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:30 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Before you get too involved with the major chain stores, check out these guys. you can talk to the owner and he does what he says he will do...no BS. I upgraded from the sealed candles to Hella. Tell him the guy from NC sent ya.

later, tiny

http://www.rallylights.com/default.aspx
Old 01-01-2011, 10:31 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1800Wing
Before you get too involved with the major chain stores, check out these guys. you can talk to the owner and he does what he says he will do...no BS. I upgraded from the sealed candles to Hella. Tell him the guy from NC sent ya.

later, tiny

http://www.rallylights.com/default.aspx
Thanks! Ill give them a call!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No, mine are projector headlights.
None of those appear to be projector beams. They are simply reflectors. That eBay one just had a circle in the housing.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I wanted to save money too so I went with the cheap ebay conversions. They came with the blue tinted bubs which were worthless, I switched to Sylvania's, (more money) then finally got tired of not being able to see & bought my Hella's. I had almost as much money wrapped up in mistakes as what the Hella's cost. JMO but get the good ones, Hella or whatever, the first time & save aggravation and maybe a little $$$
Old 01-02-2011, 12:25 PM
High Altitude Vette
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

finally got tired of not being able to see & bought my Hella's.
Can you give a specific link to the ones you got? When you go to their Hella section there is +10 pages
http://www.rallylights.com/SearchRes...?CategoryID=37
Thanks for the info
Gary
Old 01-02-2011, 01:30 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by High Altitude Vette
Can you give a specific link to the ones you got? When you go to their Hella section there is +10 pages
Thanks for the info
Gary
That would be helpful! I was looking through the pages and tried searching but I couldnt find the correct light...

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone ever tried these?

Old 01-02-2011, 01:50 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by High Altitude Vette
Thanks for the info
Gary
This is the Hella conversion lamp for C4 Corvettes. This is the 6054 style lamp housing. They use an H4 bulb and are plug and play. The Sylvania SilverStar H4 would be a good bulb choice.

Summit Racing has them as well as Jeg's.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Samhain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the lights from ebay with the projector mounted in it, the projector is useless. The only way these would work as true projectors is if it was completely sealed, which is not the case. The projector lens is just mounted to the light with 2 screws and is open around the top bottom and sides. Putting an HID bulb in it is terrible, The light gets scattered extremely bad. I currently am using 900 series halogen bulbs instead and it works much better.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:03 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

This is good stuff guys! Thanks a lot! I am not going to get the ebay headlights now and I will call tomorrow for the housing that you recommended!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever tried these?