St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Sweet 90
I lost mine in parking lot once. Took me an hour to find it
I hate when that happens..."where the F did I park?"
Old 07-09-2010, 04:06 PM
r15
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the back end break loose twice now while giving it a bit making a turn. The first time it took me by surprise because I haven't turned off ASR often, and the second time it was fun. I have 315s in back, so if I let up on the gas it sticks and gets right back into position.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:04 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned this Vette for about 7 months now and have done some spirited driving. I wanted to know the limitations of the beast. I raced SCCA nationals circuit for about 8 years and then went to IMSA and road raced there for about 7 more. I'm as comfortable drifting around a corner as I am cruising on the interstate.

That Jeremy guy is nuts because this car is very neutral handling. I've pushed the limits, had the rear hung out at speed and everything tucks back in whenever I needed it to. I didn't notice any tendency towards excessive understeer at all. If the rear breaks loose and you give it gas it will come around. Any powerful car would, well.....not Porsche's. When a Porsche gets loose (oversteer) and you let off the gas the rear end will pass you. But if you add a little power while the rear is out it will tuck back in behind where it belongs. (trailing throttle oversteer). This is completely backwards and not instinctive at all.

I do believe that the suspension is a little harsh for a street car, even a sports car. There is a tendency for mine to skitter over bumps in a turn. GM didn't allow the suspension to work very well at all but the final effect is still very good.

I'm thinking coilovers, lighter springs, heavier anti-sway bars and a little creativity on the rear suspension mounts and this would be a world class machine. In case you're wondering........I LIKE IT!!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,527 Likes on 870 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by Sweet 90
I lost mine in parking lot once. Took me an hour to find it
Old 07-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Old87owner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been a few times where I have looked and looked for my Vette in a mall parking lot. Only to remember a bit later, I wasnt in it when I parked, I was driving my Truck. I sure felt stupid. I did that with my wife once. Erffy..

Usually it happens when I have made a few runs to the dump, lumber yard and picking up a few things in my truck, the day after I have made some sort of drive in my Vette.

I just drive my Vette a bit wild at times, but I mostly bought mine to be a fun summer time type car. I have never lost it.

The only thing I have lost in my Vette is my mind. I dont miss it much.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:35 PM
eatmydst1234
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has gotten loose on me on the street before, but it was at a place where the road has a steep crown, it's easy for any car to get loose, that particular day I was turning left and there was another C4 on the other side trying to turn right, I started off and the car went sideways, after straightening out I looked in the mirror and the person in the other looked like they were idleing it into there lane.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

No i haven't, but my frame of reference is 2 camaro's and
a firebird, so the Vette sticks like glue to the road, relatively speaking...
Old 07-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Klondike
Team Owner

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Almost Easy to catch it though. 1st time I turned off the ASR to see what it would do; mashed the throttle in 3rd and in a flash, I was looking at the median grass! Caught it though.
Nearly pushed the front wheels into a curb once when in the middle of a turn, it just decided it didn't want to go that way any more.... That one puckered my shorts$$
Old 07-09-2010, 11:45 PM
AstroMan1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably would laugh at that guy and tell him he is a bad driver!
The only time my car does that is when I want it to!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:25 AM
Z06X
Burning Brakes

I agree that the car is pretty neutral, though like any rear wheel drive car with an LSD/Posi etc, it'll rotate with throttle and eventually step out. I have 315's on my car in the rear and it sticks extremely well given the mods. I've had it on Beaveruns North Track several times to search for it's limit.

My particular tire combination unfortunately doesn't give much warning and lets go suddenly. I had to push pretty hard with some substantial throttle though, and though it caught me off guard I kept it on the track and pointed in the right direction.

If your reaction is to panic and let off the gas suddenly once sideways your likely swappin ends. You have to stay in the throttle but reduce to the extent you regain some traction but not suddenly. Also, people tend to overcompensate with steering which snaps the car back violently. Panic causes people to spin, point blank. You can't always avoid it, but most of the time you can. It takes practice and for people who aren't track experienced or extreme street driving experienced (that's what we'll call it...lol) you'll lose it once it's sideways to any extent.

One of the deadly factors is the traction control. Lose it sideways and you've got no throttle control available because of the traction control interference. Good for people who drive beneath the envelope but if you truly push the car the traction control will put you in trouble.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:08 AM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

As for parking... I really couldnt find my Vette here... Im not kiddn, I felt funny walking around looking for my Vette! I just pretended to look at all the nice Vettes!!! This was the only time I ever had trouble!

Old 07-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Z06X
Burning Brakes

That's a serious freakin Vette gathering!
Old 07-10-2010, 01:20 AM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by arctic 92
That's a serious freakin Vette gathering!
Yep, over 800 Vettes! I honestly couldnt find my Vette! I was just walking by every red one where I thought I parked and hoped the doors would unlock!
Old 07-10-2010, 01:26 AM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

My C4 handles like it is on rails. With that said any high performance car will do things a normal car cannot. However a normal car will make all kinds of squeels and scary noises before it breaks free. Performance cars tend to break free with little warning, even though it is way after the normal car is upside down in a ditch. Add in 300 ponies and lots of torque, sure you can get into trouble, but that is your responsibility as the driver.

Also the advantage of having all that extra surface area of a 10" wide tire in dry conditions is a real disadvantage in wet or snowy conditions. It distibutes the weight of the car over a greater area so it is less lbs per sq inch, which of course is less effective in pushing the water aside.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:03 AM
2HIP4U
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Apparently Mr. Clarkson has never driven a 911...

Old 07-10-2010, 02:09 AM
Red.
Instructor

Originally Posted by dogfish246
As for parking... I really couldnt find my Vette here... Im not kiddn, I felt funny walking around looking for my Vette! I just pretended to look at all the nice Vettes!!! This was the only time I ever had trouble!
Holy Vette-gasm.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:38 AM
ATX85
Heel & Toe

2nd day i had my car i was messing around pulling out of my driveway and spun it all the way around...my heart was pounding out of my chest yet i still had a smile on my face. Lately we've got a lot of rain in the Austin area and i had to drive the vette last week in a down pour and it felt like everytime i touched the gas the backend wanted to kick out(tires are not new but dont need to be replaced) im from michigan and tell my buddies that driving on the slick texas roads in rain is almost as bad as driving in snow....never drove the vette in the snow though

Get notified of new replies

To Have you ever lost your C4

Old 07-10-2010, 09:10 AM
five-oh
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 29 Posts

I took a guy who was badgering me to sell my '93 to him for a "test ride" the other day. He was telling me it wasn't near as powerful as he'd expected a 'vette to be, and seemed to be disappointed. So, when I turned around to take him back to his truck, I got on it a bit with the traction control off. Back end came around nicely, passenger freaks, we return home. Very controllable, I'd think the driver would almost have to be not paying attention to lose it. Mine is a weak little Lt1/auto/2:59 with 183k on it though.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Hideki
Racer

Heck I lose this thing all the time. Like said earlier, in parking lots full of oversized SUVs my lowered C4 gets practically swallowed whole by all sorts of soccer mom mobiles. As far as losing control, I do it for fun all the time! I lost this thing for real once when some guy stole it. I was worried for weeks, I finally just accepted the fact it was gone forever, when I get a phone call from the Police. "Your car is recovered, pick it up at so and so tow yard" I asked what shape it was in and they said they dont know, click! (hanging up the phone) I get to the tow yard, all I see is crumbled hulks, or crumbled burned-out hulks. Crap, my car was totalled, but sure enough sticking out like a giant plastic red ruby was my almost perfect C4. Yeah it got thrashed (and rubbed against something) and some interior bits were broken but I got it back
Old 07-10-2010, 12:12 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by dogfish246

You did look lost!

"Let's see, I think it was a red one......."

"I'm getting close- is it in here? Man, my butt sure got swollen in the sun..."

Last edited by socalman; 07-10-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Have you ever lost your C4