Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Don't park on the street with your targa off...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 07:48 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Don't park on the street with your targa off...

The girlfriend and I went to a local icecream shop last night around 8pm and I had to park on the street, side opposite the shop. Car was within sight the whole time but I didn't have a hawk eye on it. Lighting was poor but not in complete darkness.

When we got back in the car I instantly smelled cigarette smoke and discovered that someone had mistaken my Corvette for an ash tray. I had the top off and the windows rolled up. A good amount of ash covered the passenger seat. I have brand new Wet Okole seat covers that were purchased with hard earned money and they are not the cheap $20 covers you find at Walmart. The only damage I could find is a small spot (about half the size of a pencil eraser) that has been dimpled/burned by the ash. I was more worried that there was a partially lit cigarette in the car and I scoured over the interior pretty good but did not find one.

The reject of society that did this is lucky I didn't catch him because had I, the consequences of my actions would be the last thing on my mind. Probably better for both of us that I didn't see it.

So, no big damage and nothing that I'm going to lose sleep over. I did a quick walkaround the car and didnt see anything amiss but will check again today in better light. I'm more bothered by this persons actions to go out of their way to vandalize, and for what purpose? What did they get out of it? Stealing makes a lot more sense, at least they get something out of it. But vandalizing

Thanks for reading. I had to vent, couldn't completely lose my cool in front of the girl. I guess, lesson learned. I won't be leaving the car anywhere public topless.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:53 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I must say (knock on wood) of all the times I have left the top off I have never had an issue. Glad the damage wasn't worse...some people just feel the need to be azzholes.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

They may be among us! A few years ago I was at Funfest in Effingham. I had rolled my windows up & locked the car before walking around. When I got back some sort of sub-human life form had hacked up & spit a big gob on my driver's side window. I still to this day feel it was someone here who I pissed off. Too bad they aren't brave enough to do it right in front of me.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I parked my convertible with the top down in a parking lot and went inside to shop. I was only gone about 10 minutes, when I came out I noticed a teenage bicycle rider driving around my car looking it over. Then I saw his friend running over to my car, about this time the rider saw me coming out of the store and he left the area along with his friend. It could of been someone just interested in my car or if I hadn't shown up when I did, who knows. I want to enjoy my car and will continue to operate as in the past. There is a risk every time you take the car out of the garage, may never bring it back. Here is another thought, something may fall from the sky. Could happen!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:22 AM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 279 Likes on 146 Posts

I had a nice Big Block '65 vert that I took to a birthday party downtown at a private club back in the nineties. Top was down. Valet was supposed to park it in the parking garage, but turns out he couldn't figure out how to move the car, so it sat on the street. When I came back, like Midnight 85, someone spat on the rear deck (I guess it could have been worse). Needless to say, I didn't tip the valet.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:39 AM
1Asterisk
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think I could park mine with the targa off without having eyes on it.

I barely can park it without looking at it with the targa on! Crap happens sometimes, but a nice attention getting car is always a target.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:51 AM
silverja
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Default These folks better have eyes in the back of their heads

These sick folks better hope I am not in the vicinity whenever they disrespect a Corvette! I will not say what will befall them, but it would make certain scenes out of the Godfather or Good Fellas movies look tame in comparison. It will resemble Pearl Harbor with no advance warning to the heavy damage that is quickly approaching.

I have had my vehicles vandalized on occasion for no reason. It may have been best that I did not catch the vandals. But one day one of them will slip up and I will be coming at them. I used to be a very successful middle linebacker and maybe I can reactivate those blind side hits again. Oh boy.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:58 AM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are jerks in every part of the world that could give a rats a$$ if they destroy someones property or what it costs to fix. Glad yours wasn't any worse than it was because the outcome could have been really bad.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:14 AM
jon1all
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Vandalism of this sort is usually based on envy. The d-bag that ashed in your Vette can't afford a Vette (actually, with the price of C4s he probably could but your average Joe doesn't realize this and thinks any Vette is a high priced toy) and wanted to "get back at you" for having the audacity to own one yourself, while he must do without.

Don't worry though... soon the gov't will take your Vette and we can then all be equally miserable with the d-bags of the world! (End of Rant!)
Old 09-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Even with my DD, a 93 buick lesabre - nothing to be jealous of, unless you like a really smooth ride and comfortable seats , people feel the need to be asswipes. I parked in a walmart parking lot and somebody used my rear bumper as a bartop for their empty soda cans. 4 of them.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:12 AM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Society, in general, sucks... Sorry that happened to your car!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:22 PM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

There's a lot of jealous people out there.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:55 PM
r15
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm like you when I have the targa off - it's watched like a hawk. I know I can lock the doors, console, and glove box, but it doesn't stop anyone from doing as they did to you, or worse, slashing or pulling on things inside. I usually only leave the targa off when it's parked at a cruise in I'm sitting close by, or at home.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:00 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

WTF is wrong with people?
Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
WTF is wrong with people?
Sums up the big question everywhere.....
Old 09-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Klondike
Team Owner

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Default I got good revenge one time, but only once.

I got a new toy one day, a little digital voice recorder, for an important meeting that was coming up. I had been playing with it and learning how to use it for a day when I parked my old Mustang at the mall to pick up a tool I needed. Just for practice with it, I recorded the car descriptions and plate numbers of the parking mates beside me. Gone for about 15 minutes, I returned to my car with Wendy's empty but dripping drink cups and burger bags sitting on my hood. No other cars close so I know it was them. Ran the plate through a cop buddy & found out who & where they lived. Paid them a little return visit with their own garbage only not placed so gently on their own car!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the public at large that a widescale plague of communicable hemorrhagic fever wouldn't solve. But really, if you were to catch someone doing this, don't confront them. Instead follow them. Find out where they live and what they drive.

After a few nights, consume an entire pizza and a half gallon of milk. Allow one hour for partial digestion. Open their car by whatever means necessary, insert your index finger into your throat to trigger a gag reflex, and evacuate the contents of your stomach into the drivers seat. While you're there, empty your bladder onto the dash. Bowels are optional.

That should sufficiently send the message of your disdain with their behavior.

Get notified of new replies

To Don't park on the street with your targa off...

Old 09-30-2010, 08:17 PM
eatmydst1234
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could never leave the car with the targa off in public unless at a car show or something, even then I park around friends knowing that someone I trust would be around the cars to keep an eye out. I had a older olds cutlass stolen from my driveway, last year. Now I can't even park the vette in the driveway with the top off, just too nervous. lol. True story, I was in house sick, throwing up every 2-3 mins, I wasn't in any kind of shape to try and get up and go put the car up. I suffered through it, though. Car got put in garage and I felt better about it. Garage is 250 ft behind house, that was the worse 250 ft of my life walking back up to house.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:29 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Klondike
I got a new toy one day, a little digital voice recorder, for an important meeting that was coming up. I had been playing with it and learning how to use it for a day when I parked my old Mustang at the mall to pick up a tool I needed. Just for practice with it, I recorded the car descriptions and plate numbers of the parking mates beside me. Gone for about 15 minutes, I returned to my car with Wendy's empty but dripping drink cups and burger bags sitting on my hood. No other cars close so I know it was them. Ran the plate through a cop buddy & found out who & where they lived. Paid them a little return visit with their own garbage only not placed so gently on their own car!
Do you mean to tell me a COP friend can run plates for a civilian? It is nice to know that the police have too much information available to them and they don't have any qualms about researching and releasing the info to a friend. Your cop friend is an a**.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Blame
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can relate to you all. Three days ago my center wheel caps and air stem caps where stolen from my baby. Two of the lugs where loosen as will. I think they where planning on stealing my wheels when they say my lugs with lockers on.

A month before I had someone green slime spit on the driver side window that was slowly making it way down. I had some spray something on my wind shield that force me to get a new one.

All I got to say on these matter is Im pissed off with how people act, but as long as life was not lost I can just fix the problem and move on. Plus full coverage helps too.

Quick Reply: Don't park on the street with your targa off...