C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Power Antenna Lube (95 vette) what to use

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 PM
jjr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Antenna Lube (95 vette) what to use

The owners manual says mineral spirits, I used WD40, that good enough?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:47 PM
kmhene
Instructor

I have a 84 and I use Liquid Wrench silicone spray on mine. That seems to last longer for me than WD-40.

Kevin
Old 10-13-2010, 08:52 PM
TIMSTERS VETTE
Advanced

Default Antenna

I have a 1990 vette, my antenna stays up a little under 1/4 way. I have tried everything under the sun. From what I'm informed, these antenna's are known for this. The only resolution is to replace it. Look it up in the tech section, it is a pain in the a_ _. After looking it up in the tech part, it doesn't bother me at all.
Good luck.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:49 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by TIMSTERS VETTE
I have a 1990 vette, my antenna stays up a little under 1/4 way. I have tried everything under the sun. From what I'm informed, these antenna's are known for this. The only resolution is to replace it. Look it up in the tech section, it is a pain in the a_ _. After looking it up in the tech part, it doesn't bother me at all.
Good luck.
I sprayed mine with WD. Helped it up and down gently by hand and kept spraying it. Lasted one day then two etc. Sprayed it once this sunmmer. Still going full distance.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

Do not use any lube. Most lubs will collect road grime which will jam up your antenna. Best thing to do is wipe it off every wash with a rag to get the road grime off as well as possible.

If you are absolutely, positively gotta lube it up despite the above, I would use a dry lube that comes in a spray can at lowes or home repo. It is meant for garage doors. It leaves no liquid to catch dirt. It dries completely and leaves a dry film that will not catch dirt.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:26 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Do not use any lube. Most lubs will collect road grime which will jam up your antenna. Best thing to do is wipe it off every wash with a rag to get the road grime off as well as possible.

If you are absolutely, positively gotta lube it up despite the above, I would use a dry lube that comes in a spray can at lowes or home repo. It is meant for garage doors. It leaves no liquid to catch dirt. It dries completely and leaves a dry film that will not catch dirt.

99% of the broken antenna masts today were caused by a previous owner lubricating them in past years.

Just wipe it clean during your normal car cleaning routine.
Note: The owners manual says to use mineral spirits or equivalent solvent to clean the mast.

Last edited by RollaMo-LT4; 10-14-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Antenna Lube (95 vette) what to use

Quick Reply: Power Antenna Lube (95 vette) what to use