C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Test drove 94 dealer was selling

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:35 PM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Test drove 94 dealer was selling

I went and looked at the 94 the dealer is selling for $10994.
It was $13,999 last week.
He said because winter is comming they need to get rid of it.
Its Black 57,000 miles, 6 speed, base model.
When i got there i asked for the guy i spoke to on the phone, then i stood in the lobby waiting.
The guy came out looking for me and as i aproach him he kept looking around.
I guess i dont look like the most corvette drivers, i was wearing my beatup work cloths, im black, and i look like tiger woods( at least thats what eveyone tells me).
They wouldnt even let me drive it, some other guy came out and said ill take you for a spin.
The car rode like my 86 but it felt like i was crammed in there because im use to my 86's instrument panel.
It was not much faster and the 6 speed felt like it was slipping alittle.
It was a nice looking car though.
Dont no if i will get it still thinking about it, but first ill need to drive it myself.
He said it was traded in by a older couple and then he said older people are the only people buying these cars, only younger people buying them no how to work on them.
He had the mantenance records and it had the computer reworked for get this $1,990 from a dealer about 2 years ago.
Why would the PCM go out at 54,000 miles?
Does it cost 2 grand to have it fixed?

Last edited by rad928music; 10-06-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They wouldnt even let me drive it, some other guy came out and said ill take you for a spin.
I would have told them to stuff it and walked out.

Can't drive the car? NO SALE!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:41 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Keystring
I would have told them to stuff it and walked out.

Can't drive the car? NO SALE!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:44 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aminnich
tankman
Old 10-06-2010, 03:12 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

If I can't drive it, stuff it buddy. That's what you should tell him.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:52 PM
1Asterisk
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, unless you're a teenager, then not expecting someone to take a test drive is stupid.

Especially if they are so eager to sell.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:11 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Tell them to pack salt and stick the car up their azz. Thats total disrespect to you based on how you were dressed and maybe they didnt like Tiger Woods

All kidding aside, I would tell everyone I knew not to go in there and post the name of the dealer all over the net and explain what happened to you.

Years ago, I stopped in this small lot in my town and was ready to buy a car. I was looking for a Lincoln or a Caddy or some other higher end used car for my wife. Looking to spend around about $10k, most of which I had in cash on me. I just got off work, (Im a drywaller) which can leave you looking like a street person at the end of the day

So the owner comes up to me and asks if he can help me. I told him I wanted to drive the Mark 5 or whatever it was, and Id buy it if drove out ok. He looked at me and turned around and walked back to the building. I yelled out to him and showed him about 50 C notes and told him Id remember how he treated me and to go ef himself.

Since then his business is closed down. I see him every now and again at Wal Mart or something and I make sure I catch his eye. I usually just smile really big and stare at him, he looks away in shame and wont look at me again after he realizes who I am. Its priceless when Im in my BMW 740il or my Z06 and he sees me filling up or coming out of a store or something.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Bronze85
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Tell 'em to GTFO! Who sells a running vehicle without letting the prospective buyer drive it?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:30 PM
silverja
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Default Pass in this C4

If it was me, I would pass on this C4. Usually if one cannot drive any car for sale, most likely there is a reason. If you have a good C4, you may want to stay with what is familiar rather than taking a chance on another one that is unknown.

Best of luck.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:36 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by silverja
If it was me, I would pass on this C4. Usually if one cannot drive any car for sale, most likely there is a reason. If you have a good C4, you may want to stay with what is familiar rather than taking a chance on another one that is unknown.

Best of luck.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,526 Likes on 869 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by silverja

Best of luck.
They are asking a lot and are definitly lacking in people skills.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:52 PM
steverichmond
Racer

Too high + no test drive = Go somewhere else!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:09 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

I don't think $10,900 is too high for a nice low mileage 94 Vette. Just the wrong place to buy it from.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Durissus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vette Jockey
They are asking a lot and are definitly lacking in people skills.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:18 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see the other guys feel the same as I do about the way they treated you. I looked at a 95 on a car lot and and wasn't treated much better so I told them what they could do with their car and went and bought another one.
You have a nice looking C4 and unless there is a reason you want to get rid of it now, just keep looking until you find one you really like. The price on that 94 is not good enough to lose any sleep over.
Good luck on your search
Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 PM
RWD_tech
Racer

I don't think you guys have ever worked at a dealer or known car salesmen. Of course they aren't going to let someone who comes in there looking grungy test drive a Corvette. 95% of the time that is a joyrider or someone who cannot afford the car. That's just how it is guys. Next time go there looking a bit more professional. If you are trying to buy some old Kia, look however you want. Salesmen are paid on commission, they don't have time for what may be a joyrider. And I don't think it has anything to do with him being black (and it shouldn't). just my 2 cents
Old 10-06-2010, 09:14 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD_tech
I don't think you guys have ever worked at a dealer or known car salesmen. Of course they aren't going to let someone who comes in there looking grungy test drive a Corvette. 95% of the time that is a joyrider or someone who cannot afford the car. That's just how it is guys. Next time go there looking a bit more professional. If you are trying to buy some old Kia, look however you want. Salesmen are paid on commission, they don't have time for what may be a joyrider. And I don't think it has anything to do with him being black (and it shouldn't). just my 2 cents
Sorry Friend, Youre as wrong as can be. I was a car salesman for 2 years at an Acura dealership. We were told NEVER to pass judgement on a person based on any face value attribute, good or bad. You treat the guy in grungy clothes the same way you would the guy in a 3 piece suit. Everyone was a potential buyer.

You would be amazed on who I sold cars to. EX: This young black fella came in one day with a stocking on his head, baggy pants, looking very "gangsta" if you know what I mean.... complete with the inner city type lingo etc. No one on the lot wanted to talk to the guy. I stepped right up to him and asked him if I could help. He wanted to drive the Sedan DeVille with a carrige top. Sweet ride. I obliged him. Ran inside, grabbed the keys and off we went. Dont you know, the guy was in fact a "gangtsa". He put a Nike shoebox on my desk full of neatly rolled up 20's totalling $9,000. The car was around $14k and he wanted to finance the rest. Guess who sold him a car? Not the 6 guys on the curb who passed judgement on him because of the way he looked. Thats why I sold 12 cars a month for 2 years straight. I was in the top 5 every month out of 20+ salesmen. NEVER EVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER.

Get notified of new replies

To Test drove 94 dealer was selling

Old 10-06-2010, 09:16 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Ive bought new cars off the lot dresssed like a bum why dress up to buy a 10k Vette its a used Chevy. Do see the point of dressing but not everyone has the time....THe guy got dogged I think.

The off the cuff comment he made about the computer would have me checking DMV or carfax to make sure it wasnt swapped meaning it may have had higher mileage.

When I was about 20, 21 or so I drove past a Pantera at a dealer that sat forever, decided I had to have the car. Pulled in, they wanted 28k for it. Fine I didnt care just wanted it. Bad *** ride...
Told the sales guy I we could test drive it to the bank and pick the dough up, done deal didnt haggle at all.

Guy looked at me and said I didnt even know what a Pantera was, couldnt drive it and probably never saw that much cash in my life, turned and walked away

DIdnt know at the time I had 8 musclecars all except one was totally restored. Brought by a 68 SS chevelle clone the following week I picked up and ran it by just to rub it in. Car was featured in a larger mag back in 91.

Salesholes judge by appearance age race etc. Their fault. Now if I walked into a higher end dealership wanting to test drive an AMG benz or Aston Martin looking like I crawled out of a dumpster with a 40 and a baseball bat in my hand maaaybe I could see them being hesitant but not a used chevy.
Ne

Last edited by cv67; 10-06-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:58 PM
steverichmond
Racer

Never judge a book by it's cover. Some of the richest people I know dress very common and will give no clues to their resources.

Steve
Old 10-06-2010, 10:08 PM
msledge50
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default If i was you

Originally Posted by rad928music
I went and looked at the 94 the dealer is selling for $10994.
It was $13,999 last week.
He said because winter is coming they need to get rid of it.
Its Black 57,000 miles, 6 speed, base model.
When i got there i asked for the guy i spoke to on the phone, then i stood in the lobby waiting.
The guy came out looking for me and as i approach him he kept looking around.
I guess i dont look like the most corvette drivers, i was wearing my beat up work cloths, im black, and i look like tiger woods( at least that's what everyone tells me).
They wouldn't even let me drive it, some other guy came out and said ill take you for a spin.
The car rode like my 86 but it felt like i was crammed in there because im use to my 86's instrument panel.
It was not much faster and the 6 speed felt like it was slipping a little.
It was a nice looking car though.
Dont no if i will get it still thinking about it, but first ill need to drive it myself.
He said it was traded in by a older couple and then he said older people are the only people buying these cars, only younger people buying them no how to work on them.
He had the maintenance records and it had the computer reworked for get this $1,990 from a dealer about 2 years ago.
Why would the PCM go out at 54,000 miles?
Does it cost 2 grand to have it fixed?
I would of felt totally disrespected if i was you,I would talk to the manager and if that didn't help, I would give that dealership bad press all over the internet,And i might even call the local newspaper it sounds like discrimination maybe or maybe not,But i would talk to the manager before i would jump to conclusions.

Quick Reply: Test drove 94 dealer was selling