C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Collector Status Registration in New Jersey

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:57 AM
dsmaruska
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collector Status Registration in New Jersey

How would one prove a 1996 LT4 qualities for Collector Status? Is this reasonable or am I spitting into the wind?

In the Republic of New Jersey a vehicle can be registered Collector Status provided it is a low production model, or the remaining number of the vehicle original production run is limited. Proof must be submited in writing from the manufacturer, recognized car club or collector organization ... on their letterhead.

BTW, the advantage of Collector Status is no State inspection, lower registration cost and easy to convert to Historic Status when the Vette reaches 25 years old.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:42 PM
BigBlock 72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.vette-net.com/closeup.asp?year=1996

Highlights of This Year:
Grand Sport Appearance Option released (330 horsepower LT4), A total of 6359 LT4 equipped Corvettes were built
Old 08-16-2010, 02:25 PM
jon0108
Drifting

Originally Posted by dsmaruska
How would one prove a 1996 LT4 qualities for Collector Status? Is this reasonable or am I spitting into the wind?

In the Republic of New Jersey a vehicle can be registered Collector Status provided it is a low production model, or the remaining number of the vehicle original production run is limited. Proof must be submited in writing from the manufacturer, recognized car club or collector organization ... on their letterhead.

BTW, the advantage of Collector Status is no State inspection, lower registration cost and easy to convert to Historic Status when the Vette reaches 25 years old.
My 86 is registered Collector status. I did it about 2 or 3 years ago. Go onto the states DMV website and get the number for the "Special Plates" unit and ask them the questions. The person that answers the phone is very helpful, not like the people that work in the local agencies. Your going to have to show proof of collector car insurance. At the time I did mine I didnt have to show the letter your talking about. Big block 72 hit it on the head. Click on that website which shows your vehicle was manufactured in limited numbers. Print it out and it should serve as proof.

Last edited by jon0108; 08-16-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:04 PM
ED77KATR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I registered my 1991 as a collector[classic] car in New Jersey in 2006. A antique has to be 25 years old.... a Classic or Collectors only has to be 15 years old. My 1991 vette has a triangular collectors inspection sticker. But as of August 1,2010 No mechanical inspections are reqired. Emission only, but a collectors car is exempt. Bottom line as of first working day in 2011 [ Jan 3,2011] your 1996 is eligible. it officially becomes 15 years old. you are only 4 & half months away now. Good Luck ed
Old 08-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by jon0108
My 86 is registered Collector status. I did it about 2 or 3 years ago. Go onto the states DMV website and get the number for the "Special Plates" unit and ask them the questions. The person that answers the phone is very helpful, not like the people that work in the local agencies. Your going to have to show proof of collector car insurance. At the time I did mine I didnt have to show the letter your talking about. .
I registered my '88 as a collector car. I did not show them a letter, maybe I was supposed to, I don't know. It cost me $25 at the DMV office.

I then went to the inspection station, they took my odometer reading, told me to ride it about a mile and come back. They wanted to know if the OD worked.

They said it is supposed to be driven less than 3K miles a year. They put a rectangle sticker that says "Collectable" on it.

Now, with no inspection in NJ, except for emissions, maybe all that has changed.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:24 PM
jon0108
Drifting

there is no age requirement for collector car status. The only requirements are:Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle.
Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. Must be printed on official letterhead
Old 08-16-2010, 05:41 PM
ED77KATR
Drifting

I just remember i was told by DMV the car had to be 15 yrs old which it was. Maybe its different now. I also had to show proof of Collector/ Antique car insurance. Answer to Question about inspection sticker. I called and asked today [Idiot in trenton] If i still need a emission sticker for it. According to her a collector/antique does not need a emission. So i presume I never have to visit the Inspection station ever again.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:26 PM
jon0108
Drifting

Its not an emission sticker. It is an inspection sticker. And yes, every two years, even for "collector cars" it needs to be renewed. The new rules really dont apply to collector cars. They were always exempt. Only thing they check for is a working odometer. I guess calling Trenton is the same as asking someone in person at a local agency.
I had a problem trying to get my collector car renewal because my insurance card didnt specifically say "collector car insurance". Same company I had when I got the initial collector car status. I had to have my agent fax a letter saying it was collector car insurance. And then to boot, I was told that I, personally had to prove that I didnt go over the 3,000 miles allotment per year. Supposedly DMV doesnt keep a record. Luckily, I had the original inspection paperwork from 2 years ago that had my mileage on it.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:05 PM
dsmaruska
Advanced

I have all the information except a document, on letterhead, stating the 1996 LT4 is a collectible vehicle. Several website list the LT4 option at 6,359 of 21,536 built and do state it was offered only one year, but this technically doesn't satisfy the requirement. However, if that is all I have then that is what NJMCV will get. Perhaps a NCRS club can help. Any NCRS members out there able to lend a hand?

Last edited by dsmaruska; 08-17-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:14 PM
BobNJ
Racer

This thread caught my attention ------

I have a 94 LT1, got the car in May this year - has 65,500 on the odometer. It is insured with American Collectors insurance in Cherry Hill, so I get a "Collector" insurance rate.

Now I see it mentioned here a few times as to "limited production status" in order to be registered as a collector. Mine was not a limited production.

Does that mean I can not attempt to register my 94 in NJ as a Collector car - even though it's insured as a Collector, thru a Collector insurance company ?

Maybe I can try my luck with MVC that I have an insurance policy showing it's insured as a collector ?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-17-2010, 05:16 PM
jon0108
Drifting

From The NJ website, this is all it says about limited production:
Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. Must be printed on official letterhead.
It doesnt actually give a number. I'm sure Corvettes were produced in limited numbers as say compared to a Ford Taurus or Toyota corolla.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 PM
jon0108
Drifting

Doing a little research showed a 1994 Toyota Camry total production, 347,000 units. 1994 Chevy Corvette 23,000 units. That alone shows that a Corvette is a limited production vehicle.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,584 Likes on 669 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I have all the information except a document, on letterhead, stating the 1996 LT4 is a collectible vehicle. Several website list the LT4 option at 6,359 of 21,536 built and do state it was offered only one year, but this technically doesn't satisfy the requirement. However, if that is all I have then that is what NJMCV will get. Perhaps a NCRS club can help. Any NCRS members out there able to lend a hand?
I just got approval for collector status and inspection. Just send all of the pictures they are looking for of the car (various views). Also, submit any internet info you can find along with the application and a copy of collector insurance. That should do it! It took a month and a half to get mine. They are very backed up.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:39 PM
BobNJ
Racer

Did you have to send a letter in to MVC ? if so, who did you get the letter from stating that your car is limited production ?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,584 Likes on 669 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by BobNJ
Did you have to send a letter in to MVC ? if so, who did you get the letter from stating that your car is limited production ?

Thanks,
Bob
No. What I did was send internet info from the Corvette museum on the Commemorative Editions. It was sufficient.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:50 PM
dsmaruska
Advanced

Mailed the application and supporting docs yesterday, and included a Vette website page with LT4 production stats. No big deal at this point ... all they can say is no. Stay tuned.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 AM
dsmaruska
Advanced

Received a letter from NJMVC approving my Vette for Collector Vehicle Status. I used a few web sites with the low LT4 production and low color combination metrics. And the process only took 10 days! Many thanks to all that replied ... I feel better now.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:29 PM
jon0108
Drifting

Received a letter from NJMVC approving my Vette for Collector Vehicle Status. I used a few web sites with the low LT4 production and low color combination metrics. And the process only took 10 days! Many thanks to all that replied ... I feel better now.
Did you recieve your voucher in the mail from them or do you still have to go to a local dmv and pay the $25 voucher fee?

Get notified of new replies

To Collector Status Registration in New Jersey

Quick Reply: Collector Status Registration in New Jersey