Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

rebuilding a C4 or moving on

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:50 AM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, restoring a car would be a great way to spend retirement. If you don't know how to work on cars then now is a perfect chance to learn. You can save $1000's and have a fun, rewarding hobby.
Fun? FUN? You have to be kidding! If I never crawl under the Vette again or see another wooden boat (Calkins Bartender) or vintage Yamaha motorcycle (1975 RD350) that needs restoring I'll be the happiest retiree in the world.

But my brother is an even UNhappier retiree than me: he's restoring an AIRPLANE from the frame up.

During every project my poor wife has had to watch my mood swing from chipper and enthusiastic on day one to kind of surly by day five to completely depressed by the end of the first month. But at least the neighborhood kids are learning colorful new phrases they can share with their friends at school.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:09 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anciano
Fun? FUN? You have to be kidding! If I never crawl under the Vette again or see another wooden boat (Calkins Bartender) or vintage Yamaha motorcycle (1975 RD350) that needs restoring I'll be the happiest retiree in the world.

But my brother is an even UNhappier retiree than me: he's restoring an AIRPLANE from the frame up.

During every project my poor wife has had to watch my mood swing from chipper and enthusiastic on day one to kind of surly by day five to completely depressed by the end of the first month. But at least the neighborhood kids are learning colorful new phrases they can share with their friends at school.

To each their own. I guess it all depends on your skill level and the amount of tools you own. (Nothing is worse then needing a tool and not having it.)
But for me, I love working on my own cars. I find no greater thrill then restoring something I love. Ive yet to find any woman or any drug that can compare to the high you get from a flawless paint job, Or that moment when a new engine you built and installed fires for the first time..... IMO, it's the perfect drug.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Shaf1970
Instructor

Well if you don't want to turn wrench, purchase the newest Corvette you can afford. Maybe consider and test drive a lower mileage later C4 (95-96). The C5 is different, much more refined you may or may not like how it feels. And with the economy going down the toilet don't over look C6's as prices on those are dropping fast. I'd sooner have one of them than a C5.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 PM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive yet to find any woman or any drug that can compare to the high you get from a flawless paint job, Or that moment when a new engine you built and installed fires for the first time..... IMO, it's the perfect drug.
I only do my own work because I'm cheap as hell. The sensation I get when the hull repair holds or the old outboard motor or motorcycle starts up is predominately RELIEF....whew! Another job not f$%^&d up!

Especially when replacing cams in an interference engine I almost want to take a stiff drink before turning it over. In years of doing mechanical work I've never FUBARed anything, but that has not instilled much confidence, probably because left-handers go through life not quite sure of whether their work is bass-ackwards or not.

I don't mind so much working with fiberglass, though. You can't really make an irreversible mistake.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:36 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anciano
I only do my own work because I'm cheap as hell. The sensation I get when the hull repair holds or the old outboard motor or motorcycle starts up is predominately RELIEF....whew! Another job not f$%^&d up
That is the way I am with customers cars and my wifes car. Their is a HUGE difference between "I got to fix it to get to work" and "What can I do to make this look/run better"

That's why my car is still 15 shades of faded black and yet I paint & polish someone else's car almost every single day. When you can take the time and not worry about deadlines or in my case money, it is a lot more fun to work on a car.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:48 PM
mundo
Drifting

Having a C5 6 speed with a ZO6 engine is the most fun you'll have with your clothes on!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:17 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004
I am retiring about the same time as you. I will not buy any new cars because of all the related costs, sales tax, price of vehicle. Making them the way you want them, yada, yada. I like all my cars I have now, and im just going to keep them nice. Depends on your money situation. My money situation says no more cars Mike if you want to retire. Then when I retire I can move out of kalefornia and go somewhere they dont do smog inspections.
Come on out to Arkansas Mike, no smog inspections yet. Seem to be a lot of people from Califonia retiring and moving out here. Cheaper to live I guess.

Can't go wrong either way. Back in 99 I was very happy to go from my 92 to a 97. C5's are great cars, but so are C4's. It will be a few years before C4's are appreciated, but it will happen.

I want to buy up cheap C4's now so when I retire in 20 years I will have some cool 40 year old Vettes. Currently have three
Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Have a C4 now, and a C5....never gonna go back to my old C4 cause the C5 6 speed is too much dang fun! But I do eat up more rear tires now.

I'm just letting the girlfriend drive the C4 now so the battery stays charged.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:42 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

In your shoes ... I would keep the C4 and buy a C5. You won't get enought money for your C4. I have sold cars cheap and then a few months later said to myself " that was dumb". GL with your choice
Old 10-18-2010, 08:58 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by BobNJ
That is a question you really need to answer --- if you have an interest in a C5 --- test and compare to your car, then decide. If you are really happy with your car, fix and keep it.

For me --- I would not sell my 94 for a C5. My friend has a 2000. I sat in his - loved mine better --- the low seating, hood, handling of mine. I drove his -- I like mine better, he even likes mine better, so I would not have any desire to change what I have for a C5 or C6.

If tomorrow my car needs a new motor and trans (hope not !!) - I would not hesitate one second to have new units put in. My mind is set to keep mine for many years to come.

Bob
I drove my BIL's C5 and I like my C4 much better. If you want to get a Vette that needs less investment look for a late C4. I will never sell mine and I still have 12 years until retirement.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:44 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
They're all money pits. Your call.

You have to be able to do your own wrenching, or either will put you in the poor house. If you can't wrench, buy a new car. Drive it until it breaks warranty and trade it. Repeat.
Ya know...I find that w/ your position on many things you post here; on this question as well.

P.

Quick Reply: rebuilding a C4 or moving on