C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

x-pipe just installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:04 AM
therbst
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default x-pipe just installed

Today I had my x-pipe welded in. My reason was to get rid of the "drone" sound that I get when I'm running highway speeds between 1600 and 2100. All I had was a stock system with Magnaflows out the back. I'll be the first to admit I was impressed with the lower tone and the ride on the highway was great, I could actually here my wife ( no jokes with that last statement) I truely thought that I was wasting my money but for $75 for the pipe and $50 for the install, it was well worth it. I plan on getting some sounds clips put on here soon.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 AM
mbowers13
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I got mine on last week, it worked out well for me also.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Looks like you had the exact same exhaust that I now have on my LT4. Magnaflow mufflers out back and the resonator has been removed and replaced with straight through pipes. I think it's louder inside than it is outside. In the RPM range you gave in your post, my interior drone is head splitting. I guess I need an X to break up that resonance. (About the only thing I can afford right now)
Old 08-26-2010, 09:37 AM
KARR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
Looks like you had the exact same exhaust that I now have on my LT4. Magnaflow mufflers out back and the resonator has been removed and replaced with straight through pipes. I think it's louder inside than it is outside. In the RPM range you gave in your post, my interior drone is head splitting. I guess I need an X to break up that resonance. (About the only thing I can afford right now)
Hey Jim,

Are you planning on going to Biff's on Friday? If so, I'll meet you down there and you can hear mine with the x pipe installed.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:08 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with lower tone, but thats about as far as I'd go with mine. Def did what it was supposed to, but was hopin for an even more toned down interior. Still waiting to see somebody move from an x pipe to magnaflows x-resonator and give their review.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:00 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Location: Formerly from the Great White North but now residing in the Desert Southwest NM (The Land of Dis-Enchantment?)
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replaced my 3 inch B&B cross flow resonator with one of their X-pipes. Should have done that on the original purchase/install. Drone is down and the tone is even more aggressive. At 61, I still haven't found a pipe that's too loud...
Old 08-26-2010, 07:36 PM
KARR
Racer

Originally Posted by NMsharkracer
Replaced my 3 inch B&B cross flow resonator with one of their X-pipes. Should have done that on the original purchase/install. Drone is down and the tone is even more aggressive. At 61, I still haven't found a pipe that's too loud...
The deafer I get, the quieter it gets!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:39 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

x pipe is also good for performance
Old 08-27-2010, 06:52 AM
romankrzy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any comments on this X-Pipe? I would guess you'll need some adapters since it's only 12" but it's stupid cheap and SS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-S...#ht_6599wt_941
Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 PM
dsmaruska
Advanced

So, I have an LT4 and would like to get a few more "pony's" and a better sound, but am unfamiliar with X-Pipe. Can someone explain? Many thanks.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 PM
KARR
Racer

Originally Posted by dsmaruska
So, I have an LT4 and would like to get a few more "pony's" and a better sound, but am unfamiliar with X-Pipe. Can someone explain? Many thanks.
The H-Pipe does balance out the pressures and slightly helps start the scavange effect on the next exhaust pulse. But it's most effective use when properly placed and sized is for it's tuning function. Sound waves enter the tube changing to a specific frequency that was found to be a problem. Prehaps a droaning noise at highway speeds. With the correct placement in the system and correct inside diameter, sound waves entering the tub shift to the problem frequency. When like frequencies collide, they cancel.

The power comes from opening up the exhaust. A slight add comes from the scavenge effect but ultimately the H-pipe is to counter the noise from opening up the exhaust.

The X-Pipe on the other hand is more effective in sound cancellation. By forcing the exhaust streams to collide, some sound frequencies are cancelled. (In a much larger range than the H-Pipe.) You would think the two exhaust paths colliding would cause more backpressure. In reality, the exhaust flow mass follows the path down the same side. (Bending around the inside of the X.)

The sound frequencies cross paths of the exhaust. Cancellation of like frequencies occur even though the mass of the exhaust flow hits and deflects into the same side pipe.

This is all assuming WOT condition or near full mass flow rate. At lower flow rate, the X-pipe does make the low frequency idle sound a little irratic. Something desireable in a Mustang or Corvette. But a Cadillac wouldn't care for it.

This is used as a band aid in tuning high performance vehicles to meet the legal pass-by requirements. Something that is difficult to do on a car like the Viper Roadster or Corvette.

The X-pipe idea was tried on the Viper roadster but ultimately they used the H-pipe design. If you've ever seen the OE system on a Viper Roadster, the exhaust exits the headers, enters an un-Godly hot converter that I have seen damage body panels and melt basalt packing back into a crystal solid. It runs down the side of the car into the main muffler and then to the rear axle. Then it turns to the opposite side and hits the H-pipe which is over the axle and exits out before the axle on the opposite side of the car. If it were not for the Pass-By requirements, this would be an easy design.

Designs like this and the birth of the X-pipe all stem from the need to meet the requirement. Again, the X-pipe just allows the exhaust to be opened up more while tuning out undesireable frequencies. It's ability to "add" power is a debate most drawn up by aftermarket marketing managers. Everyone loves a gadget.

Last edited by KARR; 09-01-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:22 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by romankrzy
Any comments on this X-Pipe? I would guess you'll need some adapters since it's only 12" but it's stupid cheap and SS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-S...#ht_6599wt_941
Exactly what i bought, $42 shipped i think. Heck of a lot better then any other price ive seen. Ive had it since feb 09. After a short amount of time it will darken alot from heat, but it has held up through me driving through snow and salt on the roads. I 100% recomend it over any other brands simply because they all serve the same function, this just does it at 1/2 price of any others or less.

Get notified of new replies

To x-pipe just installed

Quick Reply: x-pipe just installed