C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

paint jobs ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:32 PM
ETRBUJ1984
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint jobs ?

Going to get my car painted after the winter.... anyone wanna tell me how much there's were and if you have to do weather strips with the paint?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:15 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Paint jobs range anywhere from a few hundred to $10k +

It all depends on how nice you want it to be. For a good paint job with the shop doing the disassembly/reassembly you are going to be at at least a few thousand. As for weather strips, it depends on what kind of condition yours are in but most likely they are going to need to be replaced.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:31 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Ditto on the weatherstrip, gonna need new ones. Be sure you get the good kind and not the cheap imitation kit, cause it only last about 6 months or so.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:37 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you you have replaced your weatherstripping within the last few months then it will need to be replaced. C4 weatherstripping is the most fragile, poor quality weatherstripping ive ever seen. OEM or aftermarket, It all sucks compared to what is used on other cars. (Including GM).

As for the cost, RedLS1GTO is correct. $500 to $10,000 is possible. your goal will be to find a level of quality and cost that fits your needs. Call around and don't be afraid to give the independent guys a try. Just make sure you check them and their equipment out first.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ETRBUJ1984
Going to get my car painted after the winter.... anyone wanna tell me how much there's were and if you have to do weather strips with the paint?
I just responded to a similar post. Here is a copy of what I posted:

...Here is a thread detailing the approach I took. It's a long read, but very detailed and informative and occasionally entertaining. I haven't got back to the thread as I haven't quite got to the finished product, but it is real close now. It will take you to final paint, but not wheels, tint ect...

Current costs are just under 3K, this includes materials, all paint prep done myself upto wetsanded primer builder, hiring a pro to fix my mistakes and spray color and clear, used chrome rims, slotted and drilled rotors, and new weather stripping. Plus a few tools, air filter/dryer, spray guns, and sanding blocks.

All in all it came out excellent, a paint job like this alone would normally be in th 7K range.

Seems like once every week or two I am asked to refer who painted it.

Hell of a lot of work though.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...s-of-pics.html

Last edited by Jay Axson; 10-12-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:41 AM
KevinRR
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay Axson
I just responded to a similar post. Here is a copy of what I posted:

...Here is a thread detailing the approach I took. It's a long read, but very detailed and informative and occasionally entertaining. I haven't got back to the thread as I haven't quite got to the finished product, but it is real close now. It will take you to final paint, but not wheels, tint ect...

Current costs are just under 3K, this includes materials, all paint prep done myself upto wetsanded primer builder, hiring a pro to fix my mistakes and spray color and clear, used chrome rims, slotted and drilled rotors, and new weather stripping. Plus a few tools, air filter/dryer, spray guns, and sanding blocks.

All in all it came out excellent, a paint job like this alone would normally be in th 7K range.

Seems like once every week or two I am asked to refer who painted it.

Hell of a lot of work though.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...s-of-pics.html
page not found...your link is bad. I think you copied the abbreviated (....) link and not the original with full text.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KevinRR
page not found...your link is bad. I think you copied the abbreviated (....) link and not the original with full text.
Thanks, fixed it.

Get notified of new replies

To paint jobs ?

Quick Reply: paint jobs ?