Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Targa Top flew off

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Amethyst643
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's exactly what mine looks like. The lady that had my car before me forgot to bolt it down and drove off. It flew off too. How do you forget to bolt it back down??
Old 12-25-2010, 05:23 PM
GS 163
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kclark85
I unbolted the top then I drove away and the top flew off at 30 MPH
Not trying to add insult to injury, but when you unbolted the top and drove off, did you think that nothing was going to happen?
Old 12-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like mine , Previous owner did it . Small crack in the corner of mine . Most of the scratches buffed out .
Old 12-25-2010, 08:52 PM
kclark85
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS 163
Not trying to add insult to injury, but when you unbolted the top and drove off, did you think that nothing was going to happen?
I don't think you guys understand. I'm single with no kids, and she is single with no kids. I'm 43 and she is 29.

I don't live with her yet, she is a nurse and she has to work all weekend, I'm over my brother's house enjoying christmas with my family.

I unbolted the top and drove away, I wasn't thinking period. I'm thankful nobody got hurt by the flying top.

I would post pictures of her but trust me she is hot, or a least she is to me, and I will see her on Monday and I will show her what I did and hopefully she will think its funny, she has a great sense of humor.

My brother and I are going to paint the top next weekend, we took an auto body course it took us about a year to paint the whole car with sanding and painting and wet sanding. I will post pics of the whole process.

Thank you for the support
Old 12-25-2010, 09:14 PM
TGReaper
Racer

Originally Posted by overdrawn
If I hit the storage compartment lid button by accident on a vert while driving, will it pop up, or worse fly off?
No, mine grounded out and fired the solenoids the cover did not come up.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If she is the one for you then keeping things from her is absolutely NOT the way to go. Everyone makes mistakes .....that is what life is about. If things are going to work out you don't want to have to worry about what you can tell her and what you cannot.

Married for 35 years ......wife (a nurse) likes motorcycles and likes the vette ......she just hates the way I drive
Old 12-26-2010, 02:20 AM
SoCaliVette
Instructor

you are not alone ))))

At least you still have something left from your roof.

Here is mine
Old 12-26-2010, 12:15 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its my Vette, I also have my Toyota Solara, I think this girl is the "one" and I still have to convince her I am the "one" for her. So I don't want her to think I do foolish expense things like this often.
Relax! She also knows you're a guy! It's what we do.....
Old 12-26-2010, 12:22 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
I have only had my top off a few times, and one of the reasons is it seems to take several sequences of tightening the front bolts before they stay tight. It seems after replacing the top and cranking them down, they seem to loosen up maybe three times before finally settling down for good.

I finally put some RTV silicone sealer on the bolt threads. Once cured, it won't let the threads back out but since it's flexible, it's no sweat to overide the grip and unbolt them for top removal. A lesson I learned about dash screws and ignition screws that habitually come loose!
Old 12-26-2010, 12:28 PM
torchred89
Melting Slicks

I drove my Vette to work one morning with the top off and it was going to be in 90s that day. So I took the top and just set it on top to keep the sun off the seats. I forgot all about it and drove about a mile at 25 miles an hour and just as I was going to get on it to enter highway I saw it wiggle. I will never do that again
Old 12-26-2010, 02:51 PM
larry93lt1
Drifting

Location: Gaithersburg MD A member since 2007 but then the computer crashed and then the car crash loss of memory X 2

Its my Vette, I also have my Toyota Solara, I think this girl is the "one" and I still have to convince her I am the "one" for her. So I don't want her to think I do foolish expense things like this often.
Just tell her you were thinking of her and forgot to tighten the top. That should help get you a few points.

Don't forget the pics, you know the rules here.

Don't let her slip away, if you think she's the "one" tell her, it may change your perspective on life and things in general.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 AM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yep yours looks just like mine. Just be glad it didnt blow into the car behind you.

I found one on CL for $350 in better shape than mine was before it blew off.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:38 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Oh no my friend, just tell her the truth. That you were thinking of her, and how much you wanted to see her thus lost track of whether the top was on or not. You will be seen as romantic and she will melt in your arms. Trust me on this one.

Had this happen to my t-top on the 98 Camaro. Doing let's just say a little north of 70 on the interstate. I didn't have it locked down and hit the bottom of a valley. The thing blew off like you'd see in a James Bond movie and must've flown 50ft in the air. Came spinning to the ground on the opposite shoulder and shattered. I am so grateful that it didn't hit another car. Never made that mistake again.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 01-07-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:24 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Just tell her she needs to pick up another shift to buy you a new top. If she refuses, she ain't the one.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:16 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by overdrawn
If I hit the storage compartment lid button by accident on a vert while driving, will it pop up, or worse fly off?
With my 6 speed 'vert if the car is running the parking brake must be engaged to pop the lid.

I am a member of the flying top club. About 10 years ago I had a coupe I worked on throughout the winter. I was constantly working on the interior so, I just set the roof on the car when I was done for the day.

Well, the first nice day I decided to run the car around the block. Completely spaced that the top was not bolted on and got to about 30 as you said and off it went. Mine looked a lot more like SoCaliVette's top by the time it was over. Neighbor came running out as it sounded like a shotgun fired off when it hit the ground. Must have hit the ground near perfectly flat.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:30 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

How has it taken so long for somebody to say...

Pics of Italian girl or it's

Old 01-07-2011, 04:32 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

...and to the original topic. Check out the 2:56 mark of this video. :o

Get notified of new replies

To Targa Top flew off

Old 01-07-2011, 05:01 PM
NebCorvette94
Instructor

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
...and to the original topic. Check out the 2:56 mark of this video. :o

Thats funny loved it, must be hard on the bearings flying around those turns.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:10 PM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-...mber-pics.html

300.00 to repaint. covered by insurance.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by NebCorvette94
Thats funny loved it, must be hard on the bearings flying around those turns.
Bearings were one of the first headaches I dealt with. I'm using F-body SKF front bearings now, put some NOS on the rear and they are holding up like a champ.

...and I almost **** my pants when that roof popped. Thankfully it was only 1 bolt that vibrated loose and the roof stayed on with no damage. There is Loctite on them now since I have no need to ever take the roof off of the track car.

This picture was taken about half a lap before it popped.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 01-07-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Targa Top flew off