Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 prices are down?...says WHO????

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:24 AM
MikeSVO
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I just got my first Vette about a month ago. I actually looked at it on a Saturday night, the day before I was to fly out of town on business for two weeks. I didn't have the funds on me, so I had to tell him, "I'll take it in 2 weeks if it's still here, though I'm pretty sure I'm going to miss it." He was asking $7650, so I told him I'd give him $7800 if he waited for me, but he needed money so there were no promises. Even if he HAD said he would hold it, I know I'd have been a fool to believe it.

I'd already looked at (3) white, 92-96, 6-speed coupes with anything-but-red interior - that's the combo I wanted, and as you might imagine, these things are a few generations old now so it can take time to find what you want.

He called me while I was out of town 3 or 4 days later and told me it was mine if I wanted it. When I returned to pick it up, I asked him why he called me back. He said it was because he was sick of fielding calls from lowballers, really young people (who couldn't even drive a stick?!), etc... So I gave him the $7800, as promised, but then he tossed in a set of factory shop manuals, so it kinda balanced out anyway.

Funny thing, my friend who's a car dealer drove me over there to get it, and on the way he was trying to work out a stragegy on low-balling the guy. I said, "Nope, sorry, we already agreed on the price", and my buddy was so confused by that.

Sooo...long story short, I bought the car, paid a little OVER the asking price for it, but am totally pleased with it because it is EXACTLY what I wanted. I can understand if someone says I overpaid, but I'm so happy with it! And that's definately worth something.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:10 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sometimes its worth paying a little more if it eliminates the hunt and youre totally happy with the car looking gets exhausting quick, lotsa junk out there. Your friend wanted you to lowball him after you told him he called you back due to being sick of lowballers?
Old 09-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by robert007
there are a ton of c4.s out there. I have a 88 with 30 miles and i would not part with it for 20K. I love the car. I take care of it it is in mint condition and i am always adding things to it. It has become my hoppy. I love the damn thing.
How about some pics of an 88 with 30 miles on it? Also, whats a "hoppy" and how does a vette trun into one?

Last edited by Jon Hekking; 09-18-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 AM
MikeSVO
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I told my buddy we had agreed on the price, and after we arrived I asked the seller why he called me back. Then he told me about the low-ballers. I sorta knew that would be the case anyway.

As for the car, it's a 93 with 92k miles, been in Florida it's whole life, but garaged so the paint and interior aren't baked. It has gray interior, and the drivers side seat bolster is NOT torn up. I know I looked at a few other C4s (not all were the combo I really wanted) that were torn up in that area. I looked at another car just like it that was $10,500, and it had bad weatherstripping, overspray from repairs/touchups, etc... I feel like I did OK.

It has little issues, but the big stuff seems to be good. Almost ALL of the issues it has are in the sticky posted in the tech section. I was worried about buying an older model, but it's nice to see that these things are pretty much figured out by now.

The only issue that wasn't in there was a 'service ASR' light, which comes on ONLY when I run in through the RPMs in second gear, it seems.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:18 PM
89er
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
Look at the prices of C4s for sale right here on the forum. Most of them aren't selling even at give away prices.
You usually have to drive/fly 500+ miles just to take a look at a forum car. If you were talking about a $40K car then the ~$1000 cost in time and expense just to take a look would make sense.

Things often look better in pictures than they do close up. Comparing forum price to local price can be very misleading.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by 89er
You usually have to drive/fly 500+ miles just to take a look at a forum car. If you were talking about a $40K car then the ~$1000 cost in time and expense just to take a look would make sense.

Things often look better in pictures than they do close up. Comparing forum price to local price can be very misleading.
Why does it matter what these things are worth? I bought this 93 almost 2years ago for $6,250, 91K miles, new tires and spotless, it was a steal. I'm probably letting it go this weekend for $7,500 (was $7,800 but it needs brakes so I cut it a little). I'm going out to pick up another one for a track car, looked at many. Easy to find a late C4 LT1 in less than pristine condition for under $5K right now. Just not much value in these things right now, may change, who cares?

Old 09-18-2010, 01:05 PM
pantera1683
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Sometimes its worth paying a little more if it eliminates the hunt and youre totally happy with the car looking gets exhausting quick, lotsa junk out there. Your friend wanted you to lowball him after you told him he called you back due to being sick of lowballers?

Quick Reply: C4 prices are down?...says WHO????