Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How to fix scratches on center console cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:14 PM
brvette777
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix scratches on center console cover?

Hello. Some how the hinged door cover on my center console of my 1995 Vette got a very long scratch in it. I don't know if this is leather or some kind of a soft vinyl. I know that I may not be able to fix the scratch itself but what makes it noticeable is that it looks like it is grey or white in color. This is very noticeable against the black leather/or vinyl on the rest of the cover. The scratch is very shallow but was enough to take off the black surface. Does anyone have any suggestions to make this scratch look black again so it doesn't stand out as much? Has anyone ever used black shoe polish? If so, did it work? Also if anyone has any suggestions to help fix scratches in the plastic trim panels I would like to know this as well. I appreciate all input!
Old 08-28-2010, 11:17 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Thats Plasti-Dip. You can find it in Home Depot.

I tried to strip it off the console and spray PD on it but, it was a PITA. I bought new components and got them "carbon fibered".

Old 08-29-2010, 02:05 AM
brvette777
Intermediate

What does PITA stand for? Did you use this product on the leather hinged console cover, or are you only talking about the plastic trim and dashboard parts? I need to go to Home Depot.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:42 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure where Pete put the PlastiDip but probly on the plastic dash parts. They are covered with a factory finish called Dulso which has a tendency to break down and become sticky over time, making it a Pain In The Azz to remove and refinish

The polish trick will probly color in the scratch in your leather console cover. I would confine the polish to the scratch as the polish will probly rub off on your elbow. Maybe use a Cue Tip to work it in the scratch then remove the excess with a soft cloth

Good Luck and post your results so everybody can if it doesnt work............just kidding!!!. Really let us know 'cause someone will need the info
Old 08-29-2010, 09:14 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I never tried it but they make a "sharpie" with a fine tip-the magic marker is permanent-it may work-staples or office max should have it-they come in different sizes. let us know what you will use
Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

For $35 you can get a consol cover, and it is much more comfortable than the stock. As far as the plastic dash parts, take them off, strip them and paint, they will look like new.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by brvette777
What does PITA stand for? Did you use this product on the leather hinged console cover, or are you only talking about the plastic trim and dashboard parts? I need to go to Home Depot.
PITA....pain in the a..
Old 08-29-2010, 11:37 AM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

Originally Posted by kimmer
For $35 you can get a consol cover, and it is much more comfortable than the stock. As far as the plastic dash parts, take them off, strip them and paint, they will look like new.
Could you explain the process on how and what products to use, my 95 has some of the rubber that needs work, Thanks
Old 08-29-2010, 12:11 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by kimmer
Didn't I see somewhere a vendor sold the paint to do this? I know I did.

Hey Joe, just take the parts off and clean them. Then if there's any gouges fill them in with a resin of some sort and then just spray the paint on.

You're a carpenter so you know the procedure. Easy slow strokes with the spray. It may take a couple times to get it covered good. Don't try to get it all covered perfect the first time or you'll end up with runs and such.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:17 PM
lgaff
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Winner

This guy said he would quote refinsihing Corvette parts, but might be pricey:

http://www.stickynomore.com/
Old 08-29-2010, 01:03 PM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
Didn't I see somewhere a vendor sold the paint to do this? I know I did.

Hey Joe, just take the parts off and clean them. Then if there's any gouges fill them in with a resin of some sort and then just spray the paint on.

You're a carpenter so you know the procedure. Easy slow strokes with the spray. It may take a couple times to get it covered good. Don't try to get it all covered perfect the first time or you'll end up with runs and such.

Hope that makes sense.
Mike are you talking about tha rubber paint mentioned here? If you remember the vendor let me know. Thanks, Joe
Old 08-29-2010, 04:13 PM
brvette777
Intermediate

These are great suggestions. I will let you know what I do for the console cover. As far as scratches in the trim panel....this sounds a bit tricky. Not sure if I can do it.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:55 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by brvette777
These are great suggestions. I will let you know what I do for the console cover. As far as scratches in the trim panel....this sounds a bit tricky. Not sure if I can do it.
I dont think the Dulso removal is all that hard, just time consuming. Do a search for "Dulso", Click "Advanced Search" and choose both C4 Tech and General Forums to find what you need.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:36 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by joesgulfstream
Mike are you talking about tha rubber paint mentioned here? If you remember the vendor let me know. Thanks, Joe
here you go Joe and for anyone else who who it may benefit

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette...-346-3473.html

Joe, I'll PM you as well.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:40 AM
brvette777
Intermediate

Ok, tried shoe polish on the soft center console lid cover. Unfortunately it doesn't really work. I think it did make the scratch look a bit darker but the scratch still sticks out like a sore thumb. Also, I will now have to shine the entire lid with shoe polish so because the area where the long scratch is looks blacker than the rest of the console. I don't mind doing that though. I put the polish on and let it dry completely then took a wet cloth and rubbed it off. I don't think the black will come off on my arm and the part of the console that the polish on looks much nicer in terms of color...dark black. Unfortunately it can't mask the scratch. The darn thing is 7 inches or so long and its just sickening! Small scratches are no big deal to look at but this darn thing is just terrible to look out. I looked up the price of a new cover and it is nearly $300. Ouch! I looked into the cushions you can out over the cover and I like the way they look but I think it will make the center console to high for my arm. The height right now is near perfect and if I put a cushion on it, it probably be too high.

Anyone think there is a compound that can fill in the scratch or know if it is possible too have someone refinish the center console cover and then paint it?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 AM
brvette777
Intermediate

I tried a pen and a marker and they do not help either. Problem is that the scratch takes off the finish layer of the cover so you are left with a different "plastic-like" material underneath that just doesn't have the same consistency and does not want to absorb color.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Wow, that must be some scratch. Sorry it hasnt really gotten any better, I am out of suggestions. Keep checking here on the C4 parts Forum and fleabay I guess. At least it may be easier to find a black replacement for less than $300. Ouch

Get notified of new replies

To How to fix scratches on center console cover?

Old 09-02-2010, 01:51 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I might go the carbon fiber route..the real stuff. A company by me will cover any part with real CF..a little pricey though. Check out TKO performance in Malvern NY if interested.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:21 PM
brvette777
Intermediate

Thanks guys for the input.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:25 PM
brvette777
Intermediate

OK, upon further review and more shoe polish...there is definately an improvement. The scratches are still there so unless there is some kind of safe compound to fill them, that is just how it is. However, the inside of the scratches have absorbed a lot of the black polish. They are much less light or white in color and are actually looking quite black. One warning...do not use a permanent marker...it will not look right because it is darker than the rest of the console. I had to rub in hydrogen peroxide to remove it after I put it on. It eventually came out. Stick to the shoe polish and you will need to coat the entire cover with shoe polish so that the space around the scratches will not look darker than everything else.

Quick Reply: How to fix scratches on center console cover?