Old 07-19-2010, 09:09 PM
CMYC4GO
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 things in order...

1. Battery

2. Alternator

3. VATS (doubtful)
If in fact it IS your VATS, which I don't think it is, when you turn your key to start the car, there would be no reaction, BUT, your lights wouldn't dim. Your VATS is strictly the ignition, and has no effect on the other functions in the car ie: lights, dash, etc.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:55 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnksf
so more update.first off i dont have a obd reader to get codes and the car isnt running enough to get it to the shop. it starts when it wants to but after a few minutes the dash lights and LCD screen go out completely. after you turn off the car it wont start. i cleaned up the battery and after reconnecting the cables it started fine then went out again

Some one was saying check the vats.....i dont know what that is or where it is help? could this possibly be an alternator problem as well? yesterday while the dash was on i watched the volt meter(while the car was on but not cranked) run from 14.9 to 11.0 in about 30 seconds.

if it is electrical this car may be for sale soon
Vats is not your trouble. If it were, when you turned the key, absolutely nothing would happen, no crank, no click, no nada. I would not worry about stuff like the LCD displays, interior lights, etc. It is very possible that they have nothing to do with your no start problem. I am not a big fan of throwing parts at a problem, but you have yet to mention the age of your battery. If it is anywhere near 3-5 years, just go get a new one. Alot of your starting issues sound like battery problems. At least this will eliminate one variable. The LCD could be a loose bulb.

I doubt it's an alternator problem, because this would mean that you would be driving on battery power, and you wouldn't get very far with an LT1 on just battery power.

It's probably not the starter because the engine cranks, a bad starter would not do that.

Could be fuel. Bad pump, clogged filter, causing slow/no fuel delivery.
Could be optispark, but you would probably experience problems when car was running, plus the ses light would come on. I would think.

But if it were me, I would try a battery first and check connections from the battery to the starter first. A weak battery can run accessories yet not have enough power to turn the starter effectively.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Shawnksf
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Vats is not your trouble. If it were, when you turned the key, absolutely nothing would happen, no crank, no click, no nada. I would not worry about stuff like the LCD displays, interior lights, etc. It is very possible that they have nothing to do with your no start problem. I am not a big fan of throwing parts at a problem, but you have yet to mention the age of your battery. If it is anywhere near 3-5 years, just go get a new one. Alot of your starting issues sound like battery problems. At least this will eliminate one variable. The LCD could be a loose bulb.

I doubt it's an alternator problem, because this would mean that you would be driving on battery power, and you wouldn't get very far with an LT1 on just battery power.

It's probably not the starter because the engine cranks, a bad starter would not do that.

Could be fuel. Bad pump, clogged filter, causing slow/no fuel delivery.
Could be optispark, but you would probably experience problems when car was running, plus the ses light would come on. I would think.

But if it were me, I would try a battery first and check connections from the battery to the starter first. A weak battery can run accessories yet not have enough power to turn the starter effectively.
well both the fuel pump and opti are new as of 6 months ago the battery came with the car so as for age i have no idea. i have had it for two years so its at least that old.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Shawnksf
Racer

o a budy of mine said to look at the body control module that it may be bad. Where is it?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Shawnksf
Racer

no one knows where it is?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:49 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I think it's behind the driver seat in the cubby- passenger side is storage, driver side is BCM- but I'll check my FSM when I get home.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Shawnksf
Racer

in the box with the asr stuff?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:32 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

in the box with the asr stuff?
No, that's the asr stuff - I just looked, no such thing as BSM- it's a CCM (just for kicks). Central Control Module. It's looks like it's located deep inside the dash but trying to get at it would be your last resort. The CCM allows you to run codes, including on itself. There's a good 12 pages dedicated to the procedure to get codes, troubleshooting etc. in the Factory Service Manual. You should look on ebay and get one.

Go here, go down to 'Sequential Code Recovery' where it shows grounding A and G

http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/codes.htm

edit- location per another forum : The CCM definitely needs to come out on the drivers side, as it is bolted to the driver's side inner knee bolster. The Right hand side of the CCM has two large plastic alignment pins that slide into the passenger side inner knee bolster.

A warning to all, if you don't HAVE to take your CCM out, don't do it!!! Had I listened to others that swore the CCM wasn't causing my problems, I would be driving my car after reinstalling the IP. Instead I now have both seats and most of the interior out just so I could get the CCM to seat properly. The CCM mounting bracket was quite a PITA as well, I wasn't able to get all of the bolts back in until I removed the drivers seat and could lay on my back to see up under there.

Last edited by socalman; 07-21-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:02 PM
ezspdr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ezspdr
Something similar happened to me. The car would fire up every day then once in a while would not start. I would leave the car for 30-40 minutes, come back and it would fire right up. The guy who is changing my A/C system out looked at it and it was the battery. The battery had loose posts. The battery is being changed out as we speak.

I posted before that it was my battery with loose posts that caused the car not to start, but it turns out it wasn't. New battery, still won't start sometimes when cold. My mechanic found it was a short in the neutral safety switch and is putting a new on in tomorrow. Cost of the switch $30.00. Of course this is only for auto transmissions.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Shawnksf
Racer

Well a buddy of mine came over and we broke open the dash. There are three relays under the dash to the left of the steering column that are for the starter and the security system. We bypassed it and grounded it out, now the car seems fine. Well this is the third time I thought it was solved so let's see how it lasts
Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Shawnksf
Racer

sooooooooooooooooooo guess what! the car after working for a few days now cranks over but wont start i thought maybe the fuel was low so filled it with a gas can and nothing still. the car has a new battery and new terminals so thats not it. soooo it turns over it started a few times but after a few seconds of running it dies......the fuel pump is priming i can here it....so what now
Old 07-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Shawnksf
Racer

no new ideas?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:13 PM
1st87
Racer

sell it...
Old 07-28-2010, 04:20 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

I know you replaced the opti and fuel pump, but what about the fuel regulator? Have you checked the fuel pressure yet? Are you getting spark? Have you pulled the codes yet, or tried?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Shawnksf
Racer

Originally Posted by F22
I know you replaced the opti and fuel pump, but what about the fuel regulator? Have you checked the fuel pressure yet? Are you getting spark? Have you pulled the codes yet, or tried?
well i cant pull codes cuz i dont have an obd1 and the fuel pressure was fine after i changed the pump
Old 07-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Shawnksf
Racer

Originally Posted by 1st87
sell it...
im already frustrated enough please dont add to it. if you have no helpful suggestions please dont comment
Old 07-28-2010, 05:02 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

well i cant pull codes cuz i dont have an obd1 and the fuel pressure was fine after i changed the pump
What year is your car? The 96 had OBD II, but you can pull the codes on the early C4's by jumping the terminals and reading the SES light.

Secondly, while you may have changed the pump and checked the pressure back then, what set of circumstances says that the fuel pressure regulator is still good or not?

Get notified of new replies

To Help help ignition problem

Old 07-28-2010, 05:06 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

im already frustrated enough please dont add to it. if you have no helpful suggestions please dont comment
Sell it. No no I'm just kidding, sorry.

Not sure I understand, but I thought it was OBDI up to 96 before OBDII was fully implemented or are you saying your OBD port doesn't work...? If port is dead that may be your best place to start work.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:06 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by F22
What year is your car? The 96 had OBD II
Quick draw

Old 07-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Shawnksf
Racer

no no i dont have a reader and the car doesnt run so i cant get it to the shop so i dont know how else to the the codes its a 92 so its obd1

Quick Reply: Help help ignition problem