C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

door panel carpeting from ecklers. PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 08:20 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default door panel carpeting from ecklers. PLEASE READ

I ordered some saddle door apnel carpeting for my vette. I specifically asked on the phone if the speaker grates were already cut out and they said yes. Well to make a long story short this 60 piece of crap shows up at my door yeaterday. The carpeting is so thin i hesitate to even put it on. It is not trimmed at all for the speakers. And what is all this excess vinyl crap along the bottom edge. My stock carpeting is think and has none of this vinyl. Anyone know anything about this. I am furious. Also any tips on how to install this garbage where it will look decent.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-05-2002, 09:13 AM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: door panel carpeting from ecklers. PLEASE READ (robertpel9)

Return it (Ecklers takes things back readily, as if they are quite used to it).

I got my whole carpet set from http://www.1aauto.com, which resells ACC carpets. Most places resell ACC carpet. But this place specifically sold ACC's 'Custom Comfort' carpets, which are even thicker than stock. I don't know if you get this Custom Comfort material now when you order carpets from other places like TLD (www.tld-corvette.com, which is a cheaper place to get many of the same parts Ecklers sells). So return them to Ecklers, and call TLD and see if they sell these denser ACC carpets. Or try 1AAuto - I know they do. For any carpet, ask for the Mass backing - that adds extra soundproofing.

And no, they don't come with the speaker hole cutouts, since not all cars had the door speakers. In fact, the new door panels I bought (from TLD) did not have the speaker holes. But if you buy rear carpeting, the rear side pieces, at least from 1aauto, do come with cutouts for the rear speakers and holes, and they were very accurately placed.

[Modified by gh86E, 8:16 AM 4/5/2002]
Old 04-05-2002, 09:37 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Re: door panel carpeting from ecklers. PLEASE READ (gh86E)

I would have to agree with " GH86E " I have installed many sets of ACC carpet in C3's and C4's ..
Old 04-05-2002, 10:38 AM
Mark Leiter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: door panel carpeting from ecklers. PLEASE READ (WEGONE)

I also just returned carpet I purchased. This time MAD. I found that the general quality of the carpet no-where's close to what was in there. I haven't deceided what im going to do now yet. I was thinking about going to a custom ulpolstrey shop and having new carpet custom installed.
Old 04-05-2002, 10:40 AM
valu8or
Advanced

I am getting new Saddle carpet for my 84 in a week or two. I got new door panels whcih already had the carpet installed si I wont be needing the door panel carpets. Let me know if you want them. I will selll to you for whatever you paid for yours.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:27 AM
Hutch
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with Gregg. Call Eckler's and ask for a return authorization. Just tell them the items you received were not of the quality you expected and you should have no problem. They've always been very good to me whenever I needed to return things, even when it wasn't their fault.

And maybe the sales rep screwed up, but most door panel carpet sets I've seen don't have holes precut for speakers. Maybe these are supposed to, I dunno. I am surprised about the quality, though, as I thought most of their stuff DID come from ACC. Maybe that piece comes from another supplier. They'll want to know about it at any rate.

Don't sit there and stew about it. Call 'em back. Given the chance, they'll usually do whatever they can to keep you happy. Well, within reason, of course. :D:D:D
Old 04-11-2002, 06:27 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: door panel carpeting from ecklers. PLEASE READ (Hutch)

its not that bad. yoy dont want the speaker hole cut until you get the carpet on so you dont have to line it up. all it takes is a razor blade. the extra vinal is to grip. you will need a stapler, a razor blade and some 3m weather strip adheasive. one tube will do. black or yellow. first remove the door panel. lay it flat. remove the old carpet, this will take a while because the carpet will tear to pieces. remove the old excess glue with a paint scraper and pull out the old staples. now its ready to install the new carpet. put the adheasive on the door pannel, use about the same amount you scraped off. glue the bottom edge good. the vinyl stuff should be inside out and on top of your carpet. line the bottom edge up the best you can. staple the top edge in place in the same place the old ones were stapled. if you dont have a stapler then let it dry how it is with the vinyl inside out and the carpet lined up. after it drys( over night is best) flip the door panel over and put a seam of glue on the bottom edge of the door panel. roll the vinyl over to the back. pull it tight and staple the edges about a half inch at the time. by now you know what the extra vinyl is for. once the glue dries for an hour or so take your razor blade and trim the extra vinyl off the back about a half an inch from the edge. by now you also realize why the speaker hole was not cut out...no mess on the front and no alignment problem. take the razor blade from the back and cut out the speaker hole. now put the pannel back on. i would take a small screw driver or a punch and punch out the screw holes and start all the screws in the carpet before you try to install it. this will save time trying to feel where they go..this job can be done in a day if you start early. most of the time is waiting for the glue to dry.

[Modified by stillthere, 10:31 PM 4/11/2002]
Old 04-11-2002, 06:32 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same stuff i got from TLD for $40
it's junk, but it's better than what was there!
Old 04-11-2002, 06:49 PM
L98 punk
Advanced

I just recently purchased the door panel carpeting for my '89. If I remember correctly, I ordered it from Corvettes America. The carpeting was ACC brand and had the heavy mass backing on it (far exceeded what was on from GM). Mine also did not have the speaker holes cut out, but that is the way I wanted it. I wanted to cut the speaker holes myself to insure perfect alignment. After cutting the holes I took the carpet and the door panels to an auto upholstery shop her in Houston (Louetta Road Auto upholstery). I had these guys put the carpet on because I wanted a better than factory installation and I believed these guys could do it, and they did.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:51 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

i bought new door panals from them & the speaker holes were not cut out of the rug or door panel! i called & asked why ....they said you have to do it yourself! i said im suppose to cut my new door panels? wtf! :cuss :cuss
Old 04-11-2002, 07:55 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: door panel carpeting from ecklers. PLEASE READ (yoslambo1@cs.com)

i bought new door panals from them & the speaker holes were not cut out of the rug or door panel! i called & asked why ....they said you have to do it yourself! i said im suppose to cut my new door panels? wtf! :cuss :cuss
Makes sense to me
Not all vettes have holes in the door panels
it would cost them more to make a "bose" version and a "non bose" version.
Hence, it would cost YOU more for the door panel.

I don't see the problem.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:00 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: door panel carpeting from ecklers. PLEASE READ (Kale)

Makes sense to me

I don't see the problem.
[/QUOTE] so after spending like $500.00 im gonna cut the door panel. :rolleyes: what if i messed up...then what? i just never installed the speaker covers and left the door panels alone(you could still hear the speakers through the door panels). they look better without the speakers plus i like the sound of my car better than loud mucic! :yesnod: :D
Old 04-12-2002, 10:49 AM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Default Re: door panel carpeting from ecklers. PLEASE READ (Kale)

Makes sense to me
95% of them do have the BOSE stereo.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:18 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Default Re: door panel carpeting from ecklers. PLEASE READ (dgoodhue)

whats the big deal? you have a template...the speaker hole. if you can cut your finger with a razor blade then you have the tallent to do this.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:38 PM
jparr
Drifting

CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

HEY go to corvetteamerica.com i bought mine there 55 bucks a nice piece also no door speaker holes u make you own my 2 cents jay
Old 04-12-2002, 03:45 PM
VetteBabe1
Safety Car

Default Re: door panel carpeting from ecklers. PLEASE READ (jparr)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=274440

You might want to send the carpet back and send this dude the money instead? Just looking out for other members, that's all.
Old 04-12-2002, 04:29 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Default Re: door panel carpeting from ecklers. PLEASE READ (VetteBabe1)

the ones you have are just as good as the next guys. they all install the same and they are all a thin piece of carpet, they dont get that much wear.

Get notified of new replies

To door panel carpeting from ecklers. PLEASE READ

Old 04-12-2002, 04:30 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Vettebabe 1,
thanks for the heads up, i didn't realize Bill did not get the last email i sent him. I added mucho detail to that thread and hopefully him and i can resolve that matter ASAP. I am gonna send him an extra 10% for his inconvenience. That transaction has been doomed. I couldn't use paypal without me faxing them some info i wasn't willing to give them after a large purchase. A check i sent him from my office was never delivered, then i got the flu and a sinus infection at the same time and was bed / computer ridden. Anyway i hope he reads the thread again and shoots me his address os i can shoot him some cash. On a side note i can't believe how rude people were in their responces without even giving me a chance to explain. Makes me reconsider my involvement here. Most people seem very nice though. I am glad you wrote on this thread so could be made aware of the situation and be more proactive. Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-12-2002, 04:32 PM
VetteBabe1
Safety Car

I am glad it was just a misunderstanding, although I figured it was. Sometimes that happens. Was not trying to be rude, and glad you seem to have it worked out. :cheers:
Old 04-12-2002, 04:38 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Well i hope it works out anyway. I need his address and it will be all set. I send him damn certified mail. I am furious that this got so far out of hand. I was legitimately very sick and to see the responces i got about visiting my house or sending webmasters email i am speechless. I was like a bunch of lemmings following each other into berating me without even hearing from me. Rediuculous and uncalled for. I understand the problem but the way others chimed in was inappropriate.

Quick Reply: door panel carpeting from ecklers. PLEASE READ