Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Wt@!*- '87 cutting off!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:30 AM
TheKid!!
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same cutting off problem!

I . ( My wits end. New fuel pump, new computer, pressure and injectors checked by the vette doctors - ok. I asked them about the ignition
module and they (if I recall correctly) it doesn't use one the computer takes care of that. I Am Stuck AGAIN
And ready to give up!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

what happened Kid ? IT DOES USE A IGNITION MODULE
it's a 87 !
Old 05-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Calderone
what happened Kid ? IT DOES USE A IGNITION MODULE
it's a 87 !
What he said. I would do one of two things, try a known good ICM, or buy a new one. I don't believe in throwing parts at a problem but that may be the easy way out. Do you, by chance, have an aftermarket chip in there do you?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:11 PM
TheKid!!
Advanced

Default 87 cutting of!!

Originally Posted by Muffin
What he said. I would do one of two things, try a known good ICM, or buy a new one. I don't believe in throwing parts at a problem but that may be the easy way out. Do you, by chance, have an aftermarket chip in there do you?
The Vette Doctor made it a point to mention he changed the computer not the chip. When I checked it there was indeed ab blue remanu sticker on the case where the logic board and chip module are housed. The chip was baby blue as I recall, looked stock.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If the chip is stock I would doubt it would fail. Guess it could happen. I, like others would take a hard look at the ICM.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:09 PM
TheKid!!
Advanced

I will replace it ASAP. Thats within the dist-cap itself, right? I appreciate all of your help because you guys are REALLY knowledgable but if this doesn't work - where else should I look? 1 more thing, usually if it sits for a really long time it will start again - why is that?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:03 PM
TheKid!!
Advanced

Default Ok now its reall fixed!!!

I just wanted to give this update on my engine cut-out and oil pressure problems. I spent so much money replacing the fuel pump and sender, the computer and so much down time it is really ridiculous! Turns out the Doctor was wrong and the best advice came from you guys in the group. you are the best. Especially C4 Cowboy he called it right out of the box! At the end of the day the major reason my car was not running correctly is a relay. In my 1987 vette this relay is on the driver side of the firewall between the head ad the Master cylinder. I think the part number is 14078915. Is this the Fuel Pump Relay? Any way I bypassed this with a fuse and replaced the oil sending and sensor behind the distributor as well as the ICM and changed the oil from 5W30 to 10W30. The result is continuos flow and operation of my motor with no stall outs. SO MUCH FOR THE DOCTOR!!! a relay! a 10 dollar PART!!! Thanks for all of your comments.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

wow , nice ending , congrats !!! WTH is going on with the 87 relays on this past weeks !!!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:50 PM
TheKid!!
Advanced

Thanks I was getting ready to replace the bearings but I decided to try all the suggestions from this forum - boy am I lad I did that. The big money I spent before were for cures which were not suggested by the group, sooo yeah - these groups are some of the most useful things on the web. How did we ever get along with out them? Anyway now I can get back to my regular Corvette expenses. Next Edelbrock shocks for the rear!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:29 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Calderone
WTH is going on with the 87 relays on this past weeks !!!
Age & corrosion, I'm guessing. My '87 has had a couple of issues related to things not making contact that should'a and vice-versa. Sometimes just taking things out and putting them back in cleans up the contact and gets things going again. Probably won't work with relays, though a sharp rap against a workbench might shake things loose.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:07 AM
afanelli08361
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKid!!
Last week my 87: which has been sitting for over 6 yrs got down to the reserve fuel in the gas tank; at which point it promptly died on the highway and would not restart. I HAD TO HAVE IT TOWED to my home. Once there I filled it with super - gas and it seemed to be OK.
The next day while going to work (after driving for about 20 - 30 mins) it died again. Now I added dry gas and fuel injector cleaned as well. While driving it died again. I had the fuel pump and 2 filters changed -but the still does the same thing after driving for about 30 mins. It will die, crank - strong - but not start and run. I have to let it sit for about 2 hours at least, before it will start again. Any idea?!!!
Wow sounds like my problem.. drove me nuts.. I have a 94 and it was a distibutor.. When it was cold it ran perfect then after it heated up all the problems started.. It runs awesome now.. exspensive.. but awesome. I added a water pump and new plugs and wires.. I changed the fuel filter tried all different gas.. it was all the wrong answer

Anthony

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wt@!*- '87 cutting off!