Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
View Poll Results: These are general opinion questions to determine interest level. Please pick 2.
Would buy with HID projectors for $800
29.17%
Want a similar system for the flip design for $700
50.00%
Would be interested in buying immediately.
20.83%
Would be interested in buying within a year.
29.17%
Not interested.
33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Interest in C4 fixed position HID projector Headlight system

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 05:31 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interest in C4 fixed position HID projector Headlight system

This post is to gather the overall interest level in a C4 Fixed Position HID projector headlight system similar to the below pictures.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:32 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I might be interested in just the covers with no headlight components if the price is decent.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:23 AM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Looks pretty even for flip and fixed position lights.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Have you installed one yet? (pics are too small and dark to see what's going on). Looks to me that the flush-look would look awesome, but won't work (putting the lights on the road) due to lack of angle on the front end. All the others made have to have a bump above the hood line to get the bulbs up high enough (which to me looks )- have you tested this yet?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
I might be interested in just the covers with no headlight components if the price is decent.
thinking more fresh air in the engine compartment?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by socalman
thinking more fresh air in the engine compartment?

Not just open holes under the hood though... looks like it would be a good place to start ducting for brakes, oil cooler, etc. I have my brake ducts in the turn signals now but still need a few more things to get some air. I was already looking at making something amazingly similar to this design but haven't had the time to actually do it. The only problem comes in that if they are attached to the hood and not fixed, the ducting will open with the hood... the best option I see is to mount the covers stationary to the rest of the chassis so that they stay in place and don't open with the hood.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:21 PM
bolowbc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Yes do it!

Very cool. The LeMans style non-flips out there are pricey, and the looks are hit or miss.

I like popus since it is a very clean look when driving in day, so I voted for popups. However, non-flips would look good too and done well. Bottom line is a good HID projector kid for the C4 has a market, since our lighting could use some help.

I can't tell much by the picture, but it looks like the best I've seen out there and would most likely purchase one (second vote purchase within a year) as funds permit.

Keep us updated!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:27 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by socalman
All the others made have to have a bump above the hood line to get the bulbs up high enough (which to me looks )

I have my brake ducts in the turn signals now
That's cool. Did / do you fabricate these mods yourself...?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:38 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by j-vette
That's cool. Did / do you fabricate these mods yourself...?
Yep... made out of some NASCAR window ducts and a spare piece of lexan I had laying around. Of all of the random things I have done to the car, that is one of my favorites for some reason.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:01 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

The only reason I am not interested is because it would ruin the 35th Anni 's body lines. As I am getting older and cant see as well at night as I did 10 years ago, I always read about improvements in headlights. This mod is not for me.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:24 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I wanted to answer the question about the position of the lights relative to the road. A lot of thought, trial and error, and design changes went into this product to ensure that the lights are properly positioned for maximum light output and with consideration for DOT standards. I have not determined whether I will submit this design for DOT testing, since I don't know the price yet or whether sales will be good enough to justify the additional expense. Regardless, light output will be well above that of the original C4 headlights and probably above that of many newer vehicles.

Pictures of the prototype in the vehicle should be available in a few weeks. I have found several reasonably prices sources to have the headlight units made.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:17 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by blr33439
I wanted to answer the question about the position of the lights relative to the road. A lot of thought, trial and error, and design changes went into this product to ensure that the lights are properly positioned for maximum light output and with consideration for DOT standards. I have not determined whether I will submit this design for DOT testing, since I don't know the price yet or whether sales will be good enough to justify the additional expense. Regardless, light output will be well above that of the original C4 headlights and probably above that of many newer vehicles.

Pictures of the prototype in the vehicle should be available in a few weeks. I have found several reasonably prices sources to have the headlight units made.
The cost is substantial.

I was involved in a project that at one point was to have taillights submitted for DOT certification. Cost was in the neighborhood of $50,000... Needless to say, we ended up going with off the shelf (already DOT approved) light housings...
Old 10-05-2010, 11:18 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Yep... made out of some NASCAR window ducts and a spare piece of lexan I had laying around. Of all of the random things I have done to the car, that is one of my favorites for some reason.
That's awesome dude!

Get notified of new replies

To Interest in C4 fixed position HID projector Headlight system

Quick Reply: Interest in C4 fixed position HID projector Headlight system