Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'15

Good info I was thinking about joining as well
Old 08-22-2010, 01:07 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts

Very Cheap insurance, I've locked myself out the car once this year and had to have the '89 vert towed home. The best $112 I've spent all year.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:45 AM
romankrzy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had AAA for a few years and then Verizon came out with road side assistance. Under her family plan it covered both of my daughters and her for a total of $5.00 per month on her cell bill. We decided to try it since it was a lot less expensive and it has been good so far. Since my younger daughter is driving the 84 BMW 533i I gave her we have had a few tows :o and it has worked out well.

What I really like about it is that it all works off the main number under the family plan and even if you are riding in someones car and it needs assistance it is covered and you know how college kids cars are
Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Been a member since 1984, discounts on everything, but the biggest help was discount on insurance.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have AAA coverage for my cars and motorcycles. I never had to use it, but knowing it's there is peace of mind.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:30 AM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I switched to Nationwide insurance for roadside assistance. It's $20 semiannually and they use a major roadside carrier for tows etc. It's a great deal but doesn't have the other perks AAA has like trip tiks and travel agency stuff.
Mike
Old 08-23-2010, 11:02 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Nothing but three thumbs up for AAA Auto Club.

Wife and I are both members. Plus we get discounts at NAPA Auto Parts, Payless Shoe Store, area theme/amusement parks, numerous restaurants, etc....
Old 08-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Tommy T-Bone
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Hhmmm. I didn't know about NAPA.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:38 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Tommy T-Bone
Hhmmm. I didn't know about NAPA.
That alone makes it well worth the price of admission, in my book.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 AM
BobNJ
Racer

I always had great experience's with AAA, had it about 15 years now. My wife and I used it many times over the years - flat tire (could not get the lug nuts loose), dead alternator on my wife's car, ignition control failed on my last Chevy. I would highly recommend it.

We have the RV Plus --- with that plan they will come to you with a flat bed, I got it when I had Harley's ( never needed it for my bikes), but still have that plan as I want our cars on a flat bed not on a tow truck, they will take your car 100 miles. If you have one ID card - it can be used for any car - you are out with friend/family in their car, there is trouble - call the 800 number and give the ID on the card and you are set.

Bob
Old 08-24-2010, 11:03 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 352 Posts

Hey guys, I am confused. What is this "waiting in line at the DMV" all about?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:04 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by BobNJ
I always had great experience's with AAA, had it about 15 years now. My wife and I used it many times over the years - flat tire (could not get the lug nuts loose), dead alternator on my wife's car, ignition control failed on my last Chevy. I would highly recommend it.

We have the RV Plus --- with that plan they will come to you with a flat bed, I got it when I had Harley's ( never needed it for my bikes), but still have that plan as I want our cars on a flat bed not on a tow truck, they will take your car 100 miles. If you have one ID card - it can be used for any car - you are out with friend/family in their car, there is trouble - call the 800 number and give the ID on the card and you are set.

Bob
In some states, you can use it to post bail for non-felony traffic offenses, too.

If you’re ever charged with a traffic violation away from home, and wish to contest the charges, you may have to post bond as a guarantee that you’ll appear in court.

As a AAA member, you can use your AAA Bail Bond membership benefit.

Two types of bail bond service are provided:

$1,000 Guaranteed Arrest Bond Certificate – a direct substitute for cash in many states

$5,000 Bail Bond Service – entitles you to have bond posted up to $5,000

Just surrender your AAA membership card to be used against an arrest bond or to secure a bail bond.

http://www.aaacentral.com/membership...s/bailbond.jsp

Last edited by onedef92; 08-24-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:49 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Mostly, I tow my friends and kids cars, but at least that uses up the free ones that would otherwise go unused. I use the travel services about once a year and they are competitive with anything I've found online (except for Southwest which isn't available to any agent). DMV stuff is nice because there are no lines.

They also insure my house & cars ($400/yr for the Vette). HO rates have quintupled since everything burned and exceed current sqft. rebuilding costs - but all the Carriers (I've checked) are the same. One day someone will actually make an insurance company sock away what it takes to pay for a disaster instead of charging for it later. If you're buying insurance, you have to be a Member, so factor that in as a cost when comparing rates. Only had one auto claim for a totalled truck. They were the same as the big guns with a computer search (Mitchell software) that churns out all the local for sale comparables (mileage, equipment and condition) which they averaged for an ACV.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Redghost
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10

I agree with all of the above. I've been a member of AAA for 12 years and love all things that they offer. Except,,,,,,,, I'm looking for "speciality car insurance" for the Vette and my '73 Chevy pick-up. Those two vehicles don't get driven 1000 miles a year, cimbined.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 PM
dfalliaux
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'15

I just joined...they have a special offer going now where they waived the enrollment fee and gave me 1/2 off an associate membership. Good deal
Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,524 Likes on 867 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004
Buy it. Get the premium plan. I get more than my monies worth getting my motorcycle towed every year. Have it for all my kids. Then I dont have to get up in the middle of the night to go get them. Money well spent in my opinion. Plus I dont have to go to the DMV.

Mike
I have been a member for many years and they have always been great. If you are going to tow your Vette, make sure you tell them when you call that you need a flatbed.

Many years ago I was traveling south on I-5 by Buttonwillow about 22:30, in the middle of nowhere, and my alternator gauge was acting crazy. Finally, all the lights dimmed, I realized I was running on battery, there was something wrong with my alternator, and pulled off at Buttonwillow.

I looked under the hood and realized the bolt that held the alternator was gone. I called AAA and when the tow truck showed up, I told him what the problem was. He told me there was an auto parts store, this area is a major truck stop, and they were still open.

He then drove me to the auto parts store, I picked up the best bolt they had, and he drove me back, and loaned me an open end adjustable. I put the bolt and alternator back on. I gave the guy $15 for helping me out.

Total time; 1:17 Total money: AAA Card and a tip. Priceless.

Last edited by Vette Jockey; 08-24-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

plus plan for sure ,other wise you get like 5 mile tow only

Get notified of new replies

To AAA Membership

Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by onedef92
In some states, you can use it to post bail for non-felony traffic offenses, too.

If you’re ever charged with a traffic violation away from home, and wish to contest the charges, you may have to post bond as a guarantee that you’ll appear in court.

As a AAA member, you can use your AAA Bail Bond membership benefit.

Two types of bail bond service are provided:

$1,000 Guaranteed Arrest Bond Certificate – a direct substitute for cash in many states

$5,000 Bail Bond Service – entitles you to have bond posted up to $5,000

Just surrender your AAA membership card to be used against an arrest bond or to secure a bail bond.

http://www.aaacentral.com/membership...s/bailbond.jsp
You seem to be well informed on this point. Experience?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:27 PM
ken1943
Intermediate

I've had the premium plan for quite sometime. My 2 daughters used it a lot while they were in college and I have had to use it several times myself. I have had to use once for my Vette. I wouldn't be without it.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you use Hagerty for insurance look at Hagerty Plus. Its roadside assistance, guaranteed roll back, various levels of service. I have Road Warrior which gives 125 miles free on a roll back, covers all my collectables insured with Hagerty, also my car/truck gooseneck trailer and my daily drivers. Unlimited use in a year. Costs me $65 a year for everything. Here is a link to start you, then you can wade thru all the pages of info. I suggest the best plan, its cheap.

http://www.hagerty.com/us/auto.aspx?id=57976

8Valve

Quick Reply: AAA Membership