Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Thinking about saving a C4

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 PM
deerra
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read every word of this thread and enjoyed every minute of it.
You guys did a great job. You should be proud.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Jerry L
Intermediate

I've surely enjoyed this entire thread. You have a beautiful car!

Last edited by Jerry L; 07-30-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-30-2011, 02:54 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Awesome
Old 07-31-2011, 01:10 PM
atgordon
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both Tim (TGTINT) and I have been very touched by the wonderful feedback, and genuine interest, in the progress we have made with our Corvette. The comments and support of this forum in particular has been invaluable and it would have made the entire project a much more taxing without all the help and assistance (and good natured tolerance when we asked really stupid questions!).

This started out as a simple "is it worth saving this car" to become an historical record of the progress made from a neglected and very sad looking car that once had been the pride and joy of the previous owner, George (who had passed away at the beginning, by the look of it, of a major tear down), to a car that we are both very proud of, and I'm sure that George is looking down on his baby with a big smile.

When Tim graduated from college in Michigan and moved to SoCa to start work, we though our days of working on "car projects" was over. With some careful planning and the cost of few flights, you can still pull off such fun projects, so do not allow distance to put you off working with your kids on fun activities.

The bringing the car back to life phase is close to over (well, once we work out how to get heat, and how to clear the Service ASR light, plus a couple of DTCs), and it will not be long before she makes the trip cross country to Michigan where she will be a regularly driven car for the 2 months of the year that we don't have snow (I'm kidding, we're snow free for nearly 8 months!).

I've always yearned for a stick shift Corvette, and I'm so pleased that I have achieved that goal with Tim's help. But the real pleasure in this project has been to work on a great car that was well worth saving, with my son. As they say in the adverts, that experience was "priceless!"

Last edited by atgordon; 08-07-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:49 AM
carguy604
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Way to go guys! It looks to me like you've saved a Vette, built an engine and strengthened your relationship - all at the same time. A job well done!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:28 PM
popo8
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read all 9 pages straight....

Incredible story...... I dont know either of you, but I can honestly say a sense of being PROUD of you has engulfed me.

CONGRATS......
Old 08-05-2011, 09:47 PM
atgordon
Advanced

Originally Posted by popo8
Just read all 9 pages straight....

Incredible story...... I dont know either of you, but I can honestly say a sense of being PROUD of you has engulfed me.

CONGRATS......
Many thanks popo8, the feedback from the list has really helped us in this project, and this thread has really become a wonderful example of what can happen when a couple of guys (father and son) want to bring a car back to life with the help of similarly minded folks on the forum.

I am thrilled that we have brought a Corvette back to life. It was clearly a car that was well worth the effort, and I have loved every minute of working on her with my son.

I am delighted that you to are proud of our achievement! We are too!

(I should add that we have sorted out the lack of heat ... many thanks to pcolt94, who, in response to another posting correctly diagnosed a blocked heater core. Now we can drive north of SoCa!)

Last edited by atgordon; 08-05-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:43 PM
atgordon
Advanced

Default Service ASR & Sys lights gone

Tim just sent me an emailed photo of the dash .... no lights. I tested everything I could when I was in SD last week, and the throttle position sensor was clearly faulty. Now replaced, and we have no lights! Hooray!

(I will post another thread on how we tracked it down)
Old 08-06-2011, 02:02 AM
BUBBAMAN86
Heel & Toe

Great story and awesome job.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:12 AM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by atgordon
Both Tim (TGTINT) and I have been very touched by the wonderful feedback, and genuine interest, in the progress we have made with our Corvette. The comments and support of this forum in particular has been invaluable and it would have made the entire project a much more taxing without all the help and assistance (and good natured tolerance when we asked really stupid questions!).

This started out as a simple "it it worth saving this car" to become an historical record of the progress made from a neglected and very sad looking car that once had been the pride and joy of the previous owner, George (who had passed away at the beginning, by the look of it, a major tear down), to a car that we are both very proud of, and I'm sure that George is looking down on his baby with a big smile.

When Tim graduated from college in Michigan and moved to SoCa to start work, we though our days of working on "car projects" was over. With some careful planning and the cost of few flights, you can still pull off such fun projects, so do not allow distance to put you off working with your kids on fun activities.

The bringing the car back to life phase is close to over (well, once we work out how to get heat, and how to clear the Service ASR light, plus a couple of DTCs), and it will not be long before she makes the trip cross country to Michigan where she will be a regularly driven car for the 2 months of the year that we don't have snow (I'm kidding, we're snow free for nearly 8 months!).

I've always yearned for a stick shift Corvette, and I'm so pleased that I have achieved that goal with Tim's help. But the real pleasure in this project has been to work on a great car that was well worth saving, with my son. As they say in the adverts, that experience was "priceless!"
This is what it is all about. Congrats guys! Car looks amazing. Not only was it a GREAT find, but a GREAT save.

This should go up as one of the best stories I have seen in this forum. Definitely "sticky" status and something that we all should remember.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:49 PM
atgordon
Advanced

Many thanks navy_vette for your kind words, and thanks to all the other kind folks who have followed this project.

I did want to add a follow up on the Service ASR and Sys light issue. Tim replaced the TPS, and added the following on Facebook last night:

Tim Gordon - Oh and it's a shitload faster now too, I can get it sideways no problem!

My wife added the following:
Shirley Gordon - Faster now huh...well that makes me feel very excited about the cross country journey home! :-)

Tony Gordon - GREAT JOB TIM! She was pretty fast before, so I'm really looking forward to our journey across the country now!

Tim Gordon - Its just a lot more "punchy" and you can tell its running much smoother although there is a slight miss at idle... not sure if that's the cam.

Tony Gordon - The write-ups say that the CompCams 260 XFI cam will have "a mild lope at idle, with smooth power and high torque from 1200-5200 rpm"

We will be leaving Oceanside in mid September for our journey home, visiting family in N Carolina (maybe a quick side trip to the Tail of the Dragon? ... not sure my wife would approve!).

Needless to say, we will continue to post to this thread until she is finally at home in mid-Michigan!

Last edited by atgordon; 08-06-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:50 PM
atgordon
Advanced

Tim here posting from my parents computer.

They are here to take the car home! I took my Dad down to one of my dealers and we tinted the car last night. I'll post pics because we did something pretty cool to deal with the holes for the shocks in the rear glass.

Just need to give the car a bath for her final glamour shots but I'll post up a few pics of the film installation soon.

Mom and Dad will be driving coast to coast from Oceanside to North Carolina then up to Michigan.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 PM
MissileDoc
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I've enjoyed this thread from the first day. What a great experience for a father and son.

Here's to a safe and enjoyable trip home!
Old 09-25-2011, 04:30 AM
Zarrooo
Advanced

Just found this thread and enjoyed every post.

You both did a great job. Amazing look car - I really like that black rose metallic.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:44 AM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Wonderful job -- this is what the hobby is all about guys!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:14 PM
HillbillyBill
Advanced

Ultimate color! Congrats.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:39 AM
TGTINT
Advanced

Okay,

Here is a little teaser. I'll post up more on the film install soon. Its super late but I wanted a quick update.

Mom & Dad left today, they arrived safe and sound in Tuscon this evening with the first leg complete. I'm hoping Dad will post updates from the road, I'll hit him up tomorrow and remind him to.

Here is the tint install.

My good friend Mike handled the rear window and I did the roll ups.

Here is his cool trick to handle a clean look around the shocks while still allowing for the flex that will wreck the tint if it is too close.

The roll ups (SolarGard HP Supreme 42%)

The rear glass (SolarGard HP Supreme 22%) I wished I coulda gone with 10% Dad wanted lighter.

The Stang and the Vette

Looking GOOD!

Right before leaving

I sent Rhea the former owners daughter a text of the car today all cleaned up and she was stoked. This was such a fun project and I'm pretty pumped I had the chance to pay my Dad back for the years of his help on my rides and getting me into cars in the first place. We had an amazing weekend while they were here, we went sailing and he got to captain my friends 36' boat on Saturday. Life is good, don't miss out on opportunity when it appears!

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about saving a C4

Old 09-27-2011, 06:50 AM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TGTINT
Okay,
Ricer hunters on the prowl!

Tinting the rear hatch makes a HUGE difference. With a black interior, I couldn't stand being in my car for the first few minutes before I got it tinted. I took the door window tint off eventually though.

So, exactly what is the trick with the shock? I'm guessing that you cut the tint close enough, then covered the connection point with something. What did you cover it with?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:38 AM
TGTINT
Advanced

Originally Posted by navy_vette
Ricer hunters on the prowl!

Tinting the rear hatch makes a HUGE difference. With a black interior, I couldn't stand being in my car for the first few minutes before I got it tinted. I took the door window tint off eventually though.

So, exactly what is the trick with the shock? I'm guessing that you cut the tint close enough, then covered the connection point with something. What did you cover it with?
Sorry I should have pointed it out. Mike created a border around the hole with black vinyl, it imitates the border of the glass. You can see it in the pictures above. It leaves a factory look and it guarantees no issues in the future.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:02 PM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TGTINT
Howdy all,

I'm marinating on saving a C4 that's been sitting for almost two years in a field under a cover

Great opportunity and find. I fell into a 78 Porsche 911SC that had been sitting for 7 years. All I did to get it running reliabably was to drain the gas, change the fuel filter, change the oil and filter, inspect for furry residents, new battery and go.

Later I bought new tires. The old ones rode like you were on bricks. I pulled the engine and removed the smog stuff, cleaned it up some, replaced the plugs and wires and drove it for 4 years problem free!!

Good luck

Quick Reply: Thinking about saving a C4