C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Getting in and out

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Jamo11
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting in and out

I suppose this topic, like most others has come up before. Excuse me if it's a bore.

I was interested in the C4, but I was advised by one member that geting in and out of the bathtub on a daily basis is roughly comparable to the ingress and egress effort I should prepare myself for with the C4. And that goes double for my wife! So I should move up to the C5.

But just this morning I was at Starbucks for some morning refreshment. I had noticed a young lady drive up in an '87 or '88, it looked like to me. She was a rather pleasant looking young blond woman, slender and self confident and wearing a short, black skirt. I thought I'd ask her opinion.

I was surprised when she told me that she hadn't recognized any issue with the bathtub effect at all. The complaint was new to her. She was, like, 'It's a car. You have to get in and out.'

She seemed to recall someone else having mentioned it, but not her.

I do need the car as a daily driver. Well, has it been your experience that the bathtub effect issue alone is enough to discourage C4 ownership and militiate movement to C5?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:37 AM
4DSZR1
Burning Brakes

Not an issue if you.... sit down butt first and then slide your legs and feet in.

Works for me and others when the ride with me
Old 08-26-2010, 10:41 AM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It comes down to your age/height/weight/general health/usage of the car.
I'm in my 40s, tall, heavy and slightly arthritic. I feel it when I get in and out, getting out is the hardest. But I don't mind it when I get to say I drive a vette!
It's also my weekend car, not sure I'd put up with it in a daily driver.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:51 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by dukeallen
It comes down to your age/height/weight/general health/usage of the car.
I'm in my 40s, tall, heavy and slightly arthritic. I feel it when I get in and out, getting out is the hardest. But I don't mind it when I get to say I drive a vette!
It's also my weekend car, not sure I'd put up with it in a daily driver.

Each person will have their own level of comfort in dealing with this issue.
It's almost like the exhaust drone issue, where what is annoying to one person if perfectly fine to another.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:57 AM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no right leg. My left is poor at best. I drive mine all the time no problem no complaints. And I have to get the wheel chair or walker in depending what I am using while sitting on the rocker. lean the seat all the way foward and slide them in the back, Then rotat my *** into the seat. Still not a problem love it would not give it up. And watching girls get out is a major plus!!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:02 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Nothin' like hoppin' the bird cage (frame rail) in a C4!

I wouldn't mind peepin' the slims in this image (as depicted) try it.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:10 AM
azrocketman
Racer

Originally Posted by Jamo11
I suppose this topic, like most others has come up before. Excuse me if it's a bore.

I was interested in the C4, but I was advised by one member that geting in and out of the bathtub on a daily basis is roughly comparable to the ingress and egress effort I should prepare myself for with the C4. And that goes double for my wife! So I should move up to the C5.

But just this morning I was at Starbucks for some morning refreshment. I had noticed a young lady drive up in an '87 or '88, it looked like to me. She was a rather pleasant looking young blond woman, slender and self confident and wearing a short, black skirt. I thought I'd ask her opinion.

I was surprised when she told me that she hadn't recognized any issue with the bathtub effect at all. The complaint was new to her. She was, like, 'It's a car. You have to get in and out.'

She seemed to recall someone else having mentioned it, but not her.

I do need the car as a daily driver. Well, has it been your experience that the bathtub effect issue alone is enough to discourage C4 ownership and militiate movement to C5?
I have a new pickup line to meet woman "Excuse me miss, I notice you have a Corvette. How does one get into your car?"

Steve
Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 AM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Its not that bad, unless you have a bad back or something... I use my Vette as a daily driver and I have no problems. I personally love the fact that there are high door sills. Its like getting into a race car. It makes the Vette that much more different/special! Even my friends dont have that much trouble. They ask how to get out, but never ask how to get in
Old 08-26-2010, 12:24 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 279 Likes on 146 Posts

You know, you really blew it. You should be posting pics of the demonstration she gave you getting in and out of her car several times in said short black skirt.

Now, as far as getting in and out of a C4, I didn't think 15-20 years ago that I'd ever be driving one. I had chronic back problems, and the first time I got into my neighbor's '84, I didn't think I was going to get back out again. Once the back problems went away, I didn't have such a problem, even being 30 pounds overweight! You'd have to try it a couple of times, there's a couple of tricks you can learn to make it easier.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:35 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

I don't worry too much about myself getting in and out, more so the passengers that flail and flop around like they are trying to break the car.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:20 PM
thedudeman321
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pologreen1
I don't worry too much about myself getting in and out, more so the passengers that flail and flop around like they are trying to break the car.
Truth. Some try to punch holes in the dash. Some try to pull the door off of the hinges. If you're lucky you'll be left with only finger prints on the b pillar.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:48 PM
mdlfcrss
Burning Brakes

I'm on the far side of 50... 6'3" (when my back lets me stand up straight) and pushing 280lbs. I don't know that I'd want to get in and out of five times a day, but mine is just a weekend warrior... so I don't mind the extra effort.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Bobzilla
Racer

6', 230, poor knees and non-flexible. Coming from the Swift with a fixed back Corbeau in a car physically half the size... this is like falling out of a minivan. Is it super easy in a tight parking space? No. Is it hard? Not at all.

Although, I noticed my 88 is easier than dad's 84 and I think it's because of the parking brake being a little farther back. Could be wrong, but it feels easier.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:07 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

I'm 57 with a back problem, even had some surgery and I have to say my vette is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever sat it. Getting in is butt first and then swing in legs. Getting out, swing legs out then find what is best for you. Personaly I wrap my elbow around the windshield pillar and pull up. By the way, I'm 6'2" and 210.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:23 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

may go against the grain but I stick my right foot in then flop into the seat and pull my left foot in.
getting out I stick my feat out and scoot up and sit on the sill then with an elbow on the each upper corner heave my self up.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:26 PM
BADRACR1
Melting Slicks

I have minor back issues. For me, it's right foot in, plant bottom, left leg in. For exiting, set my left foot out, I place my left hand on the padded part of the sill and push myself out. Don't use the back of the seat to push on, it will make the seat develop a rocking motion. Not too big a deal except on days with a lot of pain and it's not my DD either. But it's not bad enough to quit driving it!
Find someoen with one and try it a few times to see if it'll be uncomfortable for you. And next time take pics of said slender, young blonde woman, especially in short skirts!

Proud member, Team TLH.

Last edited by BADRACR1; 08-26-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:31 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I use mine as a daily driver from spring until winter. I was born during the Eisenhower administration and don't have any problems getting in and out. Takes a little practice at first, but now it's second nature. You want to make sure not to use the steering wheel as an aid, or you'll eventually be searching for threads on how to fix your sloppy steering column.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting in and out

Old 08-26-2010, 02:38 PM
91red vet
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too horrible unless you cannot get the door all the way open because of being too close to an obstruction. This is how i usually get in:
Put your left foot in, put your right foot out, put your left foot in and you shake it all about,
Do the Hokie-Pokie and your turn your self around, THAT'S what its all about!!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Butterkup
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 91red vet
Not too horrible unless you cannot get the door all the way open because of being too close to an obstruction. This is how i usually get in:
Put your left foot in, put your right foot out, put your left foot in and you shake it all about,
Do the Hokie-Pokie and your turn your self around, THAT'S what its all about!!!!

ahhh that was so funny someone in the next office asked if I was ok...

I am short but have no problems getting in or out of my 84.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:45 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 63, 6'2", 200 lbs. with long legs. It's easier getting into and out of my C3 but with the C4 it's right foot in first, then ease down to the seat then the left foot in. Getting out it's just the reverse.

Whether you use my method or the "sit in *** first then swing in the legs", just keep in mind, DO NOT use the steering wheel for leverage or as a grab bar. The internals of the tilt mechanism are soft metal and you can easily end up with the dreaded steering wheel flop. Oh, and don't forget, once you engage the parking brake the handle can be pushed down to the floor. I've seen a few noobs think it had to be left up, which makes getting out even harder.

Last edited by jrzvette; 08-26-2010 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Getting in and out