C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Steering Wheel restore..

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:25 PM
cldgin2
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Steering Wheel restore..

Ok, I consider the interior of my '88 vette to be spotless. It’s as new as the day it left Chevy and its all original... Except.... The steering wheel.

Its been worn looking and faded for some time looking brown"ish". I've been toying with the idea of replacing it for some time. But darn, they are expensive.

So I'm sitting in my Vert the other night wiping down the dust and doing my at least twice a week routine to keep her looking new when it hit me.

I was whisked away to when I was a young cadet trying to polish my shoes before an inspection that was going down in ten minutes. I had just scuffed the crap out of my right shoe and was scared ******** applying polish to it. My shoe came out looking like new, and inspection was a success.

My shoes are made of black leather, and so is my steering wheel. Why not break out the old Kiwi and give her a go?

Well well..... An old skill had not left me. Spit, polish and multiple coats and guess what? Yes, my wheel is looking mighty fine once again. She still needs a few more coats, but I wanted to wait and see how bad it ended up on my hands lol. I'll let you all know how it goes over time.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Looks good. I used to do that. You cant stop time so I finally put a Wheelskins cover on it. That was about 10 years ago and its not looking that great now. Neither is the rest of the interior but its all pretty old and high miles.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:29 PM
ED77KATR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did your Hands turn black? after the first drive?
Old 06-30-2012, 02:35 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Been there done it, replaced it.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:17 PM
cldgin2
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ED77KATR
Did your Hands turn black? after the first drive?
Nope! Just did a 300+ mile run with our corvette club and no polish on the hands lol.. Will ad another coat later
Old 07-02-2012, 01:27 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

nice job!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Leftoverture
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes! I have been doing the Kiwi thing to my steering wheels for years. Once you get it where it looks good, a couple coats every now and then will keep it looking good for a long time to come. Having black seats, I have done the same thing to touch up wear in the bolsters, too. The polish never comes off if you wipe the excess off and let it dry thoroughly.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:54 AM
d914
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watch the leather repair guy on another car,, you can wet sand with 2000 grit to clean and set surface and use leather dye on the wheel.. Multiple coats...I did on an old wrx wheel that I was going to replace.. Looks great now..
The following users liked this post:
raymond447 (05-26-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Wheel restore..

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel restore..